Improved Secondary and Offensive Line = Successful 2022 Offseason?

jive

Liked Posts:
Obviously there's too much to fix on this team to do in one season. But, if somehow we improve our secondary and solidify our offense, would you consider the 2022 off season a success?

I think I would. CB2 and S have been liabilities for us and cost us games. Improvement there will win us more games.
O-Line has been a liability for ages. Until a regime is able to solidify that, we will always be pushing a rock uphill. If that is fixed, that will improve the chances of any skill position player succeeding if they are added.

Those 2 improvements will help win more games and support the development of Justin Fields. It will also be a foundation to add upon in 2023.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Yeah that would be a success. But I also don't believe the secondary has cost the team many games, and if so, certainly not as many as an offense that hasn't been able to score points consistently.

2022 will be all about scheme changes, because they certainly don't have as much talent on the OL. They lost a high 2nd round talent in Daniels and a future HOF LT in Peters. They replaced them with a 5th round pick, who struggled at the end of last year and likely a 6th or 7th round rookie.

greg23

Liked Posts:
People stil talk about Sid Luckman....some qb from who knows how long ago.....but yeah; fix a safety and cb2 spot!

Unless the NFL reverts back to the 70' and 80's where qb is a complimentary position; it should be the main (and only) focus.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Obviously there's too much to fix on this team to do in one season. But, if somehow we improve our secondary and solidify our offense, would you consider the 2022 off season a success?

I think I would. CB2 and S have been liabilities for us and cost us games. Improvement there will win us more games.
O-Line has been a liability for ages. Until a regime is able to solidify that, we will always be pushing a rock uphill. If that is fixed, that will improve the chances of any skill position player succeeding if they are added.

Those 2 improvements will help win more games and support the development of Justin Fields. It will also be a foundation to add upon in 2023.
I'm not sure a bunch of 6th and 7th round OL picks improved our OL and the center from GB is also a bit over rated IMO

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
The 2022 season's ship has sailed. When GM Cryan Fools passed on a WR that would likely have not even been starter quality with their second round picks the season and Justin Fields career was doomed.

jive

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure a bunch of 6th and 7th round OL picks improved our OL and the center from GB is also a bit over rated IMO

Has the Oline really improved? They brought in a center and a bunch of late round picks but lost their best lineman in FA.
I didn't mean that the line has improved. They haven't even put on pads yet, so I have no clue.

It's a matter of if they improve. It's not likely based on where players were drafted, but you're more likely to find a late round starter on the OL than other positions., so there's a glimmer of hope.

If Poles somehow solidifies the O-line with a bunch a draft picks that he didn't start out with, he deserves some kudos.

Last edited:

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Yeah that would be a success. But I also don't believe the secondary has cost the team many games, and if so, certainly not as many as an offense that hasn't been able to score points consistently.

2022 will be all about scheme changes, because they certainly don't have as much talent on the OL. They lost a high 2nd round talent in Daniels and a future HOF LT in Peters. They replaced them with a 5th round pick, who struggled at the end of last year and likely a 6th or 7th round rookie.
That HoF LT we replaced was a shadow of his former HoF self. Let’s not act like Peters was great. He was serviceable at best. And Daniels? Please. Not even close to worth keeping at that price.

But you’re right it will be about scheme and coaching this year. Even getting close to league average in that regard will be light years better than the Nagy years…

Username

Liked Posts:
No. Only a winning record is a success, and even with that, winning in the playoff is the only thing acceptable. Making to the play offs and going one and done is not acceptable. Anything less that is not even considered. Bears will suck until they make it to the playoffs and win a few games there. Cutler was a improvement over past QB's, but this was not acceptable. Bears D under Nagy was better than under Fox, but this was not acceptable. No one cares unless they win. Period.

Brownie

Liked Posts:

Yes. OL + Secondary Improvement + Running the Ball + a competent offensive staff in 2022 would be a great foundation.

Dumpster Fire

Liked Posts:
Moving Jenkins to his stronger position at RT should be an improvement. Replacing Mustipher with a traffic cone, or an ascending player who knows the scheme in Patrick should be an improvement. We all know there are massive question marks at LT and RG currently.

Having competent coaches who can implement a game plan set up opposing defenses with plays through the course of a game will be an improvement. Guys, our previous coach seemed to be picking plays at random off of the wallpaper in his man cave. Having coaches who can actually make adjustments at halftime and tailor the scheme to the players on the roster will be an improvement. I'm excited to see it.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
The secondary should be better, but our front 7 has decayed. I haven't been following the offseason that closely...but can you guys name our starting SAM & WILL?

There's no excuse for Jenkins not to be a good starter this year at one of the tackle positions. If not, he was a waste of 2 draft picks - period.

I would imagine Getsy pushed for Lucas Patrick because he knows the offense and is better than Mustipher. If Patrick is well below average, it would make me question Getsy's evaluation skills.

Cody Whitehair is still good enough for the Bears.

Three of the five positions should be decent. These are completely reasonable expectations.

If the Bears are lucky...either Borom or Braxton Jones is at least an average OT.

Keep in mind, one of the primary reasons Justin Fields needed to start immediately last year was because "his athleticism alone can compensate for a bad o-line." It did not look that way to me, but hopefully a scheme change will make a huge difference.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I didn't mean that the line has improved. They haven't even put on pads yet, so I have no clue.

It's a matter of if they improve. It's not likely based on where players were drafted, but you're more likely to find a late round starter on the OL than other positions., so there's a glimmer of hope.

If Poles somehow solidifies the O-line with a bunch a draft picks that he didn't start out with, he deserves some kudos.
I'm OK with that

Nelly

Liked Posts:
The secondary should be better, but our front 7 has decayed. I haven't been following the offseason that closely...but can you guys name our starting SAM & WILL?
Roquan is the will, Nicholas Morrow the mike, and maybe Jeremiah Attachou as the sam.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Roquan is the will, Nicholas Morrow the mike, and maybe Jeremiah Attachou as the sam.
I was wondering about that. Roquan to WILL. Most depth charts have the updated 4-3 scheme with Roquan at MIKE.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We thought the last coaching staff might be competent. That the offense was going to be awesome... We see how that turned out.

I'll have faith in the FO and Staff after they have the job for about 3 years and show marked improvement each year.... We're constantly burned by the 1 hit wonders with zero adjustment ability...

Until then, my expectations are low. And that's ok...

Don't let my opinion hurt your feelings.

Bust

Liked Posts:
We thought the last coaching staff might be competent. That the offense was going to be awesome... We see how that turned out.

I'll have faith in the FO and Staff after they have the job for about 3 years and show marked improvement each year.... We're constantly burned by the 1 hit wonders with zero adjustment ability...

Until then, my expectations are low. And that's ok...

Don't let my opinion hurt your feelings.

Justin has 1 year. that's it. If he fails Bears will go free agency route next year <they have funds to do so> and try to land Lamar Jackson in free agency

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Justin has 1 year. that's it. If he fails Bears will go free agency route next year <they have funds to do so> and try to land Lamar Jackson in free agency

I HIGHLY doubt the Bears move past Justin before his first 4 years are up. They may not give him the 5th year option... but barring injury, he's here until his rookie contract is up.