Are the Bears the worst team in the NFL?

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
You don't think? I think there's a good argument for it. No offense outside of the RBs, a lack of defensive players who fit the new system and general lack of talent. Where's the quality? They look horrible everywhere.
Did you miss the draft? The Defense will be good this year. Top 15 at worst unless serious injury issues. The Bears do not suffer from a lack of talent on that side of the ball.

The special teams unit looks loaded. Should be great.

Offense will come down to Getsy but I think we have enough to make it work if he lives up to the hype, even if that means an average offense this year.

"Horrible everywhere" is an emotional statement.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Did you miss the draft? The Defense will be good this year.
They were one of the worst pass defenses in the league last year. And you think they're going to suddenly be top 15 because of a rookie box safety and another rookie who was the second best corner on his college team? This roster is trash. Poles and Eberflus have their work cut out for them over the coming few years.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Offense will come down to Getsy but I think we have enough to make it work if he lives up to the hype, even if that means an average offense this year.
The offense was 24th in yards and 26th in points last year. They've lost their only legit receiver. Mooney is a #3 on most teams and a #2 at best in a mediocre offense. Struggling line, no receivers, unproven QB, and new offensive system with a coordinator who's never called plays before.

What in the world makes you think the offense will be average? They'll be a bottom 5 offense if not the absolute worst.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
They were one of the worst pass defenses in the league last year. And you think they're going to suddenly be top 15 because of a rookie box safety and another rookie who was the second best corner on his college team? This roster is trash. Poles and Eberflus have their work cut out for them over the coming few years.
That is all battered syndrome logic. You are seeking out all the negatives instead of seeing what is actually there.

Eburflus is proven even when he didn't have a lot of talent. Quinn and Roquan are elite. All 5 starters in the secondary have pro bowl potential.
None of the other starters on D are glaring weaknesses. The rookies might go through some growing pains but I don't have any concerns about the defense this year being at least top 15 and I expect top 10.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
The offense was 24th in yards and 26th in points last year. They've lost their only legit receiver. Mooney is a #3 on most teams and a #2 at best in a mediocre offense. Struggling line, no receivers, unproven QB, and new offensive system with a coordinator who's never called plays before.

What in the world makes you think the offense will be average? They'll be a bottom 5 offense if not the absolute worst.
The coaching, playcalling, the pieces they have added to support the new offense, and Fields growth. We are talking about being average.
Ultimately it comes down to Getsy and his ability to make it work. Based on my limited view he could be great.

Last edited:

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The coaching, playcalling, the pieces they have added to support the new offense, and Fields growth.

I'm not
What pieces?

How can you assume the play calling will be good when he's never called plays before? This is pure hope. There's nothing to base it on.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
What pieces?

How can you assume the play calling will be good when he's never called plays before? This is pure hope. There's nothing to base it on.
Fair points. I posted before I was finished. I added more. Some of it is just a gut feel that you have about people largely based on the different articles you read about them. If nothing else I have consumed whenever real news or articles that were available on the new staff and players.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
All 5 starters in the secondary have pro bowl potential.
Then you could say that about any NFL player. Jackson has sucked for a couple of years and they're going to start two second round rookies. Johnson is the only player in the secondary you could have any reasonable expectation to be above average. There's literally nothing outside of hopeful fandom to think they'll not be a bottom 10 secondary.

None of the other starters on D are glaring weaknesses. The rookies might go through some growing pains but I don't have any concerns about the defense this year being at least top 15 and I expect top 10.
Again, seems like more hope than expectation. They're changing to a 4-3 and have no credible 3-tech and one starter quality end. Of the three sections of the defense the LBers are the only group that looks half decent. Overall the front seven looks mediocre and the secondary looks trash.

They gave up over 400 points last year in a system that the roster was built to fit. There's nothing concrete to suggest they'll be a better unit this year.

Last edited:

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Fair points. I posted before I was finished. I added more. Some of it is just a gut feel that you have about people largely based on the different articles you read about them. If nothing else I have consumed whenever real news or articles that were available on the new staff and players.
I'm optimistic about the new GM and HC. I think Eberflus knows what he's doing and I like that poles was prepared to immediately get rid of big contracts that won't be here when the team is competitive again. Rebuilding a team from the bottom up means getting worse before you get better, and I fully expect that to be the case in 2022. This is a multi-year fix and the first year, maybe two, will be ugly. But it's necessary to build the team the right way.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
Then you could say that about any NFL player. Jackson has sucked for a couple of years and they're going to start two second round rookies. Johnson is the only player in the secondary you could have any reasonable expectation to be above average. There's literally nothing outside of hopeful fandom to think they'll not be a bottom 10 secondary.

Again, seems like more hope than expectation. They're changing to a 4-3 and have no credible 3-tech and one starter quality end. Of the three sections of the defense the LBers are the only group that looks half decent. Overall the front seven looks mediocre and the secondary looks trash.

They gave up over 400 points last year in a system that the roster was built to fit. There's nothing concrete to suggest they'll be a better unit this year.

Agree to disagree on the secondary. The two rookies have serious upside and low floors
The nickel we picked up in free agency is top 5 if he can stay healthy.
The hope is Jackson can return to the player he was when Amos was SS. Brisker should be that and more. Brisker should also be the leader of this D soon.

3 tech is a concern but I think Mario Edwards can be effective there especially with Jones rotating in.

All I want to see this year is buy in from the players, smart playcalling and Fields' progress and his safety.

We have 150+ mm cap next year to bring in talent to compete at a high level. I'm ready for a 500 season with promise in the right places.

Last edited:

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agree to disagree on the secondary. The two rookies have serious upside and low floors
The nickel we picked up in free agency is top 5 if he can stay healthy.
The hope is Jackson can return to the player he was when Amos was SS. Brisker should be that and more. Brisker should also be the leader of this D soon.

3 tech is a concern but I think Mario Edwards can be effective there especially with Jones rotating in.

All I want to see this year is buy in from the players, smart playcalling and Fields' progress and his safety.

We have 150+ mm cap next year to bring in talent to compete at a high level. I'm ready for a 500 season with promise in the right places.

Holy Special person meatball.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Eberflus turned a terrible, 3-4 Colts defense into a 4-3 that was a top 10 unit with the only major addition being drafting Darius Leonard. The Bears have way more talent the Colts had on defense. The defense will be good, that's why you hire Eberflus. The offense will go where Fields takes it. If he improves, the offense will improve.