What is it about Pace that this team likes him so much?

MarkBear

?⬇️
Liked Posts:
I’m thinking the other business decisions he help make. Like the new stadium deal (?), new workout facilities, etc

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Fans don't really know what a good GM is.

Is Brian Gutekunst a good GM for the Packers? But he is 39-17 over his tenure so that makes him a good GM, right. No, he just inherited one of best QBs of all time.

Pace has the most important quality a GM can have and that is drafting ability. If he can't get the head coach right I agree its time to move on, but a GM that can draft is very hard to find and poor drafting is the easiest way to drag your team right to the bottom.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Didn’t he also acquired sitton?
Yes sir.

I think the important thing for Pace going forward is to invest more in the offensive line. Scale back on trading picks and use those in the later rounds to fill out the roster with young, promising talent. Offensive line especially is known for having quality players from every round of the draft: you don't need to spend 1sts there in order to have a quality line. We need guys we can fall back in the case of injury or sudden suckage (Leno and/or Whitehair/Daniels issues at center).

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I don't think Pace is going anywhere. Not after hitting a home run in the 2020 draft and this draft looking even better. We are looking at 4 potential starters and that's not counting Newsome or Jenkins. He could have potentially hit on 6 of 7 picks. Nobody is firing a GM that just did that.

The Pace of 2016 is not the Pace of 2021.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
It would be the shock of my life if pace is gone and I wouldn't be surprised if nagy survives this the way these guys operate

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I don't think Pace is going anywhere. Not after hitting a home run in the 2020 draft and this draft looking even better. We are looking at 4 potential starters and that's not counting Newsome or Jenkins. He could have potentially hit on 6 of 7 picks. Nobody is firing a GM that just did that.

I wouldn't count on Newsome for anything but that's beside the point.

Interesting thought though about how Pace has (or hasn't) learned and moved on from some past mistakes. The biggest thing that needs to be corrected is Nagy so we'll see about that.

But looking at the roster assuming Fields is the real deal and is (at least) a starting caliber QB, you might have your tackles in place with Borom and Jenkins and at least a rotational guy at RB with Herbert thanks to just this last draft (not to mention a rotational DT in Tonga). You might have two of three corners settled (Johnson + Vildor to nickel) along with starting TE (Kmet), #1B WR (Mooney) and a rotational pass rusher (Gipson) thanks to the 2020 draft. He'll have 5 picks in this next draft (2, 3, 5, 5, 6) to work with which would bring in at least a couple contributors based on his track record. He'll also have a sizable amount of cap space.

Things could look considerably better next season than people may realize with the arrow pointing way up thanks to Fields.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Talking to someone who wants Pace gone. The Bears can do better. But understand they can also do much worse.

Say what you will about Pace, but in terms of having and executing a plan, he did and lined up things actually pretty damn well. Its just that he fucked up the 2 things you can't fuck up - the QB and the Head Coach.

The current cap situation wouldn't have been AS big of a deal had Trubisky been the goods. He had everything lined up to make a run in 2018-2020 HAD Mitch been good and the coach been good. If you are a competing team, you aren't sweating the higher cap. That 2018-2020 window was their original window. What we are dealing with now is the fall out that happens with missing on a franchise QB.

But even in our current situation with the cap, it ignores where the Bears were at when Pace took over, which was even worse than now. And fans didn't understand at the time, but Pace went to signing a lot of vet minimum players to one year deals, even overpaying in a single year deal just to buy time to restock the roster with draft picks. And while he had some bad misses early, he did indeed turnover the roster.

The point is, there ARE some things he's done right, and more than most fans realize.

Its just that he fucked up the QB and HC picks. However, if he gets blasted for Mitch, he also gets credit for Fields.

For me, the hiring of Nagy is my reason for wanting him gone. I don't know if he will get suckered again if he fires Nagy.

But then, I didn't want him drafting another QB and he got Fields. And he has shown a tendency to learn from mistakes, and do better as he goes along.

I still want him gone, but unlike you, I am more than willing to give the devil his due....
I mostly agree with your comments, the QB and HC misses were big ones but lots of other GM's make big misses as well we just don't dwell on them here for other teams. I mixed on keeping Pace, think he maybe best suited in President role replacing Phillips with a new GM and big effort to get the HC right.

mecha

Liked Posts:
What is the team record under Angelo and Pace?

