Kindle Vildor will have a better year in 2022

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I believe I read that the Bears ran more man coverage than any team in the league last year. Vildor is probably as pure of a zone CB as the Bears have on this team. The Bears now will presumably be zone heavy on D, so he should naturally feel more comfortable in the scheme.

Like was said, hopefully he doesn't have to play much. He's best as a 4th/5th CB instead of a starter on the outside. If he does play, it likely means injuries to one of the top guys. And like was also said, he was in good position most of the time in man coverage. He just doesn't have the height or length to contest big receivers on the outside. Him being in great position on Friermuth a couple times in the Steelers game sticks out. But he had 0 chance against a 6'5" TE to disrupt the pass. He's probably never going to be a full-time starter for the Bears again, but I think he can give them some good dime reps or spot starts if necessary, which is fine for a 5th round pick.

He sucked in man because he sucked finding the ball at the catch point.

That would suggest he does have the movement skills for man but needs to get better at finding the ball at the catch point.

Bears did not run the most man but were near the top. Thry still ran zome over 50% of the time.

Fangio's scheme is predicated on showing Cover 2 and mixing up coverages after the snap so it is based on guys being able to play both man and zone hence the almost 50-50 split.

Bust

Liked Posts:
one of the db's needs to get 5 picks

5 is the magic number boyz

Pretzel Logic

“I have forced myself to contradict myself "
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Pittsburgh Pirates
  1. Philadelphia 76ers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Pittsburgh Penguins
If he see's the field in a starting capacity, the Bears are more fucked than they are already shaping up to be.

Unpicking the mess of the roster the last fuckstick created is going to take a while longer yet.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
All I'm saying is, it is much harder to teach someone to run and cover than it is to teach them proper technique at the end of the route.
Understand and agree with what you said. I think the issue is projecting him as any type of building piece or even someone that will be here after his rookie contract ends. Last year was not his rookie season either.

jive

Liked Posts:
If only got burnt a handful of times as opposed to alot of times, then he'd show some improvement.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
He sucked in man because he sucked finding the ball at the catch point.

That would suggest he does have the movement skills for man but needs to get better at finding the ball at the catch point.

Bears did not run the most man but were near the top. Thry still ran zome over 50% of the time.

Fangio's scheme is predicated on showing Cover 2 and mixing up coverages after the snap so it is based on guys being able to play both man and zone hence the almost 50-50 split.
Yeah, I understand that the Bears still ran mostly zone D, like everyone else. And Vildor seemingly held up in zone, based on my eye test and memory, other than a couple blown coverages that stand out. I think he may be a guy that always has trouble at the catch point because he is on the shorter side (though he does have long enough arms). And he's not noted for his ball skills. I think his ability at the catch point will be better in zone, simply because he should be able to see everything instead of trying to find the ball at the last moment in man. I think teams did a good job of reading man presnap and taking advantage of him. You get the complaints that "Desai left Vildor on an island" simply because teams took advantage of that island almost every chance they got.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I’m sorry, was Vildor ever coached by Fangio?

PackerNation

Winning Is A Habit
Liked Posts:
So, who is the starting NB? Tavon Young? Yeah, I guess he is better than Graham or Vildor. Not by much though. All 3 of those cats are complete garbage.

If Gordon shows in camp that he isn't quite ready to be trusted outside, then you could see Vildor on the grass again.

Who in their right mind would have any confidence at all in DC Alan Williams? Man, this is going to be ugly in all 3 phases this season. Oh well, it has been for a while now.

At least with Luke Getsy you have someone with half a clue. He will be handcuffed by the joke of a roster they handed him to work with, but at least the players will feel like the guy running show knows what he is doing.

