Fields vs Browns

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

Sack 2 - Freeze this at 37 seconds. Fields is looking at Mooney who is open for an easy pass. Instead Fields holds it for some inexplicable reason and is sacked. Like again, this is the fucking NFL. You can't just sit there waiting for something better. Mooney has completely beat his man and if Fields throws this with anticipation Mooney is still running. If this is Dalton the ball is already out. Sorry Bears fans, the kid is not ready.
Thanks for breaking these down as usual. This play I remember seeing live and was like WTF? This is a simple RPO. Fields has run this 1000 times in his life. Last year, he hits Garrett Wilson on this and he probably scores on those shitty college defenses. IDK where the hell his head was. He wasn't even getting beat up at this point.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would. What good came out of today? Seriously, in what respect did he take a step forward as a QB?

You dont just learn from good. He made a fuck ton of mistakes on tape and now we see how he responds to playing like ass.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Disagree. This is basic coaching and film review that anyone can do. The only question is how quickly can Fields learn from it and can he speed up his processing time. But this isn't rocket science. It is pretty obvious that when you come to the end of your drop, the ball is supposed to come out and it is pretty obvious on tape when it did not in Fields case.
you keep believing that, go back and watch Trubisky against Stanford, he is who he was....now watch this and tell me what you really see

msadows

Liked Posts:
You dont just learn from good. He made a fuck ton of mistakes on tape and now we see how he responds to playing like ass.

That is 100% true.

Honestly, you learn from failure more than anything. How he comes out next week and performs will be a big step in his development.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Which is why we just need to go back to dalton. You can’t commit to him once Dalton is healthy and then go back to Dalton. You just can’t do it.
To me sitting him won’t help because I can’t see Nagy truly coaching him. If it were Reid I’d be for it but Nagy?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Thanks for breaking these down as usual. This play I remember seeing live and was like WTF? This is a simple RPO. Fields has run this 1000 times in his life. Last year, he hits Garrett Wilson on this and he probably scores on those shitty college defenses. IDK where the hell his head was. He wasn't even getting beat up at this point.

Exactly. There is nothing complex about this read and he turns a big gain into a big sack due to his indecision and his indecision alone. You can't blame Nagy for his missing this.

This was a 3 sack game that Fields himself turned into a 9 sack game.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
My conclusions - Nagy should be fired, the OL still sucks balls, and his WRs are not helping him much. Having said all of that, I did not see anything in this game that shows me that Fields understands what he is trying to do out there. He has very little pocket awareness and is routinely late which when your OL and OC suck is just compounding his problems.

To be clear, I really don't care about Nagy or the OL. Nagy should be fired soon and everyone on this OL aside from Whitehair is probably not starting next year as I expect it to be Jenkins, Borom, Whitehair, new C and new RG. So yeah they are shit and you can try and blame them 100% for everything but the issue right now long term is Fields is taking too long to feel pressure or go thru reads. You can try and roll him out all you want but if he continues to miss reads and take too long, teams will be ready for the roll outs like the Browns were.

And frankly rolling him out doesn't solve the problem. It just kicks the can down the road for the new regime. If we get nothing out of this season, Fields needs to learn to sit in the pocket and get the ball out at the end of his drop 70% of the time. Then he can ad lib or take his time the other 30%. Right now he rarely if ever throws at the end of his drop and just waits and waits and waits until his preferred route is open. That may work at OSU but it will not work in the NFL.

So the Bears have a choice. You can put lipstick on the pig and try and hide his deficiencies by rolling him out or you can continue to call plays in the pocket until he gets it thru his head that his long term survival in the NFL is going to come from getting the ball out on time. Once he has a basic understanding of that then you can add wrinkles. This isn't about rolling him out to try and win useless games this year. This is about getting him to learn the position so he can succeed long term and he needs to throw on fucking time if he wants to succeed.
Nagy should be fired like you said and mainly because it seems he can not develop QBs and is a shit playcaller.

And if Nagy can not develop a QB and is a shit playcaller, then is it fair to judge Fields after his first NFL start? A start on the road against a playoff team? I agree with everything you said on each throw. Although it would be helpful to see the all 22 on a few of those reads. I just think that they are setting him up to fail. I have every reason to believe that he is not even getting the PROPER reps in practice. Nagy said that Fields showed him some stuff he didn't think he could do in practice. Well, WTF was that? Was it something that matters come game day? Obviously not...

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
To me sitting him won’t help because I can’t see Nagy truly coaching him. If it were Reid I’d be for it but Nagy?

If he was sitting it would be DeFelippo coaching him as Nagy would be focused on the starters and game"plan."

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The first time Nagy rolled him out and changed the launch point was to the left with a right handed QB. You can’t make this shit up.

He’s lucky he wasn’t hammered trying to square up his shoulders to get the ball off.
Is that the one, where Garrett was unblocked and the rollout was right to him lol

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
you keep believing that, go back and watch Trubisky against Stanford, he is who he was....now watch this and tell me what you really see

I see a guy largely throwing on time in college windows. Not sure your point. It is clear he did bot throw on time today.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nagy should be fired like you said and mainly because it seems he can not develop QBs and is a shit playcaller.

And if Nagy can not develop a QB and is a shit playcaller, then is it fair to judge Fields after his first NFL start? A start on the road against a playoff team? I agree with everything you said on each throw. Although it would be helpful to see the all 22 on a few of those reads. I just think that they are setting him up to fail. I have every reason to believe that he is not even getting the PROPER reps in practice. Nagy said that Fields showed him some stuff he didn't think he could do in practice. Well, WTF was that? Was it something that matters come game day? Obviously not...

Yes it is fair because he can be judged based on the things within his control. Nagy is at fault for not giving him better and more opportunities but Fields is at fault for fucking up royally the opportunities he did have.

This is not either/or. You evaluate Fields on the things he can control like throwing on time.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Yes it is fair because he can be judged based on the things within his control. Nagy is at fault for not giving him better and more opportunities but Fields is at fault for fucking up royally the opportunities he did have.

This is not either/or. You evaluate Fields on the things he can control like throwing on time.
Yes, but is it realistic to expect a rookie to come into his first start on the road vs a good to great team and do these things? That is with a terrible coach and offensive line? Like what QB in the NFL would succeed here on game number 1?

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Yes, but is it realistic to expect a rookie to come into his first start on the road vs a good to great team and do these things? That is with a terrible coach and offensive line? Like what QB in the NFL would succeed here on game number 1?
Correct. We are not, not holding him accountable. It’s just that there are more concerning things to deal with that would give Fields a better chance of throwing on time.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Is it realistic to expect a rookie to throw the ball when he is staring at a wide open guy? Yes.

What QBs would throw when a guy is open? I can think of a few.

It is not like they confused him or we are talking complicated reads. He missed easy stuff.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Y’all, remy isnt damning Fields. Dude still has a lot to learn and unfortunately he has a big as anchor on him making it harder named S.S Nagy. Dude needs to pull the trigger

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Y’all, remy isnt damning Fields. Dude still has a lot to learn and unfortunately he has a big as anchor on him making it harder named S.S Nagy. Dude needs to pull the trigger

Correct. He just needs to throw the fucking ball when he actually has a guy open.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I don't think he is calling Fields a bust or anything. I just think that a lot of rookie QBs struggle as it is. And the play well as a rookie in spite of Nagy is going to be almost impossible. There were a few times though that him holding onto the ball was very disappointing. At the same time though, I would like to know if they have been working on this in practice. I would not be surprised if Nagy has not even addressed this to Fields.