Winning Football is Hard

Bust

Liked Posts:
And that's key.

If you find "the right guy", you can be a contender year-after-year-after-year.

If you don't, you struggle.

Tampa Bay was a joke for decades - then Tom came to play.
Bengals draft Joe Burrow, and two years later are in the Super Bowl. KC has been a winner ever since they gave the starting job to Mahomes. And I don't have to say too much about our neighbors/nemesis to the north.

Can Fields be "that guy"? Maybe - The jury is still out. This is the year the verdict comes in - fingers crossed.

Scary list, BTW. Henry Burris - Good God...

bingo. and some of these cats are going back near 40 years to find the glory days of the bears. an era where free agency was still at its infancy yet they only mustered up ONE SUPERBOWL on a roster full of hall of famers.

why only one ring you ask?

you guessed it they couldn't get the QB position right. McMahon was always injured and Ditka resorted to starting Doug Flutie in a championship game when he had all but one nfl start to his name.

In that playoff game Flutie went 11-31 completions for 134 yards and 2 picks, LOL

jive

Liked Posts:
bingo. and some of these cats are going back near 40 years to find the glory days of the bears. an era where free agency was still at its infancy yet they only mustered up ONE SUPERBOWL on a roster full of hall of famers.

why only one ring you ask?

you guessed it they couldn't get the QB position right. McMahon was always injured and Ditka resorted to starting Doug Flutie in a championship game when he had all but one nfl start to his name.

In that playoff game Flutie went 11-31 completions for 134 yards and 2 picks, LOL
You forgot to mention that the Bears won 7 games with Mike Tomczak at QB who sucked just as bad that year, if not worse. He only threw 2 TDs in those 7 games vs 10 INTs. If anything, bringing in Flutie messed with the chemistry of the team, and starting him in the playoffs after Tomczack led them to wins probably sealed the deal.

They did not get the QB right, it should have been Tomczak.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The philosophy is sound.... But if you don't have the right people making decisions... it can still be poorly executed and fail miserably...

AKA... the last 35 years of the Bears Organization....

Bust

Liked Posts:
BRUTAL! On a side note is youtube not the best source ever for history archives? WOW!

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

mecha

Liked Posts:
1. Jay Cutler was a loser(see record) and a non leader at the Qb position. Orton was better and was a winner. Letting him go to Denver
was a mistake.
Orton didn't win anything either. fun fact.

at least Cutler won a playoff game (against a team with a losing record that happened to beat a team with a winning record the week before)

imagine being Brandon Marshall and being the sole reason your team never could make the playoffs!

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
When you say "all 3 phases" does that include the offense? Particularly the O line

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Hitting on 7 players in 83 is what made that team. Covert, Gault, Richardson, Duerson, Thayer, Dent, Bortz.

Good thing we didn't have the internet back then. I'm sure someone would bitch about that haul.
Willie Gault can only run the fly pattern!!!!

@TheWinman

Toast88

Liked Posts:
"Overspending" is in the eye of the beholder, and winning teams absolutely DO make big free agent splashes.

I'm not suggesting 2022 is the 'go for it' year for the Bears. It's not. But it's wrong to say winning teams don't make big free agent splashes.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
And that's key.

If you find "the right guy", you can be a contender year-after-year-after-year.

If you don't, you struggle.

Tampa Bay was a joke for decades - then Tom came to play.
Bengals draft Joe Burrow, and two years later are in the Super Bowl. KC has been a winner ever since they gave the starting job to Mahomes. And I don't have to say too much about our neighbors/nemesis to the north.

Can Fields be "that guy"? Maybe - The jury is still out. This is the year the verdict comes in - fingers crossed.

Scary list, BTW. Henry Burris - Good God...
I agree enthusiastically with everything you said, other than the verdict coming in this year. Highly doubt it.

If Fields rises above it all and just balls out like a madman, yeah, the questions will be answered. But barring that, no, we won't have any answers. We won't know whether he's the guy or not if he has ups and downs, has no one to throw to, and runs for his life all year.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No matter how you build a team, nothing works unless you find a QB, I think we can all agree we had the talent in 06 to go for a few years, if we found a great QB, and we can't even fault them for not trying, they did draft a QB in the first round, just Rex was a Bust... Orton was just below average to average at best.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
1. Jay Cutler was a loser(see record) and a non leader at the Qb position. Orton was better and was a winner. Letting him go to Denver
was a mistake.
Orton didn't win anything either. fun fact.

at least Cutler won a playoff game (against a team with a losing record that happened to beat a team with a winning record the week before)

imagine being Brandon Marshall and being the sole reason your team never could make the playoffs!

I was going by jay's total career. He was not a winner at the Qb position. Orton left the NFL with a winning record. That article had jay as the best
Bear Qb. I disagree with the article. jay had numerous problems as a Qb and he never improved himself.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I think fans got used to Pace giving them want they wanted with splashy moves and trade ups.

Mack, Arob, Mitch, Fields, Jenkins...etc.

How did that work out?
So now you speak for all fans?

You're out of your god damned mind poopy pants.