Burst Pipes Discussion

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Random question for the rest of you home owners.

I have all hard floors downstairs, and they get really f*****ing cold in the Winter.

I've worked on sealing the doors and windows and such, so I am wondering, are there any other things people do in Winter to help heat/insulate their homes?

I've taken to putting blankets up against the bottom of my front and garage doors to help keep cold air from seeping in.

Do rugs actually help? I've never tried putting anything big down.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

I have all hard floors downstairs, and they get really f*****ing cold in the Winter.

I've worked on sealing the doors and windows and such, so I am wondering, are there any other things people do in Winter to help heat/insulate their homes?

I've taken to putting blankets up against the bottom of my front and garage doors to help keep cold air from seeping in.

First, I have a question on how your house currently heats... Is there a large temp difference tween upstairs/downstairs. Is the upstairs hotter than downstairs? If so by how much?

As far as your actual question. door sweeps are pretty much the only thing you can do this time of year. Obviously a rug over a hardwood floor will be warmer to have over the floors concerning feet touching than just plain hardwood floors.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
First, I have a question on how your house currently heats... Is there a large temp difference tween upstairs/downstairs. Is the upstairs hotter than downstairs? If so by how much?

As far as your actual question. door sweeps are pretty much the only thing you can do this time of year. Obviously a rug over a hardwood floor will be warmer to have over the floors concerning feet touching than just plain hardwood floors.

Its a normal furnace HVAC system.

I close my upstairs vents during winter and open my downstairs ones to force heat into the bottom so it rises into the 2nd level.

It works pretty well, but the downstairs is always gonna be 3-5 degrees cooler overall than upstairs, so I spend most of the Winter upstairs.

Sometimes I open my vent in my own bedroom on cold nights, and it heats the fuck out of my room, sometimes too much.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

I close my upstairs vents during winter and open my downstairs ones to force heat into the bottom so it rises into the 2nd level.

It works pretty well, but the downstairs is always gonna be 3-5 degrees cooler overall than upstairs, so I spend most of the Winter upstairs.

Sometimes I open my vent in my own bedroom on cold nights, and it heats the fuck out of my room, sometimes too much.
My house is just about always colder upstairs, but my house heats very ineffeciently because it was built in 1969. For example the only upstairs return vents are in the hallway, instead of having them in each bedroom, since most doors are closed at night, this causes an imbalance in the heating. In the case of our bedroom, which has two vents, any heat actually makes it really hot in there, thus I turn the furnace really down at night. I actually have all ducts in the house open in the winter since if I close any for upstairs, basically those rooms will be frozen (I did this in 2019-2020 when I didn't have a child and we didn't use half of our house).

By close vents do you just mean the registers where the air comes out or do you mean you can get to your ducts and close the damper?

In my townhouse, in the utility room, I had a duct with a damper on it that said "summer/winter" and thus I could flip it depending on season. Obviously, winter, the air would stay downstairs, summer, the air would go upstairs.

I don't have that in this house, only ducts that control individual rooms (which probably makes more sense for a larger home).

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:

I will ask you the same question that I ask my wife when she complains about her feet being cold on the hardwood...

"Where are your slippers?"

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My house is just about always colder upstairs, but my house heats very ineffeciently because it was built in 1969. For example the only upstairs return vents are in the hallway, instead of having them in each bedroom, since most doors are closed at night, this causes an imbalance in the heating. In the case of our bedroom, which has two vents, any heat actually makes it really hot in there, thus I turn the furnace really down at night. I actually have all ducts in the house open in the winter since if I close any for upstairs, basically those rooms will be frozen (I did this in 2019-2020 when I didn't have a child and we didn't use half of our house).

By close vents do you just mean the registers where the air comes out or do you mean you can get to your ducts and close the damper?

In my townhouse, in the utility room, I had a duct with a damper on it that said "summer/winter" and thus I could flip it depending on season. Obviously, winter, the air would stay downstairs, summer, the air would go upstairs.

I don't have that in this house, only ducts that control individual rooms (which probably makes more sense for a larger home).

I just close those registers, there isn't a damper like you describe.

I wish I had one.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I will ask you the same question that I ask my wife when she complains about her feet being cold on the hardwood...