Not sure the defense will feel that way with Williams.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I realized he played poorly at times last year, but as a former receiver who pays a lot of attention to downfield action, #22 has an ability that is difficult to teach. Quite simply, he can run with receivers. He's not typically 5 yards away from a receiver when they make a catch. He's usually within a yard and doesn't get his head turned around in time or doesn't play the ball properly. Basically what he lacks is the ability to properly finish a play. I believe that with coaching and in a cover-two he will rebound.
This. He would have been much more successful last year if they were running the C2. He was surprisingly tight in man/trail but man, he couldn't find or reach the ball when it got there.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
All I'm saying is there was a tweet about how JJ isn't that great because he's played well in a system that catered to him and now this new system won't. This all despite the fact that a top 5 WR in the game said JJ was great. Now we have this thread where we're again talking about how the system didn't favor Vildor, but this one will.

What are we doing here? I'm far from a CB expert, but if you're telling me Vildor ever came close to passing the eye test then I don't know what you were watching.
JJ will be fine in this system as well. Whomever said he wouldn't be good here is simply wrong.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I understand that the Bears still ran mostly zone D, like everyone else. And Vildor seemingly held up in zone, based on my eye test and memory, other than a couple blown coverages that stand out. I think he may be a guy that always has trouble at the catch point because he is on the shorter side (though he does have long enough arms). And he's not noted for his ball skills. I think his ability at the catch point will be better in zone, simply because he should be able to see everything instead of trying to find the ball at the last moment in man. I think teams did a good job of reading man presnap and taking advantage of him. You get the complaints that "Desai left Vildor on an island" simply because teams took advantage of that island almost every chance they got.

He was atrocious in man but still below average to average in zone. Also keep in mind Bears rarely blitz so a lot of that man coverage he had S help and still sucked.

I’m sorry, was Vildor ever coached by Fangio?

No was saying Desai pretty much runs Fangio scheme. Good read on it here.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So, who is the starting NB? Tavon Young? Yeah, I guess he is better than Graham or Vildor. Not by much though. All 3 of those cats are complete garbage.

If Gordon shows in camp that he isn't quite ready to be trusted outside, then you could see Vildor on the grass again.

Who in their right mind would have any confidence at all in DC Alan Williams? Man, this is going to be ugly in all 3 phases this season. Oh well, it has been for a while now.

At least with Luke Getsy you have someone with half a clue. He will be handcuffed by the joke of a roster they handed him to work with, but at least the players will feel like the guy running show knows what he is doing.

Not sure the defense will feel that way with Williams.

Graham ended the offseason program as the nickel back.

Barrimg injury Gordon is ready.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
To be clear. Vildor while able to stay tight, did not swat balls. He's still short even if he's facing the QB. He'll make the team but think he's #5 this year. I just think that if Vildor is your 5th CB, that's a pretty good crew. Not sure how he'll have a better year as a backup but if he gets to play, he'll fit this scheme much better. He won't start outside and I don't want mighty mouse covering TEs.

Last edited:

PackerNation

Winning Is A Habit
Liked Posts:
Barrimg injury Gordon is ready.
Thanks coach. Since you delusionally think you are on the payroll, what other coach on ANY coaching staff would say a rookie is "ready" before the pads go on?

Sit down and let the adults talk football.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Thanks coach. Since you delusionally think you are on the payroll, what other coach on ANY coaching staff would say a rookie is "ready" before the pads go on?

Sit down and let the adults talk football.

Sorry you aren't a coach. I was responding to a Packers fan. In the same way Packers fans think Walker and Wyatt will be ready this year, Bears fans can think Gordon will be ready.

If you want to talk to coaches then go join an NFL team but this is a Bears message board not a coaches forum.

PackerNation

Winning Is A Habit
Liked Posts:
Sorry you aren't a coach. I was responding to a Packers fan. In the same way Packers fans think Walker and Wyatt will be ready this year, Bears fans can think Gordon will be ready.

If you want to talk to coaches then go join an NFL team but this is a Bears message board not a coaches forum.
You replied to me commenting that if Gordon shows in camp that he isn't quite ready, then it's possible you could see Vildor on the grass. Completely honest and factual comment by me.

You:
"Barring injury Gordon is ready."

I would never comment that Quay Walker and Devonte Wyatt are assured starting spots on the Packers defense before the pads go on in camp.

If you are offended/hurt that I said thanks coach, after you proclaimed Gordon is ready, then that is on you.