Interesting statistical trend of the last 10 Superbowl winners

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Was just messing around looking up different statistics going over the last 10 (or so) Superbowl winners just to see if I could find some trends and or commonalities.

Surprisingly (sort of) the trend that stood out the most was each of the past 10 Superbowl winners were all top 10 in scoring defense, The Rams came in at the 9th spot last season.

It's not terribly surprising but I went into it expecting bigger trends on the offensive side of the ball. Obviously you have to score to win in this league. But the one constant is limiting the opposing teams point total.

Season Super Bowl winner Opponent points per game Rank
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Rank-7

Kansas City Chiefs
Rank-10

New England Patriots
Rank-6

Philadelphia Eagles
Rank-4

New England Patriots
Rank-1

Denver Broncos
Rank-4

New England Patriots
Rank-7

Seattle Seahawks
Rank-1

Baltimore Ravens
Rank-9

Last edited:

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Was just messing around looking up different statics going over the last 10 (or so) Superbowl winners just to see if I could find some trends and or commonalities.

Surprisingly (sort of) the trend that stood out the most was each of the past 10 Superbowl winners were all top 10 in scoring defense, The Rams came in at the 9th spot last season.

It's not terribly surprising but I went into it expecting bigger trends on the offensive side of the ball. Obviously you have to score to win in this league. But the one constant is limiting the opposing teams point total.

Season Super Bowl winner Opponent points per game Rank
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Rank-7

Kansas City Chiefs
Rank-10

New England Patriots
Rank-6

Philadelphia Eagles
Rank-4

New England Patriots
Rank-1

Denver Broncos
Rank-4

New England Patriots
Rank-7

Seattle Seahawks
Rank-1

Baltimore Ravens
Rank-9
thanks

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Good find...and ppl are crying about drafting secondary.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Good find...and ppl are crying about drafting secondary.
Yeah. The Bears aren't going anywhere if they can't score. So I can understand the frustration of the fans on that side of the fence. Reality is you need both sides to be good to have a consistent winner. I'm not mad at the draft like some of the others. Definitely think he filled some needs with quality players, but understand where the support Fields crowd is coming from.

They were never going to fix this mess in one off-season. Hopefully moving forward there's a bigger sense of urgency to get offense up to snuff. I'm pretty confident that will be the case next off-season.

Having a D that leaks like a siv putting the offense behind the 8-ball also doesn't do Fields and co. Any favors, as seen last year.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Yeah. The Bears aren't going anywhere if they can't score. So I can understand the frustration of the fans on that side of the fence. Reality is you need both sides to be good to have a consistent winner. I'm not mad at the draft like some of the others. Definitely think he filled some needs with quality players, but understand where the support Fields crowd is coming from.

They were never going to fix this mess in one off-season. Hopefully moving forward there's a bigger sense of urgency to get offense up to snuff. I'm pretty confident that will be the case next off-season.

Having a D that leaks like a siv putting the offense behind the 8-ball also doesn't do Fields and co. Any favors, as seen last year.
We went very heavy on offense last year and many posters were happy with the picks and trade ups.

...but for some reason it's been predetermined those picks cannot perform because we didn't draft even more offense this year.

I think Fields will have a much better year, and I'm keeping track of all the cry babies who've already written him off.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
We went very heavy on offense last year and many posters were happy with the picks and trade ups.

...but for some reason it's been predetermined those picks cannot perform because we didn't draft even more offense this year.

I think Fields will have a much better year, and I'm keeping track of all the cry babies who've already written him off.
Are you going to put these "cry babies" on your ignore list too?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Yep. In reality, addressing the secondary DOES help Fields. No matter what they did this offseason to help the offense, going to be pretty hard to compete with the secondary giving up too many points every week.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
How many offenses weren’t ranked in the top 10 on those SB winners? Just curious.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Nobody even brought up Fields

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Good defense means absolutely nothing when accompanied by mediocre offense. Bears had 2 top 5 scoring defenses in 2018 and 2019.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure about the last 10, but I read that of the last 4 SB winners, none of them had a 1,000 yard rusher.