"Where are your slippers?"

Oh lol that's what I do, wool socks or slippers or flip flops if need be to go into the garage.

It just seems like my floors are colder than they ought to be.

I am trying to make my home less of a dead husk lol.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Oh lol that's what I do, wool socks or slippers or flip flops if need be to go into the garage.

It just seems like my floors are colder than they ought to be.

I am trying to make my home less of a dead husk lol.
Area Rugs, Runners and plants should all help with the "dead husk" situation. Also good comfortable lighting.

As far as cold wood floors, unless you are going to spend a bucket load and replace your floors and add radiant heat you are probably just going to have cold floors in the winter.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Area Rugs, Runners and plants should all help with the "dead husk" situation. Also good comfortable lighting.

As far as cold wood floors, unless you are going to spend a bucket load and replace your floors and add radiant heat you are probably just going to have cold floors in the winter.

Much appreciated, thx.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rugs and plants would be a good place for your spiders to play.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Have fun man...

My only fun with winter piping issues was when I was growing up my family owned a 100+ year old hunting/fishing cabin in PA directly next to the Delaware River (Mt. Bethel, if you're curious). Being an old as fuck log cabin it stood roughly 3' off the ground on its pilings. Running water had been installed leading from a natural spring on the property sometime in the '50s. My job at the end of the usable season (no heat, central river rock built hearth) was to shimmy under the cabin after the water had been turned off and open a valve to let the remaining water in the pipes drain. Have you fuckers ever seen a cave cricket?

CeutophilisAlan-e1419982657837.jpg

My young ass had to shimmy through thousands of those fucking things to help prep the place for winter. Good times...
sprickets!

thats a cave cricket or as we call them in MD, sprickets.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:

ground floor?... rip up the hardwood.. level/polish/design concrete and heat those slabs.... not just for bathrooms.. cool in the summer, warm in the winter..

Last edited:

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I had that problem at my old place, and all of the issues were above ground- the earth is a great insulator.
The stairs to the basement were across the kitchen from an outside door. When the outside door was opened, you could feel a river of cold air flowing down the stairs.

If you have a door to the basement, keep it closed when opening the exterior doors. hot air billows out the top of the door, cold billows in, and settles at the lowest point.

Hopefully you have decent venting and a large unobstructed cold air return near the floor- airflow is key.

As far as minor fixes, do you have window wells? if so, cap them outside and use the clear plastic window insulation inside. it is cheap and it works.
Expanding foam around the window frames works if you feel cold seeping in.

check where your electric, gas, phone, and cable come in to the house.. most likely near the ceiling in the basement depending on how your house sits. use expanding foam around the entry points.

basically, walk the perimeter the basement with your hand up near ground level and find the entry points and go after them with expanding foam or insulation.

unfinished areas seep cold through the concrete, especially near the ceiling, so if you can segment those rooms of with a door or even a blanket, that will make the living area warmer.

Dryer vents are another great pathway for cold if your laundry is downstairs. expanding foam around the exit and even wrap insulation around the hose itself.

getting all the cold spots upstairs is helpful as well- the cold will settle downwards and wind up in the basement.
Clear plastic window insulation, door sweeps, clean vents... all kinds of little stuff.

if you are still having issues, go after the minutia.
Put your hand near wall plates on exterior walls and feel for cold seeping in- many times if someone installs a phone or cable jack, they push the existing insulation to the side and you wind up with a large un-insulated cavity on an exterior wall... bust out the expanding foam!

Poor window installs can also do it, even if the windows are double pane engineering marvels... if you feel cold seeping in around the outside of the trim around the window, you can pry the trim off and hit it with the expanding foam and pop the trim right back on.

If you have insulated walls downstairs and hunt down the easy fixes at grade level, the easy fixes upstairs, and have good air flow, the basement will be cozy as hell.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I had that problem at my old place, and all of the issues were above ground- the earth is a great insulator.
The stairs to the basement were across the kitchen from an outside door. When the outside door was opened, you could feel a river of cold air flowing down the stairs.

If you have a door to the basement, keep it closed when opening the exterior doors. hot air billows out the top of the door, cold billows in, and settles at the lowest point.

Hopefully you have decent venting and a large unobstructed cold air return near the floor- airflow is key.