How many playoff wins for Angelo and Pace?

Those are the only measures that really matter.

I would also ask how many hits by each GM were actually good long term ie lived up to their 2nd contracts in Chicago? I cant think of a single Pace draft pick who got a 2nd contract with us and earned their pay. Guys like Jackson and Whitehair got theirs and became mediocre. Guys like Lance Briggs and Tillman got it under Angelo and continued to perform at a high level. So the quality of Angelo's hits were better which is why he has playoff wins and Pace does not.

It is not a sustainable model that when you hit on a guy they burn out 1 or 2 years into an extension.
really? playoffs is the metric now? weren't you one of those guys that says the only thing that matters is winning the Super Bowl? yes, in Angelo's time they could have won a Super Bowl. the constant here however is dickhead coaching. like running the ball in the Super Bowl was effective, but they decided to let Rex Grossman, who by that point had a pretty deep track record of not being a reliable passer in that season alone, throw the ball another 20 times. honestly if you want an indictment against Pace, letting Gould walk (honestly the correct move) and replacing him with multiple failed kickers leading up to Parkey and the combination of Nagy's dickhead coaching pissed away their playoff chances in 2018.

they get it right since then and blow the guy's successful field goal streak on the chance he make a 66 yarder. that's dickhead coaching. it's persisted for 30 years now, arguably longer. because the McCaskeys do in fact run the Chicago Bears like a family business, not a legitimate sports franchise out to step on people's throats.

going back to the original point, Angelo had his array of 1st round draft blunders, and I'm calling it back, the 2007 draft alone should've netted him getting stoned to death and dumped in Lake Michigan. if you want to shit on Pace for the state of the offensive line, just know that Angelo only got lucky getting the right mix of FAs that worked for a total of like 2 seasons and totally botched drafting for it for many years. the same asshole drafted Cedric Benson #4 overall. when they should have bailed on the Grossman experiment then and been looking for his replacement.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Always on Pace's dick. Pretty sad.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Yes sir.

I think the important thing for Pace going forward is to invest more in the offensive line. Scale back on trading picks and use those in the later rounds to fill out the roster with young, promising talent. Offensive line especially is known for having quality players from every round of the draft: you don't need to spend 1sts there in order to have a quality line. We need guys we can fall back in the case of injury or sudden suckage (Leno and/or Whitehair/Daniels issues at center).
Yeah, I’ve said it before but I’d be comfortable with pace is he does the following:

Stop trading up every year. I’d like to see him trade down and acquire MORE picks since he’s a good drafter overall. The more picks you have, the more chances to hit.

Keep investing (and hitting) on the OL. Borom looks good. Hopefully Jenkins follows suit. Need a C, RG, and swing tackle next season. He has to make OL priority 1,2, and 3

Hit on the HC. He redeemed himself with Fields, can he do it with the HC? I think he learned his lesson with Nagy and to be fair, it was a bad pool of candidates that year.

Sharpen up in FA. Did not like the Cohen and Trevathan signings. Needs to spend more wisely. If he stops trading up, that should help him in free agency as well. Less picks means more signings in FA, especially if the players he trades up for don’t pan out.

All of those things are doable. We already know he can build a defense and the offense’s biggest problems are the OL, Nagy, and Justin Fields inexperience. In theory and ideally, those 3 things are all fixed next season

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Pace has improved in drafting but he still needs to go. Lest we forget his earlier drafts before Roquan. Not one single 1st round pick has stayed on this roster

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
i'm not a big fan of keeping pace and my two biggest concerns are can he get the HC spot right and can he actually hit on early talent especially at WR. Aside from mooney, pace has failed miserably at adding wr's through the draft...pace's strength certainly leans towards the defense but with fields that needs to shift towards the offense, I just dont know if he can give fields enough talent without going on spending spree's in free agency because he cant do it via the draft.

Novoitus

Mitch Trubisky Fan
Liked Posts:
Pace has a massive sex drive which many people in the Bears organization find comforting.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I mostly agree with your comments, the QB and HC misses were big ones but lots of other GM's make big misses as well we just don't dwell on them here for other teams. I mixed on keeping Pace, think he maybe best suited in President role replacing Phillips with a new GM and big effort to get the HC right.
More and more, I am leaning this way. He obviously has enough football smarts to handle a lot of the non-personnel acquisition parts of GM correctly. That might make him a good fit for team president.

