If you have to go defense, Why CB and S?

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Oh I forgot. He wasn’t ranked that high in the mock drafts you did. Guess Poles missed it…lol
He missed it all right.

Will you admit you are the "moron" when Velus never develops as a WR or will you continue to be a smug know it all fool?

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
The truly big need is 3 tech.

Have to wonder if a deal with Ogunjobi is still in play.

Otherwise, safety was a huge need and CB2 as well. Ejax is lazy and bad while Kindle Vildor has assaulted my corneas with his play on my television.

Set at LB. Set at DE. May not be set at 1 tech, but they have 2 guys there. Process of elimination.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
If Poles wants defense first and feels he can put off helping fields for a year, so be it.

But CB and S doesnt seem to be a great way to start.

The Bears were 28th in hurry percentage, 25th in QB hits.
They are arguabley worse and certainly no better in the front 7.

I have a hard time seeing the logic of going CB and S when teams can pick you apart over the middle.

If we were dealing with a bears team that can score from anywhere, anytime on offense like any of the teams in the AFC playoffs, I could dig the picks. It would take advantage of teams forced to throw.

But as it stands, Teams have been grinding the clock, playing safe, and taking shots only when they are open.

I was open to a defense heavy draft... not my first choice, but whatever.
But building a hideous defense back to front just seems ridiculous.
I get the CB pick. But going back to back in the secondary when they have a way more desperate need on DL, OL, and WR was foolish. Maybe they sign ageing FAs after the draft? Kind of have to now right?

Visionman

Liked Posts:
He missed it all right.

Will you admit you are the "moron" when Velus never develops as a WR or will you continue to be a smug know it all fool?
If he doesn’t live up to the pick, I will say Poles missed it. Absolutely.

But it’s moronic to be against the pick from the start, because Poles didn’t draft a guy Mel Koper said was better…

Visionman

Liked Posts:

Otherwise, safety was a huge need and CB2 as well. Ejax is lazy and bad while Kindle Vildor has assaulted my corneas with his play on my television.

Set at LB. Set at DE. May not be set at 1 tech, but they have 2 guys there. Process of elimination.
My hope is with 3 other sticky guys in coverage, it will allow EJax to roam free and get back to his playmaking self.

Not holding my breath on that though…

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Either Poles saw those as the defense’s biggest holes, or those guys were literally the next names up on his Big Board.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
The secondary was the worst unit on the team last year.

They were starting freaking Kindle Vildor. What are you talking about?

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars

A less-costly deal with Ogunjobi would be welcome.

But there is another thought:
If you can't find the 3-tech to anchor the line, maybe elite DBs can help some average 3-techs look above average.

I've heard commentators talk about "coverage sacks" during games I've watched going back years.

My hope is with 3 other sticky guys in coverage, it will allow EJax to roam free and get back to his playmaking self.

Not holding my breath on that though…

I don't think it will hurt Eddie. Brisker screams strong safety, so that could push Eddie to the free safety spot, which could allow him to "ball hawk" and make plays more.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So by your BPA rationale, Velus Jones is the highest rated player where the Bears picked in round 3?

could be

same way cole strange and tyquan thornton were higher on the pats board than so called experts

if they turn out good, who gives a shit

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
If Poles wants defense first and feels he can put off helping fields for a year, so be it.

But CB and S doesnt seem to be a great way to start.

The Bears were 28th in hurry percentage, 25th in QB hits.
They are arguabley worse and certainly no better in the front 7.

I have a hard time seeing the logic of going CB and S when teams can pick you apart over the middle.

If we were dealing with a bears team that can score from anywhere, anytime on offense like any of the teams in the AFC playoffs, I could dig the picks. It would take advantage of teams forced to throw.

But as it stands, Teams have been grinding the clock, playing safe, and taking shots only when they are open.

I was open to a defense heavy draft... not my first choice, but whatever.
But building a hideous defense back to front just seems ridiculous.
If they had to go defense because they had a mandate to rebuild Bears footbaw, then at least get a killer like Ojabo and then make your other second rounder a WR or lineman. There’s no vision on this team or it’s a bad, Bears footbaw vision which we know for the past 30 years equates to failure

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If they had to go defense because they had a mandate to rebuild Bears footbaw, then at least get a killer like Ojabo and then make your other second rounder a WR or lineman. There’s no vision on this team or it’s a bad, Bears footbaw vision which we know for the past 30 years equates to failure

yeah

draft a LB that could possibly miss the entire 2022 season after his acl injury

genius move guy

Canth

Liked Posts:
Either Poles saw those as the defense’s biggest holes, or those guys were literally the next names up on his Big Board.

Honestly, just going by the NFL.com rankings, they were really likely just that high up on their big board that they felt the value was too high to pass on the player.

Canth

Liked Posts:
I would add that as others have said, the secondary was bad last year. There was a lot of obvious need for the secondary that wasn't really addressed in FA. So, adding 2 players to the secondary that I think are likely to be starters in 2022 helps the team in the big picture point of view. Both guys fell into the NFL.com ranking system as "Will eventually be plus starter". That's a good get in the 2nd round.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
yeah

draft a LB that could possibly miss the entire 2022 season after his acl injury

genius move guy
Wait aren’t you one of the dorks saying that there’s no need to draft offense because bears will suck anyway?

He would’ve been a top half first rounder otherwise. It’s a bold move for an injury that doesn’t really end careers anymore. He has elite skill.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wait aren’t you one of the dorks saying that there’s no need to draft offense because bears will suck anyway?

He would’ve been a top half first rounder otherwise. It’s a bold move for an injury that doesn’t really end careers anymore. He has elite skill.

point is that youre clowning them for not having "vision or plan" and then you want them to draft a player who tore his acl at his pro day

he'll miss camp and most of the season

Ralpf

Liked Posts:
I have to believe the Bear's scouts saw something in that third pick more than just speed and age. I know Poles talked about team speed being priority #1.

Time will tell. Duh.
It seems like most of the deficiencies in his game can be fixed with coaching. The question is can our new coaches do that? We have no idea. But it's hard to get that combination of size and speed.

A 25 year old rookie isn't the best situation, but that may be the main reason he fell to where they could pick him.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
Guessing when Rodgers, Cousins and Goff face you twice a year, you're trying to prevent them from torching your secondary all day???

Why not just ask if water is wet? Same stupid ass thinking.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
So by your BPA rationale, Velus Jones is the highest rated player where the Bears picked in round 3?
He was a Fields pick. It's been reported Poles and Fields watched WR film and made a list. If he sucks, we have Fields to blame.