As far as minor fixes, do you have window wells? if so, cap them outside and use the clear plastic window insulation inside. it is cheap and it works.
Expanding foam around the window frames works if you feel cold seeping in.

check where your electric, gas, phone, and cable come in to the house.. most likely near the ceiling in the basement depending on how your house sits. use expanding foam around the entry points.

basically, walk the perimeter the basement with your hand up near ground level and find the entry points and go after them with expanding foam or insulation.

unfinished areas seep cold through the concrete, especially near the ceiling, so if you can segment those rooms of with a door or even a blanket, that will make the living area warmer.

Dryer vents are another great pathway for cold if your laundry is downstairs. expanding foam around the exit and even wrap insulation around the hose itself.

getting all the cold spots upstairs is helpful as well- the cold will settle downwards and wind up in the basement.
Clear plastic window insulation, door sweeps, clean vents... all kinds of little stuff.

if you are still having issues, go after the minutia.
Put your hand near wall plates on exterior walls and feel for cold seeping in- many times if someone installs a phone or cable jack, they push the existing insulation to the side and you wind up with a large un-insulated cavity on an exterior wall... bust out the expanding foam!

Poor window installs can also do it, even if the windows are double pane engineering marvels... if you feel cold seeping in around the outside of the trim around the window, you can pry the trim off and hit it with the expanding foam and pop the trim right back on.

If you have insulated walls downstairs and hunt down the easy fixes at grade level, the easy fixes upstairs, and have good air flow, the basement will be cozy as hell.

I am in a Townhouse with no basement, but the end part about expanding foam insulation is probably gonna be what I need.

I am feeling cold air seeping in all over the place near wood trim.

Probably doesn't help the lady behind me had her HVAC off and we share a wall, so I'm adjacent to a cold house, with a cold floor, with a burst pipe that flooded and sent a river of cold water under our houses for a day.

I am thinking my entire house needs insulation and probably hasn't had any added/repaired since the house was built 30-40 years ago.

My front door opens on to a landing and you can go one of three ways, down a step into the kitchen, up the stairs, or down a step into the living room.

That landing is always cold as fuck, and I wonder if cold air is seeping in under the front door into the space under that landing as well.

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Interesting...I have the opposite, but the windows are shit, and I'm up high with nothing but farmland straight west, so any wind just gets at the second floor.

I replaced the entire first floor in our house with luxury vinyl planking...not cold at all.

How is your basement in the winter? We only have one window down there, and it's not too bad.

I'm in the process of finishing it...I've looked at it while framing and realized that the builder stuffed a little unfaced insulation into the spaces between the studs that ultimately make up the exterior walls on the first floor. I've decided before I get too far that I'm going to get a couple rolls of faced insulation and properly fill those spaces, and put some drywall over it.

Also, there should be some damper levers on the runs off the main trunk in the basement. I've tweaked them to balance the heating and cooling as best I can. The powder room on the first floor is either freezing or burning if I don't keep that damper closed off almost entirely.

It sucks that they just put the ducts in houses leave the dampers open all the way and it's done.

I've never been on an office build where they didn't bring in a tech from the HVAC contractor to balance the air out. A lot houses would benefit from it.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Interesting...I have the opposite, but the windows are shit, and I'm up high with nothing but farmland straight west, so any wind just gets at the second floor.

I replaced the entire first floor in our house with luxury vinyl planking...not cold at all.

How is your basement in the winter? We only have one window down there, and it's not too bad.

I'm in the process of finishing it...I've looked at it while framing and realized that the builder stuffed a little unfaced insulation into the spaces between the studs that ultimately make up the exterior walls on the first floor. I've decided before I get too far that I'm going to get a couple rolls of faced insulation and properly fill those spaces, and put some drywall over it.

Also, there should be some damper levers on the runs off the main trunk in the basement. I've tweaked them to balance the heating and cooling as best I can. The powder room on the first floor is either freezing or burning if I don't keep that damper closed off almost entirely.

It sucks that they just put the ducts in houses leave the dampers open all the way and it's done.

I've never been on an office build where they didn't bring in a tech from the HVAC contractor to balance the air out. A lot houses would benefit from it.

This is a Townhouse on a slab, no basement.