It's Not Just the Play Calling

jive

Liked Posts:
When a team gets gang raped like a prison bitch and then sold for a pack of cigarettes, 9/10 times it's due to a terrible game plan.

When it comes to terrible game plans, this has been the worst I've ever seen.
Worse than when we lost to the Giants in 2010 when Jay got sacked 9 times in the first half. The game plan by Martz was totally fucked.
Worse than when the Patriots drubbed us 51-23 in 2014, and when the Packers embarrassed us 55-14. Mel Tucker was unfit for the NFL.

When your game plan is fucked, everything that stems from it (play calling, execution, personnel, etc.) is fucked. If the game plan is fucked then the team will be practicing plays that won't work, making adjustments that are irrelevant, and basically wasting their time. If the team doesn't practice plays that can be used in game-time adjustments during the week, they are going to be hesitant to make them during an actual game or fail to execute if they try. You can make the best vegetarian meal in the world, but it's going to fly like a lead balloon if you try to serve it at a BBQ full of Stans. You can practice a set of killer Country music only to have it bomb because you're playing at a Hip Hop festival. You can prepare an awesome arsenal of samurai swords that won't do shit against an army with automatic weapons. This loss to the Browns shows just how much Nagy brought a knife to a gun fight.

Last edited:

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
At least we scored points with Marc Trestman sometimes. The only reason Nagy hasn't been fired, is because we still have a decent defense.

If our defense was a Mel Tucker level of bad, Nagy wouldn't be getting bailed out and elevating the overall team from terrible to mediocre/average.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Matt Nagy seriously looked like he was trying his hardest to make Fields look terrible in his debut.

nagy just kept choosing shit that didnt work over and over. at this point you just sit fields and hope the next coach can erase everything that nagy "taught" him. nagy has zero answers when teams figure him out and the browns did that after the 2nd possession and he wont adjust either

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
At least we scored points with Marc Trestman sometimes. The only reason Nagy hasn't been fired, is because we still have a decent defense.

If our defense was a Mel Tucker level of bad, Nagy wouldn't be getting bailed out and elevating the overall team from terrible to mediocre/average.
Nagy isn’t even on shoops level at this point

msadows

Liked Posts:
nagy just kept choosing shit that didnt work over and over. at this point you just sit fields and hope the next coach can erase everything that nagy "taught" him. nagy has zero answers when teams figure him out and the browns did that after the 2nd possession and he wont adjust either

The fact he didnt leave a TE/RB in to block garrett every play showed me all I have to know about how stupid nagy is.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Nagy isn’t even on shoops level at this point
It's true.

And I agree with the OP, it's not just about playcalling. He cannot adjust. He doesn't have answers. Even the shit in his press conferences after games is alarming. The media asks him about specific things, or even scheme things, and he's like "I'll have to watch the tape."

The entire post-game narrative for the next week is going to be about how Nagy just left his entire offense on an island, his oline, his rookie QB. He took the ball out of his top-10 RB's hands early in the game. He didn't chip or scheme around Myles Garrett. He didn't try to throw screens or run draws to give the Browns' pass rush pause. He didn't get creative and move Fields around. It was shotgun RPO all game long. And it didn't work over and over and over again, and he kept doing it.

The non-casual, non-idiot fans know what he did wrong, the talking heads know what he did wrong, the media knows what he did wrong. Everyone knows what he did wrong........ except Nagy.

jive

Liked Posts:
I wonder if Bill Lazor is shaking his head on the sidelines and feeling like he's in a Dilbert Football comic strip.

jive

Liked Posts:
This is a conspiracy I can get on board with. No attempt to counter the pass rush that was killing them, just left the flood gates open.
It was like he tried to find the optimum point where the defense could exploit our O-line's weakness, and then called plays to place Justin Fields there.

jive

Liked Posts:
After the 55-14 drubbing by the Packers, at home, after a by week, Mel Tucker should have been fired.
It was obvious his game planning and play calling sucked, and he totally lost the defensive locker room.
The fact that he still had a job after that game and the NE game reaffirmed my believe that the coach, front office and ownership don't give a shit.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Both teams the Browns played prior double teamed Garrett. And the rest of his teammates didn't step up

But nah, let's just leave the old LT who joined at the end of camp on an island to block their best player on defense

Shotgun rpo bullshit where a free runner is in Justin's face before he can even fake a handoff

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Look at Peters and the o-line play marked in video. @Bearly should see this too.

Matt Hasselbecks brother said exactly what i did when it happened in the first qtr. Nagy completely set up him for failure. 2nd and 20, call shotgun handful for no gain. 3rd and 20. Have fun, Justin.

But yeah, those people who were already claiming the OL turnaround haven't spoken about how dogshit Peters and Ifedi were today. Well...all of them were complete ass.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Matt Hasselbecks brother said exactly what i did when it happened in the first qtr. Nagy completely set up him for failure. 2nd and 20, call shotgun handful for no gain. 3rd and 20. Have fun, Justin.

But yeah, those people who were already claiming the OL turnaround haven't spoken about how dogshit Peters and Ifedi were today. Well...all of them were complete ass.
Honestly, I'm not even trying to start arguments with ppl...just look at the tape.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The OP is absolutely correct....it goes far deeper than just play calling. Matt Nagy is here for one reason....he's Pace's hand picked HC. Ryan Pace is here because of the McCaskey family's inability to hire someone that knows how to assemble an NFL football team. I'd have to go back and look but I'd estimate that they have been failing at hiring the proper person to run the football end of their franchise for at least 30-35 years. It's so pathetically bad that they have to hire someone like Eddie Accorsi to dig up someone like Pace. Of course, to them a young charasmatic guy like Pace would be appealing even though his experience level was quite low.....plus with old Ern's stamp of approval, he was in. But the one thing the McCaskey family knows is money and Pace has pissed away a ton of it over the last seven years with very little to show for it.

They have to be looking at the product on the field plus the coaching of that product and are seeing they've once again, chosen poorly. I know they've never cleaned house before in Bears history mid season and it probably won't happen this year as well.....but they have to be at least thinking of pulling the trigger on Pace & Company soon.

Then again, it's the McCaskey family who own a football team but are clueless on who to hire to run it.......so who know?