Slot option

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Is it possible the best cb option if the Bears don't acquire someone else is moving vildor to slot and putting burns outside? Burns is likely a slight downgrade from vildor, but vildor has to be an upgrade from the trash at NB

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
IMO Vildor is not a slot. Said that after first watching his tape last spring. Plays strong and physical, but doesn't have the lateral quickness to play without a boundary to help him.
Is he better than Shelley and Christian though?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Is he better than Shelley and Christian though?
Not sure, but Burns has been total ass anytime he's played in a real game for years. Why have two weak positions instead of one weak and one average?

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Not sure, but Burns has been total ass anytime he's played in a real game for years. Why have two weak positions instead of one weak and one average?
I'm really just looking for a solution where nb won't be picked apart all season. Burns seemed about as good as vildor in preseason but that was just preseason

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I'm really just looking for a solution where nb won't be picked apart all season. Burns seemed about as good as vildor in preseason but that was just preseason
Vildor looks alright outside and could be a real find for a 5th rounder. I wouldn't make him learn another spot, especially when I didn't draft him to play there. Maybe try to find a nickel you can pick up or trade for if the team looks better over the next few weeks, or just wait until the offseason.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As was mentioned in the MNF broadcast, teams are beginning to move their best CB into the slot position to cover those 2 way routes. The importance in stopping that slot position has grown exponentially over the last few seasons, as offenses are now being driven more and more through the slot. I remember reading a PFF study a year or two ago that made the case that a pass to the slot receiver is the most efficient and effective play an offense can make. The Bears are in huge trouble if they can’t get this position figured out.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Could always bring back Buster Skrine he can’t be worse than this.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
Is it possible the best cb option if the Bears don't acquire someone else is moving vildor to slot and putting burns outside? Burns is likely a slight downgrade from vildor, but vildor has to be an upgrade from the trash at NB
I had this same thought today. Burns looked good to me in preseason. He would only need to play in nickel situations. Playing Shelley is not working. Why not try it.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I don't know about moving Vildor to Slot.

I just think the Bears are simply in the position they have to let their young talent develop on the field.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I had this same thought today. Burns looked good to me in preseason. He would only need to play in nickel situations. Playing Shelley is not working. Why not try it.

LOL. So after 1 game in his first year starting at nickel you already know what he is? Maybe we could give him a few games and actually let him develop.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
It would probably be a good idea to give Shelley more than one game before we call him a bust.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
LOL. So after 1 game in his first year starting at nickel you already know what he is? Maybe we could give him a few games and actually let him develop.
I am not writing him off but he is not playing well and is our biggest weakness on D currently. Instead of watching him continually get burned in the slot why not tray out another combination if the coaches like what they have in Burns. I have no idea if they do.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I think you just gotta hope Duke Shelley gets better. It's not a great situation but its basically all you've got.

Its become its own position with its own positional traits. You can't just stick a cornerback at nickel and expect it to work, conversely a lot of nickels struggle on the outside. Duke Shelley is probably the best they've got. Buster Skrine was cooked. The guy had like three concussion last year if memory serves. He ain't walking through that door.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I am not writing him off but he is not playing well and is our biggest weakness on D currently. Instead of watching him continually get burned in the slot why not tray out another combination if the coaches like what they have in Burns. I have no idea if they do.
I think the biggest weakness is still the rush backers. Cincinnati has no offensive line, anything less than what we saw out of Mack and Quinn last Sunday would've been a disaster. They need to look like that against quality opponents or you'll see the Bears defense more resemble the Rams game the rest of the season.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
I think you gotta give him a few more games before you do that.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
Possible. I don't know what he doing out there on some plays and he looks like a major liability. Time will tell.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Could always bring back Buster Skrine he can’t be worse than this.
C'mon, Buster had his many faults but was not nearly this bad