Soccer on Soldier Field 14 hours before Bears’ home opener

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
If you really buy into the mccaskey's being the ones to turn those things down.

There's been reports over the last 5 years or so where supposedly it's the park district turning down those things but claiming the Bears are the ones saying they don't want it, because they're playing the usual Chicago politics.
There were reports that a pizza restaurant was selling child sex slaves out of its basement too, and how did that turn out for ya?

Brandon Marshall

Liked Posts:
There are rules in the lease the Fire signed that will force them to reschedule or relocate their game as it is too close to the Bears game. Also it's 22 lightweight guys running around the field, not a handful of 300 pound men battling it out in the same condensed area repeatedly. Any "damage" done by the soccer players would have been done by NFLers in less than 5 minutes.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Meh.

I thought it was more about Solider Field being kinda lame and really small surrounded by a bunch a land they never have a prayer of expanding on and now that the Mastermind McCaskey behind the stadium renovation disaster is deceased...it's time to burn that ugly looking bridge.

If the team truly believed the field conditions were a problem, the Park District has always had alternatives to natural sod ready to be turned down literally every year.
Betting, concessions, added revenue from 2nd party events, capacity, substantially increased franchise value.
Even with 5 days before a game, sometimes a re-sod is required if a concert and it's been not secure by game day and coming up in chunks. We've had family night practices cancelled due to the turf and believe we did have a player injured by a hole in the turf during one of those.
The 2 ranked below us have upgraded their surfaces since the ranking.:dog:

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So?

What are you afraid is going to happen?

Soccer players rolling on the ground, crying, is going to leave an indentation on the field or maybe the salt of their crocodile tears is going to kill some of the grass?

View attachment 19850
View attachment 19851
The game is also spread out and gameplay uses the entire pitch.

It’s football and concerts and weather that destroy the soldier field grass.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There are rules in the lease the Fire signed that will force them to reschedule or relocate their game as it is too close to the Bears game. Also it's 22 lightweight guys running around the field, not a handful of 300 pound men battling it out in the same condensed area repeatedly. Any "damage" done by the soccer players would have been done by NFLers in less than 5 minutes.
Furthermore, soccer studds are much like the machine they use to aerate the grass, and because you aren’t grappling each other you aren’t tearing big chunks of grass out exerting hundreds and hundreds of pound of pressure against each other while going nowhere.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Seriously

This has been discussed for years, every year. The bears can get whatever turf surface they want, whenever they want.

This.

I liked the field and shit conditions back when Urlacher was fast on it while opposing offenses slowed down in the spongy ground...
But now I am ready for a real field and a real nfl offense.

I am no landscaper, but it seems to me that they must spend a shitload of money fixing the field week after week. Turf would likely drop that price.
I guess the bears org. Just likes watching people flail in the mud.

(Although, it is a guilty pleasure to see people getting up after a play with chunks of sod stuck in their masks.)

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
This.

I liked the field and shit conditions back when Urlacher was fast on it while opposing offenses slowed down in the spongy ground...
But now I am ready for a real field and a real nfl offense.

I am no landscaper, but it seems to me that they must spend a shitload of money fixing the field week after week. Turf would likely drop that price.
I guess the bears org. Just likes watching people flail in the mud.

(Although, it is a guilty pleasure to see people getting up after a play with chunks of sod stuck in their masks.)
I remember when someone almost got impaled on some rebar in the early 2ks iirc lmfaowtf

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
There was a preseason game within the past few years...maybe at the eagles but not sure... where the visiting coach refused to play due to a shit field.

Anyone remember where that was?

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I actually think the field has improved greatly since they switched Sod a few years back.

Also… For some reason I too have a memory of a concert at soldier field the day/night before a Bears game. But that could happened 20-25 years ago? Or maybe it was anecdotal rhetoric in some article I read?