My concern would be who he hires as a GM.

However given everything is a crapshoot with regards to that, would you have an in-house candidate in champ Kelly who already was interviewing for GM positions last year.

An internal promotion for both pace and Kelly may actually be what we need.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah, I’ve said it before but I’d be comfortable with pace is he does the following:

Stop trading up every year. I’d like to see him trade down and acquire MORE picks since he’s a good drafter overall. The more picks you have, the more chances to hit.

Keep investing (and hitting) on the OL. Borom looks good. Hopefully Jenkins follows suit. Need a C, RG, and swing tackle next season. He has to make OL priority 1,2, and 3

Hit on the HC. He redeemed himself with Fields, can he do it with the HC? I think he learned his lesson with Nagy and to be fair, it was a bad pool of candidates that year.

Sharpen up in FA. Did not like the Cohen and Trevathan signings. Needs to spend more wisely. If he stops trading up, that should help him in free agency as well. Less picks means more signings in FA, especially if the players he trades up for don’t pan out.

All of those things are doable. We already know he can build a defense and the offense’s biggest problems are the OL, Nagy, and Justin Fields inexperience. In theory and ideally, those 3 things are all fixed next season

My Hope is that now that we have a quarterback, the desire to constantly trade up will taper off a little bit. We need more first-round talent on the roster

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
really? playoffs is the metric now? weren't you one of those guys that says the only thing that matters is winning the Super Bowl? yes, in Angelo's time they could have won a Super Bowl. the constant here however is dickhead coaching. like running the ball in the Super Bowl was effective, but they decided to let Rex Grossman, who by that point had a pretty deep track record of not being a reliable passer in that season alone, throw the ball another 20 times. honestly if you want an indictment against Pace, letting Gould walk (honestly the correct move) and replacing him with multiple failed kickers leading up to Parkey and the combination of Nagy's dickhead coaching pissed away their playoff chances in 2018.

they get it right since then and blow the guy's successful field goal streak on the chance he make a 66 yarder. that's dickhead coaching. it's persisted for 30 years now, arguably longer. because the McCaskeys do in fact run the Chicago Bears like a family business, not a legitimate sports franchise out to step on people's throats.

going back to the original point, Angelo had his array of 1st round draft blunders, and I'm calling it back, the 2007 draft alone should've netted him getting stoned to death and dumped in Lake Michigan. if you want to shit on Pace for the state of the offensive line, just know that Angelo only got lucky getting the right mix of FAs that worked for a total of like 2 seasons and totally botched drafting for it for many years. the same asshole drafted Cedric Benson #4 overall. when they should have bailed on the Grossman experiment then and been looking for his replacement.

SMH! Neither of them have a SB win so I can only evaluate them on metrics that can be used to separate them ie their regular season and playoff record.

I am not suggested that Angelo is good. I am suggested his hits in the draft are better than Pace's to this point because Angelo at least had a few guys he drafted that had fairly long and productive careers with the Bears. Most of Pace's draft picks don't get to a 2nd contract with the Bears or if they do, they shit the big afterwards. Fields becoming a franchise QB would potentially push Pace ahead but right now Angelo drafted more high end talent, had a better record in the regular season and in the playoffs.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Pace’s biggest problem to me is that he went all in before he knew what he had at WB and HC. A GM can’t do that without knowing for sure he needed to leave himself outs which he did not.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
SMH! Neither of them have a SB win so I can only evaluate them on metrics that can be used to separate them ie their regular season and playoff record.

I am not suggested that Angelo is good. I am suggested his hits in the draft are better than Pace's to this point because Angelo at least had a few guys he drafted that had fairly long and productive careers with the Bears. Most of Pace's draft picks don't get to a 2nd contract with the Bears or if they do, they shit the big afterwards. Fields becoming a franchise QB would potentially push Pace ahead but right now Angelo drafted more high end talent, had a better record in the regular season and in the playoffs.
I feel like that isn't the case though if you count all the drafts after 2006. Angelo was on fire up until the 2006 draft. 2007 onward was pure straight shit.