Ryan Pace has made 46 Draft picks his time here

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
And out of all 46 draft picks only 19 remain and to be fair 6 were from last years draft. I made a thread a while back comparing our last three GMs and CCS overwhelming said Emery was the worst of them, if Fields doesn’t pan out will that change people’s minds?

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
And out of all 46 draft picks only 19 remain and to be fair 6 were from last years draft. I made a thread a while back comparing our last three GMs and CCS overwhelming said Emery was the worst of them, if Fields doesn’t pan out will that change people’s minds?
No lol Emery was pretty bad.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm on record saying Emery is better. Unfortunately for Phil, he didn't get George's 7 year leash.
If he didn't hire Trestman he would've gotten a longer leash...but yeah...

Zero chance he was getting to hire another coach.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Emery was worse. I remember him admitting his draft strategy and that dude actually said if they missed out on Aaron Donald they were going to draft a DT with their next two picks…regardless of the board lol….could you have a worse draft strategy? Those picks turned out to be Ego Ferguson and some other scrub DT who’s name I can’t even remember.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:

20. Brandon Hardin, S

Hardin, a 2012 third-round pick, never played a down in the NFL. No-brainer here.

19. Evan Rodriguez, FB/TE

Rodriguez had four career receptions for 21 yards. That's it. Not too impressive for a fourth-round pick.

18. Greg McCoy, CB

McCoy never played a down in the NFL, but his seventh-round status saves him from falling any lower on this list.

17. David Fales, QB

Fales stayed on with the Bears on and off for three years, so there's that. But why use a draft pick on a quarterback who's only going to throw five passes in his career?

16. Ego Ferguson, DT

The selection of Ferguson was a head-scratcher then, and it still is today. The 2014 second-rounder only started in one game with the team due to poor performance and injuries and was released this offseason.

15. Brock Vereen, S

Vereen started four games with the Bears in his rookie year, but was released early in the 2015 season.

14. Khaseem Greene, LB

Once thought of as the steal of the 2013 draft, Greene started six games in his two years with the Bears, but was cut in May of 2015.

13. Isaiah Frey, CB

Frey was never anything special, but he did start seven games in his two years with the Bears. There have been worse sixth-round picks.

12. Cornelius Washington, DL

It was always a matter of "what if" with Washington. CornWash had talent, but couldn't stay healthy. The 2013 sixth-rounder had 30 tackles, three sacks and played in 31 games.

11. Jon Bostic, LB

Bostic started 17 games with the Bears and racked up 103 tackles. Although he never lived up to his second-round hype, he could've done worse.

10. Will Sutton, DT

Like Bostic, Sutton didn't live up to his Day 2 status. He did start 18 games and have 60 tackles, though. The Bears' switch to a 3-4 defense really affected his play.

9. Shea McClellin, DE/OLB/ILB

You know a group of players is bad when Shea McClellin is this high on the list.

The 2012 first-round pick only had 6.5 sacks with the Bears, but he started in 31 games and had 161 tackles with the team. His stats are better than some players higher on this list, but his lofty draft status drops him a bit.

8. Marquess Wilson, WR

Marquess Wilson could've been better than he was with the Bears. Nevertheless, he was still decent. The 2013 seventh-rounder had 56 receptions, 777 yards and three touchdowns in 31 games (14 starts) with the team.

7. Jordan Mills, OT

Mills wasn't great during his time with the Bears. Still, he managed to start in every game he played in the navy and orange. Although he only stayed on the team for two years, he was more reliable than a lot of players on this list.

6. Ka’Deem Carey, RB

Carey is the first player on this list who is still on the Bears. We've gone through 14 players without reaching a player still on the roster. Gadzooks.

The 2014 fourth-rounder might be in jeopardy of losing a roster spot this year. He has 111 carries, 443 yards, two touchdowns and a receiving touchdown. Not great, but hey, it's better than what a lot of other people on this list can say.

5. Pat O’Donnell, P

A punter made it into the top five. I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

O'Donnell has been a below-average punter during his tenure with the Bears. He has had 209 punts for 9,198 yards, along with 72 punts inside the 20-yard line. Whether he will be their long-term punter remains to be seen, but his roster spot seems safe for this year.

