Be Honest: Where do you stand on Justin Fields so far?

Dick Jauron

2001 AP Coach of the Year
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know here on CSS, we fuck around a lot and whatnot.

But lets be honest for a minute here, where do you really stand on Justin Fields?

Me?

I think he's extremely talented. The kid has been progressing very well since the horror show in Cleveland. Justin can make those big time throws, he is extremely accurate on the run and from the pocket. He's showing maturity every game, has excellent poise, doesn't seem hard to rattle at all. I think it really helps him being in a room with DeFilippo, Lazor, Dalton, & Foles - four guys who seems to help this kid. Only Nerdy Nagy is slowing this kid down with his ego. Oh, and we always talk about how Rogers or Favre recognized when they had a "free play", they took a deep shot and how many times have those plays burned us? Too many. Justin had two free plays, except they were not free plays. The point is - he recognized a possible free play and took a shot. We never saw that with Mitch, Cutler (I think?), Grossman, or any of the 37 (exaggerated?) different starters we've had since McMahon

The downside? He continues to make rookie mistakes which can be corrected with time, such as the ball security issues or holding onto the ball a second too long. I have also noticed that he is unsure whether to run or pass, so he will take off, then hesitate and maybe pass, then decide to fuck it, then run. When that happens, boom, sacked. He needs to learn that if he is going to run, just take off, period. No more hesitation. But these traits are very typical of rookies.

Overall, I think the future is bright with this kid and it is even better with Borom showing tons of promise. If we can get Jenkins to do the same, then we just really need to surround Justin with weapons which can be found in all rounds of the draft.

Oh, and getting a competent HC/OC would be greatly beneficial too.

So, where do you stand on Justin Fields?

EDIT TO ADD: I love his running game, but I hope he can continue to progress in the pocket if he is going to be our QB for two decades, not one. Running QBs don't last two decades. If he can continue to progress in the pocket, then with his traits, he could be something special.

Last edited:

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's got a very rare combination of IQ, leadership, natural physical ability, work-ethic, and passion for the game. What he's missing is:
1. Better system; better coaching, two sides of the same coin
2. Better cast around him. He doesn't trust his receivers to be where they're supposed to be and doesn't trust his line to block giving him time to find those receivers.
3. Better decision-making, which is being significantly affected (potentially but hopefully not permanently) by 1 & 2.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I love him. I love his physical attributes and his maturity and level headedness is rare for such a young QB under constant duress. Toughness cant be overstated. His ability as a passer doesn't worry me. The only thing that does is the fumbles.

Stating the obvious here but getting him some real coaches and putting him into a professional offense will do wonders. Not going to get into another rant where i rail on Nagy and Pace because there are enough threads for that. Justin will be fine. IDK if he can be top tier but he's a guy you can happily call your QB for a decade +. But he needs some help.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Best looking potential out of any QB the Bears have drafted in decades, if ever.

Hoping the mistakes shrink over time.

I do remember Rodgers still having growing pains his first couple of years as a starter, and he rode the pine for 3 years first and had a good team around him when he did eventually start. So that gives me hope as well.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:

But lets be honest for a minute here, where do you really stand on Justin Fields?

Me?

I think he's extremely talented. The kid has been progressing very well since the horror show in Cleveland. Justin can make those big time throws, he is extremely accurate on the run and from the pocket. He's showing maturity every game, has excellent poise, doesn't seem hard to rattle at all. I think it really helps him being in a room with DeFilippo, Lazor, Dalton, & Foles - four guys who seems to help this kid. Only Nerdy Nagy is slowing this kid down with his ego. Oh, and we always talk about how Rogers or Favre recognized when they had a "free play", they took a deep shot and how many times have those plays burned us? Too many. Justin had two free plays, except they were not free plays. The point is - he recognized a possible free play and took a shot. We never saw that with Mitch, Cutler (I think?), Grossman, or any of the 37 (exaggerated?) different starters we've had since McMahon

The downside? He continues to make rookie mistakes which can be corrected with time, such as the ball security issues or holding onto the ball a second too long. I have also noticed that he is unsure whether to run or pass, so he will take off, then hesitate and maybe pass, then decide to fuck it, then run. When that happens, boom, sacked. He needs to learn that if he is going to run, just take off, period. No more hesitation. But these traits are very typical of rookies.

Overall, I think the future is bright with this kid and it is even better with Borom showing tons of promise. If we can get Jenkins to do the same, then we just really need to surround Justin with weapons which can be found in all rounds of the draft.

EDIT TO ADD: I love his running game, but I hope he can continue to progress in the pocket if he is going to be our QB for two decades, not one. Running QBs don't last two decades. If he can continue to progress in the pocket, then with his traits, he could be something special.

I've seen encouraging flashes from him. I'm not ready to enshrine him into Canton yet, but I do believe he has done everything you can reasonably expect from a rookie QB thrust into this situation with a bad team.

He's a keeper. Nagy and Pace are not.

