OFFICIAL Justin Fields to Start over the Browns

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
I think health plays a big roll since it allows Fields to start. It gives Fields the opportunity to prove himself. So yes Dalton looked better the first 2 games, but there is also a chance that Fields looks better than Dalton the next 2 games. It’s a question mark right now but something you have to consider when taking about the best QB “right now”.
Not really. Dalton has been starter 11 years we know exactly what he looks like when healthy. Dalton’s injury allows Fields to show himself but I believe right now that when both QBs are healthy Dalton is better. That’s my point if it’s not clear.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
If you roll with Fields you aren’t playing the best player in the moment. Which is fine it just changes the narratives and expectations around this season. It’s no longer about winning the most football games.
And if Fields plays above average QB, not great, just above average.

He would then match what Dalton would give you, but also would be gaining valuable experience.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
“Guaranteeing” a mediocre QB his job back no matter what the outcome is? What if Fields plays great the next couple weeks and then gets benched. I think that would piss off or upset anyone who is as competitive as Fields is.
Do you think that the players believe the coach speak that is coming out of Nagy's mouth?

He is giving himself an easy out.

Situation 1: Fields plays great.

"Well, Dalton is still week to week".

Rinse repeat until the season is over, maybe adding a setback comment.

Situation 2: Fields struggles at a Zach-Wilson-week-2 level.

"No, I am not benching Fields for his play. I thought that he was doing some special things out there and growing leaps and bounds week to week. He is going to be special. However; I said that Dalton was going to start when he was ready and he is ready."

This was not hard to figure out. Nagy does not fool most people. Neither opposing defenses, the team's players, the national media nor most Bears fans.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Strap in, boyos. Fields is going to have his necessary ups and downs. If we lose, or he doesn't play well... EXPECT MELTDOWNS. ?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Do you think that the players believe the coach speak that is coming out of Nagy's mouth?

"No, I am not benching Fields for his play. I thought that he was doing some special things out there and growing leaps and bounds week to week. He is going to be special. However; I said that Dalton was going to start when he was ready and he is ready."

This was not hard to figure out. Nagy does not fool most people. Neither opposing defenses, the team's players, the national media nor most Bears fans.
It's actually the smartest thing he could have said given the situation. I'm not sure why people are freaking out about it.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Nagy coming out saying Dalton is starting when he is healthy sounds like a pretty confident thing to say. And that’s why I put “guaranteeing” in quotes.
You are looking at the wrong end.

You see "guarantee" when you should be looking at "ready to play".

That "ready to play" is when Nagy decides that it is in Nagy's best interests for him to be "ready to play", not some doctor thinking that he is really ready to play.

The players know it, including Justin.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Strap in, boyos. Fields is going to have his necessary ups and downs. If we lose, or he doesn't play well... EXPECT MELTDOWNS. ?
Without a doubt. I look forward to @Black Rainbow creating 17 threads about Pace wasting first round picks.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Not really. Dalton has been starter 11 years we know exactly what he looks like when healthy. Dalton’s injury allows Fields to show himself but I believe right now that when both QBs are healthy Dalton is better. That’s my point if it’s not clear.
What do Daltons past 11 years have to do with the 2021 Bears? Hes not the same player he was 11 years ago as he is today. In fact, he’s been mediocre at best the past few seasons.

A hypothetical question for you. If Fields plays pretty damn good, goes 2-0 the next couple games and looks legit, will you still think Dalton is the better QB?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
It's actually the smartest thing he could have said given the situation. I'm not sure why people are freaking out about it.
Absolutely!

Some people in the national media had already proposed this exact scenario, giving Nagy an out depending on what happens, good or bad.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:

Veterans no but rookies I think listen to an extent. The problem is Nagy believing in himself and his Be You mentality. Nagy has been stuck in his KC mold and and hasn’t shaken it off yet. I’m not disagreeing with what you mentioned in your comment, but I also think there is a chance that Nagy goes back to Dalton no matter what because of his “plan”. I don’t agree with it, but I also don’t trust Nagy.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
I’m not freaking out about it but also don’t think it was the smartest thing to say. I think there were better ways to approach the situation.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Dalton is on the downside of a mediocre career that has spiraled down to fucking awful the last 6 seasons and is 0-4 in the playoffs with 57.8 passer rating. You think Fields is worse over the rest of the season than that?

Unless you are suggesting that they are on opposing trajectories and you think Fields gets better by sidelines osmosis and Nagy will know the minute they intersect and insert Fields at the exact moment that he absorbed enough that he is better than Drew Dalton.
Your not suggesting that are you?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Sure but again isn’t the point to win games? If the DL is weak and Chubb is able to rack up yards and touch downs Justin will find himself in a shootout that he’s not experienced enough to win.
So who should be starting against the Browns, in your estimation?

An injured Dalton that has become an "uninjured Foles" because of his injury?

An uninjured Foles, an immobile statue, because mother mature and father time gave him little physical ability and then stole whatever small amount of ability that he was first given?

A rookie QB who has to gain experience, has to take the easy read sometimes, but has some physical gifts not often seen together in one player?

Make the emergency QB, Montgomery the starter because the Browns defense is susceptible to runs?

That is it. I gave you every single option available (unless Cohen comes back this week).

Which of these 4 options gives the Bears a better chance of winning against a defense that has two stud rushers, but is susceptible to the run from the RBs and the QB?

Reactions: DC

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
What do Daltons past 11 years have to do with the 2021 Bears? Hes not the same player he was 11 years ago as he is today. In fact, he’s been mediocre at best the past few seasons.

A hypothetical question for you. If Fields plays pretty damn good, goes 2-0 the next couple games and looks legit, will you still think Dalton is the better QB?
I thought you had enough with the hypotheticals.

And at that point no. If fields looks good beating Cleveland, he’s better, since I don’t expect Andy to be able to accomplish that.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Dalton is on the downside of a mediocre career that has spiraled down to fucking awful the last 6 seasons and is 0-4 in the playoffs with 57.8 passer rating. You think Fields is worse over the rest of the season than that?

Unless you are suggesting that they are on opposing trajectories and you think Fields gets better by sidelines osmosis and Nagy will know the minute they intersect and insert Fields at the exact moment that he absorbed enough that he is better than Drew Dalton.
Your not suggesting that are you?
I saw nothing Sunday that made me think he is currently better than Dalton. Again, given Andy’s week to week status, it really doesn’t matter as Justin will be playing. I don’t IMO what to tell you that’s just my opinion.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
So who should be starting against the Browns, in your estimation?

An injured Dalton that has become an "uninjured Foles" because of his injury?

An uninjured Foles, an immobile statue, because mother mature and father time gave him little physical ability and then stole whatever small amount of ability that he was first given?

A rookie QB who has to gain experience, has to take the easy read sometimes, but has some physical gifts not often seen together in one player?

Make the emergency QB, Montgomery the starter because the Browns defense is susceptible to runs?

That is it. I gave you every single option available (unless Cohen comes back this week).

Which of these 4 options gives the Bears a better chance of winning against a defense that has two stud rushers, but is susceptible to the run from the RBs and the QB?
I’ve said I believe Justin should start given Andy’s injury. Also, I already wanted Justin to take over week 4, so to me, there’s no point in Justin going back to QB2 following this week unless he majorly shits the bed and starts losing us games, which I don’t think will be the case.