Fields vs Browns

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Is it realistic to expect a rookie to throw the ball when he is staring at a wide open guy? Yes.

What QBs would throw when a guy is open? I can think of a few.

It is not like they confused him or we are talking complicated reads. He missed easy stuff.

yeah, that’s great and all and I see that you’re being forced to say the same things 40 times because we all refuse to accept your observation so can you please just say it’s not Justin’s fault so we can sleep comfortably tonight? Please?

We know you said Nagy should be fired and that’s awesome. We all,agree. But we also noticed that you threw some shade on Justin and that’s not cool. So just for us can you say that it wasn’t Justin’s fault? We need this. Can you do a minor retraction for our mental health?

hckypro19ja

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m not saying to completely cover him up but as a rookie limit his mistakes. Nagy is just throwing him out there and saying fuck it. Hell dumb down the playbook if needed
Dumb down the playbook? Isnt that what we had to do with the massive draft bust that is Trubisky?

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Lol

op: I dont think Nagy is good. I think he should be fired. i also think Justin played really bad.

ccs: yeah, but can you really blame Justin when the coach is that bad?

op: yeah, you can grade him on his own merits outside of the play calling or coach.

ccs: yeah, but can you really blame him when the coach is calling awful plays?

op: Yeah, you can. The plays have nothing to do with holding the ball too long and having no presence or awareness.

ccs: yeah, but can you really blame him when the coach is incompetent?

tcmtrinity

Liked Posts:
It’s only one game. But sheesh, I can’t remember even Trubillski looking that bad. Even with the throws to phantom receivers, at least Trubs got the ball out his hands.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My conclusions - Nagy should be fired, the OL still sucks balls, and his WRs are not helping him much. Having said all of that, I did not see anything in this game that shows me that Fields understands what he is trying to do out there. He has very little pocket awareness and is routinely late which when your OL and OC suck is just compounding his problems.

To be clear, I really don't care about Nagy or the OL. Nagy should be fired soon and everyone on this OL aside from Whitehair is probably not starting next year as I expect it to be Jenkins, Borom, Whitehair, new C and new RG. So yeah they are shit and you can try and blame them 100% for everything but the issue right now long term is Fields is taking too long to feel pressure or go thru reads. You can try and roll him out all you want but if he continues to miss reads and take too long, teams will be ready for the roll outs like the Browns were.

And frankly rolling him out doesn't solve the problem. It just kicks the can down the road for the new regime. If we get nothing out of this season, Fields needs to learn to sit in the pocket and get the ball out at the end of his drop 70% of the time. Then he can ad lib or take his time the other 30%. Right now he rarely if ever throws at the end of his drop and just waits and waits and waits until his preferred route is open. That may work at OSU but it will not work in the NFL.

So the Bears have a choice. You can put lipstick on the pig and try and hide his deficiencies by rolling him out or you can continue to call plays in the pocket until he gets it thru his head that his long term survival in the NFL is going to come from getting the ball out on time. Once he has a basic understanding of that then you can add wrinkles. This isn't about rolling him out to try and win useless games this year. This is about getting him to learn the position so he can succeed long term and he needs to throw on fucking time if he wants to succeed.
This and his crappy game last week was actually better though still bad by any measure. People watched his play with bee(a)r glasses. Holding the ball and not taking open reads early in the progression was blatantly obvious last week as well. Pocket awareness has been an issue since college and I bet they haven't been specifically challenging Fields with that in camp etc. Fix what's wrong before you develop the finer points. Tell him he can't start his reads for a 2 count, make him glance at the line and make a quick choice. Something.

As bad as the line was, and it was, Nagy did shit to help them and some of the misses were not even just getting physically beat. They were poorly prepared and out schemed besides. Mandate the O to Lazor and lose Nagy before next year. Lose Pace as well. If hasn't been able to see what we see and correct it by now along with his horrible cap management/personnel decisions, he has no business being the GM. He has given Nagy everything he's ever asked for and this? F 'm both.

Last edited:

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder if Fields has thought about quitting yet?

He is in an impossible situation

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It’s only one game. But sheesh, I can’t remember even Trubillski looking that bad. Even with the throws to phantom receivers, at least Trubs got the ball out his hands.
Before 2019, Mitch was an escape artist that couldn't read and this o made him a gun shy, tentative QB that still couldn't read. I don't think Fields can get ruined and I doubt Mitch will ever be a starter but if anything can fuck up a prospect, it's games like yesterday.

Nagy is trying to polish a diamond but may instead be creating cracks.

JurisFrog

Liked Posts:
Fields looked lost. The “dark space” comment is worrisome.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I guess if you really do think Nagy and the OL are going to be replaced there’s no point in worrying about it?

Maybe. It's the only thing I can think of why he is all over Fields for his first ever start and just nodding in Nagy's direction with blame while Nagy is the architect and the one responsible for helping the kid in his first ever start.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I am sorry but you want a QB to be further along in terms of getting thru progressions than this if they are going to start in the NFL.

Meh, I'm not sure you can expect too much of that in his first NFL start. We should've expected a simplified playbook cutting down his decision making and slowly expanding as he got better/played more.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Meh, I'm not sure you can expect too much of that in his first NFL start. We should've expected a simplified playbook cutting down his decision making and slowly expanding as he got better/played more.

He had Net 1 yard passing and on many of those sacks he could have gotten rid of the ball. That is not the expectation rookie or not.

Now we will see how he does against the Lions as one of his good traits is that he seems to be a pretty fast learning.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Maybe. It's the only thing I can think of why he is all over Fields for his first ever start and just nodding in Nagy's direction with blame while Nagy is the architect and the one responsible for helping the kid in his first ever start.

I have been down on Nagy since 2018. There is no point beating that dead horse.

I am also on record as saying Ifedi, Daniels and Ifedi suck and should not be re-signed and Peters went to grade school with Adam.

There are plenty of other threads to properly bash them. This thread is about Fields development and it was lacking last week for reasons beyond Nagy or the OL.

It was also just one game but I am not here to coddle him and blame everyone else for his missing basic reads.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
He had Net 1 yard passing and on many of those sacks he could have gotten rid of the ball. That is not the expectation rookie or not.

Now we will see how he does against the Lions as one of his good traits is that he seems to be a pretty fast learning.

He had .78 seconds to throw on average. I'm not absolving him of his terrible play, and you and I have both been on him about holding the ball too long, but I think he was asked to do too much in this game while also having the WRs run short routes that the DBs were sitting on. He was put in a position to fail.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I have been down on Nagy since 2018. There is no point beating that dead horse.

I am also on record as saying Ifedi, Daniels and Ifedi suck and should not be re-signed and Peters went to grade school with Adam.

There are plenty of other threads to properly bash them. This thread is about Fields development and it was lacking last week for reasons beyond Nagy or the OL.

It was also just one game but I am not here to coddle him and blame everyone else for his missing basic reads.
LOL At Fields "lacking development" in his first ever start and ignoring that that is literally Nagy's responsibility.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He had .78 seconds to throw on average. I'm not absolving him of his terrible play, and you and I have both been on him about holding the ball too long, but I think he was asked to do too much in this game while also having the WRs run short routes that the DBs were sitting on. He was put in a position to fail.

I have seen that metric but not sure where it comes from. You have a source. When I look at other metrics it is not that low.

I think 7 of 11 sacks he held the ball for more than 4.5 seconds. Granted that includes scrambling but that also means he didnt get rid of the ball after he was out of the pocket abd took sacks.