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Still trying to figure out why after Fields went out and Dalton came in, they started throwing the WR screen and play action much more often. Anyways, I am happy with Fields. He has a lot of learning to do, and in spite of this coaching staff is showing progression. I thought is was a weird called game which seems to be the norm. The first 15 scripted plays seemed to play to Fields strengths and even had the announcers saying that the staff is starting to figure out how call the game for Fields. Then they go off script and get cute or downright mind numbingly simple. When Montgomery is gashing the defense for 8 to 12 yds a carry, maybe try some play action passing off of that. Roll Fields out a bit more.

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
"Oh, and getting a competent HC/OC would be greatly beneficial too."

To truly evaluating Fields we need to start with the statement above, because it all start right there.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I have not been this excited for a Bears QB since we acquired Cutler. And that we drafted him instead of some trade or signing is all the sweeter right now.

I am happy to ride the rollercoaster that rookie QBs almost always give you. Don't care one bit. If hos hard work translates into on-field success, then we'll get a good decade or more of winning QB. Who cares about his rookie mistakes with this kind of hope we can legitimately have?

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Rookie learning the ropes flashing a ton of potential but also showing plenty of room and need for improvement. If this is the finished product then its a bust but anyone who thinks what you see after 9 games with Matt Nagy is what you get for a career is an idiot. I am optimistic for his future and think he becomes a better than average at some point in his career. I dont expect that to be midway through his rookie season.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He has a ton of potential and plenty of stuff he needs to fix. Coaching/experience will help. He can make all the throws necessary. Deep ball, in traffic, on the run, etc.

He needs a competent offense and needs to stop trying to do to much. If the play isn't there, throw it away (finally saw that yesterday). If the pocket is collapsing and there isn't anywhere to run, wrap up and go down. He keeps fumbling because he tries to escape when it's not there. Those thing are easily fixable with time.

He's still the QB that I would want in this draft at this point. Sure, Mac looks good, but Fields has a much higher ceiling imo. He's the guy until he isn't. 2022 will be very telling so time will tell, but I'm still high on him. First order of business is getting Nagy as far away from Fields as possible.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
He's still learning on the job. I see improvements each week. It most likely will improve further once Nagy isn't in his ear anymore. Yesterday was a prime example of the coaching staff not doing the rookie QB any favors.

Find a way to get the TE's more involved in the passing game and we'll see more improvement.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Me?

I agree with everything besides i don't mind when the smart QB's make the decision to run as long as they keep their eyes downfield and you have smart WR's that know to keep playing when it looks like their QB is going to run cause the good ones can find their WR's wide open for huge plays a lot of the time. I get sometimes you need to make your decision to run or pass and stick to it but keep those eyes open looking where your WR's are and what the DB's who's covering them are doing until you get across the line of scrimmage.

Liked Posts:
I like the kid. He’s struggled big time with a poor o-line and non-existent system but has still shown glimpses of what he’s capable of.

Has all the tools to be a head coaches dream because of how versatile he is. If you want a playbook which relies on quarterback running he can do that. If you want short quick passing he looks to have the accuracy to fit those tight windows. If you want a quarterback who can roll out from the pocket and open up the field he looks like he can do that too.

Biggest issue as some have already alluded to is the ball security but with a combination of better protection, a coach who can scheme his receivers open and learning when to try escape pressure he’ll get better.

Payton34Sayers40

Liked Posts:
Sky is the limit for Fields........>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>with the right coaching.

Upgrades here would be a bonus ---- better Oline, wideouts who get separation with less drops, a true playmaking TE in the Kelce mode.

But it all starts and ends with coaching for Fields -- because he is smart/tough/hard working/great leader/he can run and he can make all the throws. In short - the guy has "elite" tools. Get him the right coach, and he will be a perennial Pro Bowler with Super Bowl winning capabilities.

Book it!

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Everything has been mentioned, it’s ball security for me that’s not the coaches fault. He needs to stop putting the football on the ground. That’s it.

the coaches continue to go away from what works, and I’m almost 100 certain that’s Nagy.

like I said I’m over this cunt head coach and his staff.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
you can see fields progressing, still has a ways to go but cant truly assess until the shitshow otherwise called the coaching staff is replaced with one that is competent.

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
He's still learning on the job. I see improvements each week. It most likely will improve further once Nagy isn't in his ear anymore. Yesterday was a prime example of the coaching staff not doing the rookie QB any favors.

Find a way to get the TE's more involved in the passing game and we'll see more improvement.
I love the fact that you pointed out the TE's. After last year and going into this year Nagy's talk was the offense takes 4 years to master. Early on he talked about 3 years and also that the system was based on the TE and that was a major issue in why the offense wasn't clicking. After countless attempts with multiple different TE's and TE types he still doesn't use them and the offense still isn't clicking. The common denominator through all of the offensive struggles is not the QB, OL, TE, RB, WR, Offensive Coordinator, QB coach, etc. They have all changed during Nagy's tenure, yet the offense still seems to have the same miscues and issues. The 1 common denominator has been Nagy. Time for that to change.