4. Kyle Fuller, CB

This is just sad.

Fuller had a great rookie season, in which he had four interceptions, 64 tackles and 10 pass deflections. His sophomore year wasn't as great - two interceptions, 55 tackles, nine deflections - but his 2016 season (or lack, thereof) raised some concerns. He missed the entire with an injury that could've been recovered from way earlier than it did. The 2014 first-rounder might not even be on the roster come Week 1.

3. Charles Leno Jr., OT

Charles Leno Jr. was Phil Emery’s lone late-round gem.

The 2014 sixth-rounder has started in 30 of the 38 games he's played; 16 of those starts came last year at left tackle. He has been slowly improving over time, and he may be due for a solid pay day next offseason in free agency.

2. Alshon Jeffery, WR

Alongside Brandon Marshall, Jeffery helped form arguably the most dominant wide receiver duo in the NFL for two years. After Marshall left, the 2012 second-rounder was easily the most talented offensive weapon the team had. Although he left for Philadelphia this offseason, the one-time Pro Bowler's contributions with the Bears will go down in history.

1. Kyle Long, OG

All three of Phil Emery's first-round picks were viewed predominantly as reaches. Only one of them truly paid off.

Long has been the heart and soul of the Bears since he joined the team in 2013. The three-time Pro Bowler has been a positive impact for the team on and off the field. He has been a dominant force in the trenches, and hence, he is the best draft pick in Phil Emery's otherwise awful tenure as Bears general manager.

wonky73

Las Vegas Sorts News
Liked Posts:
Ryan's 1st 3 years were objectively worse than Emory's three years. The record was worse and Ryan blew more draft capital. Pace threw away 3 top ten picks

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I just find it hard to get into a debate whose the worst bad gm lol. Let’s just say since George has taken over the team this franchise has gotten remarkably worse

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:

Yet, how many did we let walk? How many still took snaps in 2021? How do these numbers compare to other GMs?

Emery seemed to find one good player each draft and that was it. Pace consistently found guys to fill out the roster and actually have a role with the team. He did this all throughout the draft.

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:

Pace is one of the worst GMs of any Chicago sports franchise that I've seen. But you can't argue with his last two drafts. They were really really good.

2020 Kmet, Jaylon Johnson, Trevis Gipson, and Darnell Mooney. People are going to complain about Kmet, but TE is such a hard position to draft.

2021 Fields, Jenkins, Borom, Herbert, Thomas Graham. Jury is still out on 4 of those 5, but everyone on that list there's reason to be hopeful.

That's 9 key contributors.

Pace's problem was a devastatingly bad initial drafting. Then he mortgaged the future very expensively to pay for the sins of his past. The signings of Danny Trevathan, Nick Foles, Jimmy Graham, Tarik Cohen and Andy Dalton were just awful.

I would argue that Pace's decisions were so incredibly bad that the Bears should be far and away the worst franchise in the NFL except for the fact that he did very well for his last two drafts.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Pace bailed himself out with good mid round picks. They filled the roster out and kept the team from bottoming out. Emery drafted alot of guys that couldn't even make it in the league.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I think analyzing a GM based on how many players are still with the team is a little misleading. I think a better assessment is using how many players got 2nd contracts, especially good sized 2nd contracts. Like you can't fault Pace for Adrian Amos not being on the team anymore. Amos is a really good player and obviously was a really good draft pick.

Amos, Kwiatkoski, Floyd, Nichols, Daniels, Goldman, and Cohen all got well-deserved big (relative to position) 2nd contracts in the league. Add in Whitehair and Jackson who are 2 of the remaining 19, and you have 26 of 46 (more than half) that are still playing roles in the league (when Cohen is healthy and when Goldman is signed). And that doesn't include Trubisky who was obviously a huge part of getting the team to 2 playoff berths, and is still potentially a starter in the league.

I'm not a big Pace fan, and he definitely needed to go, but he wasn't as bad as he's made out to be. He definitely improved his drafting over his last 3 years. But he was a victim of being overaggressive in free agency and paying the wrong players, and also in the draft by trading up almost obsessively.