Winning Football is Hard

jive

Liked Posts:
Bears fans are so used to losing with sporadic winning that we are unable to stomach what it actually takes to create a consistent winner.
We can say all the right things, but doing them is hard.

"Building through the draft" means that there won't be many big splashes in free agency.
"Not overspending in free agency" means that the free agents we bring in will mostly be no-namers.
"Developing talent on the roster" means that we're going to have to trust the coaching staff to turn these no-namers into contributors.
"Football is a team sport" means that we have to acquire and develop talent in all 3 phases of the game, at every position.

The rebuilding phase sucks, but I do think this regime is at least adopting the right philosophy. Whether they can execute is another thing. But, if they can build the infrastructure during this season, it will be easier to identify and add the necessary players the next season. The offense under Nagy had no identity, so it didn't really matter who was added, the system still sucked. If the systems on both sides of the ball can get effectively installed in 2022, and we get development out of a handful of players, 2023 can be really interesting. Tons of cap space, a franchise QB, solid RBs, a developing defense and O-line, and a full cadre of draft picks can be the foundation for a run in 2023. Let's hope this regime doesn't fuck it up.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Bears fans are so used to losing with sporadic winning that we are unable to stomach what it actually takes to create a consistent winner.

"Building through the draft" means that there won't be many big splashes in free agency.
"Not overspending in free agency" means that the free agents we bring in will mostly be no-namers.
"Developing talent on the roster" means that we're going to have to trust the coaching staff to turn these no-namers into contributors.
"Football is a team sport" means that we have to acquire and develop talent in all 3 phases of the game, at every position.

The rebuilding phase sucks, but I do think this regime is at least adopting the right philosophy. Whether they can execute is another thing. But, if they can build the infrastructure during this season, it will be easier to identify and add the necessary players the next season. The offense under Nagy had no identity, so it didn't really matter who was added, the system still sucked. If the systems on both sides of the ball can get effectively installed in 2022, and we get development out of a handful of players, 2023 can be really interesting. Tons of cap space, a franchise QB, solid RBs, a developing defense and O-line, and a full cadre of draft picks can be the foundation for a run in 2023. Let's hope this regime doesn't fuck it up.

Completely agree, thanks.

Bears_Almighty

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  2. North Carolina Tar Heels

most sane thing I've read on this forum in a while lol. But I agree whole heartedly. ?

Bust

Liked Posts:
Completely agree, thanks.

Very welcome man!

quarterback inconsistency isn’t a new thing for the Bears. In the last 20 years, there have been an astonishing 25 quarterbacks who have started a game for the Chicago Bears. During that same time frame, the Packers have started just six. So as we prepare to welcome yet another new Windy City QB to the longest rivalry in all of professional sports, let’s look back at AND RANK all the Chicago Bears starting quarterbacks from the past 20 years

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
I play my wife in 1v1 football every single morning and I kick her ass. Literally the easiest thing I’ve ever done. That’s exactly how easy I imagine the NFL to be

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets

Finding a silver lining in a 35 year rebuild. Typical Bears fan

Bust

Liked Posts:
Finding a silver lining in a 35 year rebuild. Typical Bears fan

Did you know the Bengals only mustered up 6 wins the first 2 seasons under their stud head coach?

Same staff, same coordinators, same ownership, same stadium . . .

Then by some miracle a specific position got upgraded and they went to the Superbowl.

Weird how that works. Meanwhile Mr. Backup Mitch is ranked 2nd best QB in bear history, heh.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Wanting short-term bandages and heeding the bullshit of media pundits to create yet another a series of mediocre seasons. Even more typical.
No matter what the Bears do it ends up a rebuild. Winning is not part of the Bears culture

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think fans got used to Pace giving them want they wanted with splashy moves and trade ups.

Mack, Arob, Mitch, Fields, Jenkins...etc.

How did that work out?

jive

Liked Posts:
No matter what the Bears do it ends up a rebuild. Winning is not part of the Bears culture
I dunno, the Bears won the division 5 years in a row when I was young and fielded one of the greatest teams in NFL history.
I don't think it's a coincidence that they effectively did what was required to develop a winning team. Granted it was a different time in terms of free agency and salary cap. But they effectively built a team through the draft and developed players. I think every starter on that team except for McMichael and Fencik were drafted by the Bears, including 4 HOFers. Gayle, Thayer, Bortz, Becker, and McKinnon were late round picks and UDFAs that became solid starters. McKinnon making it as a UDFA is impressive considering there were 16 rounds of draft back then.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dunno, the Bears won the division 5 years in a row when I was young and fielded one of the greatest teams in NFL history.
I don't think it's a coincidence that they effectively did what was required to develop a winning team. Granted it was a different time in terms of free agency and salary cap. But they effectively built a team through the draft and developed players. I think every starter on that team except for McMichael and Fencik were drafted by the Bears, including 4 HOFers. Gayle, Thayer, Bortz, Becker, and McKinnon were late round picks and UDFAs that became solid starters. McKinnon making it as a UDFA is impressive considering there were 16 rounds of draft back then.
When you go back thru those drafts they hit on at least 3 players every draft from 1979 to 1985.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I said 35 years which is AFTER the super bowl win

Outside of that there were 2 years around 2005, then the rest has been failure

The bears have a culture of mediocrity and it will never end as long as the McCaskeys own the Bears

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I said 35 years which is AFTER the super bowl win

Outside of that there were 2 years around 2005, then the rest has been failure

The bears have a culture of mediocrity and it will never end as long as the McCaskeys own the Bears

cry more

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
so are finding quarterbacks

And that's key.

If you find "the right guy", you can be a contender year-after-year-after-year.

If you don't, you struggle.

Tampa Bay was a joke for decades - then Tom came to play.
Bengals draft Joe Burrow, and two years later are in the Super Bowl. KC has been a winner ever since they gave the starting job to Mahomes. And I don't have to say too much about our neighbors/nemesis to the north.

Can Fields be "that guy"? Maybe - The jury is still out. This is the year the verdict comes in - fingers crossed.

Scary list, BTW. Henry Burris - Good God...

jive

Liked Posts:
When you go back thru those drafts they hit on at least 3 players every draft from 1979 to 1985.
Hitting on 7 players in 83 is what made that team. Covert, Gault, Richardson, Duerson, Thayer, Dent, Bortz.

Good thing we didn't have the internet back then. I'm sure someone would bitch about that haul.

jive

Liked Posts:
Having watched the Bears for almost 50 years, I can't argue about the McCaskeys. They suck.