Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Again, Fields didn’t help make the 3rd round pick. That’s what scouts are for. If the scouts didn’t like Jones, no way would he have been on the Bears big board. He wasn’t on their radar because of Fields. However, since he was on their radar, Field gave his input (say), after watching tape with Poles. The difference between what you wrote and what I did is pretty simple to understand.
So this. Things may have gone differently if Fields wasn't on board but he sure wasn't the driving force. Maybe Poles trades down and hopes VJJ is still there while picking up a 4th but they obviously didn't want him to get away if all were on board. I still think Getsy had significant influence here but can't be sure.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
I don't know if this pick will work out or not, but the age thing is a stupid argument.

If he gets to a second contract and the Bears want to sign him, then it was a good pick and he'll be 28, not 59. He'll be younger than Allen Robinson is now. Age wasn't a factor while considering resigning Robinson. And they have 4 years to worry about that and build WR depth.

Remember all the bonus points people were handing out for James Daniels being 20 when he was drafted? A lot of good that did the Bears.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
3rd rounders are primarily spot starters and good backups/special teamers….

TL1961

Liked Posts:
ESPN take....not so good

Round 3, No. 71 overall: Velus Jones Jr., WR, Tennessee​

My take: The Bears were looking for speed and they found it in Jones, who ran a 4.31-second 40-yard dash. They also addressed a need on special teams by nabbing arguably the best returner in college football, who averaged 132.5 all purpose-yards per game in 2021. How Jones projects as a wide receiver in the NFL is a bit of an unknown considering his modest offensive production throughout a college career that began in 2016 at USC and culminated in him catching 62 passes for 807 yards and seven touchdowns at Tennessee. The Bears passed up on a handful of more proven receivers, including Jalen Tolbert, Calvin Austin III and David Bell. Chicago isn’t concerned about Jones being a 25-year-old rookie and is fond of his run-after-the-catch ability. Now they’ll have to figure out how he’ll be utilized as a weapon for quarterback Justin Fields.

What’s next: The Bears did not trade back on Friday, so they enter Day 3 without a fourth-round pick. They’ll have to wait until No. 148 in the fifth round to start drafting again and still haven’t selected an offensive lineman. That’s not ideal for Fields’ development considering pass protection remains an area of concern. The O-linemen available to the Bears where they’re currently drafting are expected to be developmental prospects as rookies, so the help for Fields up front may have to come elsewhere this offseason.
Yep, as I have said earlier, ESPN criticized the pick because the Bears took him 35 spots ahead of where they had him projected, while suggesting a better pick was Calvin Austin. But professional GMs decided Austin wasn't worth taking before 138, which is 67 spots below where ESPN had him. Sixty Seven! But yeah, the GMs know nothing, and ESPN has the experts. :ROFLMAO:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Eligible for social security in 2023...excellent pick....

Doing everything to support the Qb!
Yeah, because that 3 years difference will make or break the team. Do you think WRs fall off at 26?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Apparently he's 25. Has anyone else heard this?

napo55

Liked Posts:
Yeah, because that 3 years difference will make or break the team. Do you think WRs fall off at 26?
It took him five years of college to produce one productive season. He will need time to acclimate to the pros and might have a year or two of productivity.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
Apparently he's 25. Has anyone else heard this?
Don't tell anyone but at least 2 of our other picks are 24. It's apparently fairly common this year due to players staying in school an extra year due to covid.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Everyone complaining Fields needed a WR that could contribute NOW to help him develop. They draft one, and people complain because he’s older and may not be here for a 2nd contract.

Just laughable…
no, whats laughable is, he's not an accomplished WR, nothing more than a PR, special teams guy

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Velus Jones may or may not end up being a good draft pick. Dude definitely has talent. But it's easy to see why there's trepidation.

-It took him 6 years of college to get 300 yards in a season.

-Let me repeat: IT TOOK HIM 6 YEARS OF COLLEGE TO GET 300 YARDS IN A SEASON.

-He was not a most-downs receiver. He was very much a special teams guy.

-The upper end of third round receivers get around 300 yards a year in the NFL. The average third round receivers get about 211 yards a year. (Heard this on ESPN 1000, but I'm not sure exactly where they got this stat.)

-He had to change schools just to get on the field (This is less problematic for me, because we can think of a lot of solid NFL'ers who did the same thing, but I know it's an issue for some).

Last edited:

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Eric DeCosta on the wide receiver class:

"It wasn't for a lack of effort," DeCosta said, via USA Today's Ravens Wire site. "I think, honestly, the fact that there was a run of receivers in the first round like there was ... I wouldn't say it was a great receiver class in general, compared to some of the years. There were very good players at the top.
"So, for us, it was a good draft, and there were really good players at other positions. There were some receivers that we liked; we tried to take a couple guys at different points. But, again, one of the (phenomena) that we've seen is that those receivers get picked really, really early now. Similar to corner, they just fly off the board -- in some cases, maybe a round to a round and a half earlier than you'd expect.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Velus Jones may or may not end up being a good draft pick. Dude definitely has talent. But it's easy to see why there's trepidation.

-It took him 6 years of college to get 300 yards in a season.

-Let me repeat: IT TOOK HIM 6 YEARS OF COLLEGE TO GET 300 YARDS IN A SEASON.

-He was not a most-downs receiver. He was very much a special teams guy.

-The upper end of third round receivers get around 300 yards a year. The average third round receivers get about 211 yards a year. (Heard this on ESPN 1000, but I'm not sure exactly where they got this stat.)

-He had to change schools just to get on the field (This is less problematic for me, because we can think of a lot of solid NFL'ers who did the same thing, but I know it's an issue for some).

Most scouts I’ve heard over the years say they draft traits over production. Pickens never had an 800 yard season and Velus did… does that make Velus the better prospect? Of course not. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again…. The trepidation is 100% age related. If Velus was 21 with the obvious traits he does have people would be over the moon with this pick. Problem is he wouldn’t be available in the 3rd if he was 21.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
It took him five years of college to produce one productive season. He will need time to acclimate to the pros and might have a year or two of productivity.
Such a lazy and uneducated take…

• Dislike
Reactions: Myk

napo55

Liked Posts:
Such a lazy and uneducated take…
If you responded to the point made rather than throwing out insults, it might be worth something. When a player takes 5 years to be productive in college, it usually means it will take time to adjust to the NFL. (FIve years to make any real impact in college).

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Calvin Ridley was 24 when he came out. Didn't take for him to breakout. Also Covid was a major factor in this years and last years draft. there are older players in the draft now. Also no one was complaining when Leonard Floyd was 24 when he was drafted in 1st round. Stop complaining and wait to see if he pans out. VJJ has the measurables. You cant teach that. Route running can be taught tho.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Calvin Ridley was 24 when he came out. Didn't take for him to breakout. Also Covid was a major factor in this years and last years draft. there are older players in the draft now. Also no one was complaining when Leonard Floyd was 24 when he was drafted in 1st round. Stop complaining and wait to see if he pans out. VJJ has the measurables. You cant teach that. Route running can be taught tho.
Big difference: Calvin Ridly was productive all three years in college, including over 1,000 yards his freshman year.