*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No, you intimated that he was already under an NFL suspension. He needs to get this over with simply to get this over with and be able to play again at some point, regardless of where the play limitations are coming from. I suspect the urgency is still there for him but that Browns contract may have relaxed his rush. That just seemed odd considering the circumstances. Probably a lot we don't know or they really jumped the gun here. You'd have thought that they'd at least consulted the league on Watson's disposition before that trade. From the news we're getting now, it appears more like they just they just rolled the dice on this but there's so much we don't know here.

Depositions or complaints are different than criminal proceedings and if these women are signing NDAs, they don't carry the weight of a conviction or even similar testimony in a trial as opposed to a deposition without any ability to corroborate. They can still be viewed as greedy, skanks by biased football fans. If he can prevent this from going to trial, he's simply much better off unless he's certain he can win the case(s).

Just read this. If true, it's rather damning to Watson and the Texans that would become part of the suit.

According to the report, Watson asked several of the therapists to sign an N.D.A. he received from a Texans staff member, and in his deposition he said the team arranged for some of the massages to happen at “a place” at The Houstonian, a hotel and spa in Houston. Per the Times, “he used the fitness club, dined there and also set up massages in hotel rooms.” May have something to do with why they wanted Watson out of the public eye and try to settle. Mud continues to thicken.

And it sounds like the NFL was trying to not throw Watson under the bus since their interview with victims seemed more like cross examinations.

I was suggesting his sitting out all of last year was based on input from the NFL IMO ie best to keep him off the field until this is all resolved. Having the Texans do it keep their options open to suspend him further if need be.

I think the urgency is for a suspension to be leveled before the season starts. The NFL doesnt want him playing whilebthey still debating and doubt he wants to go into the season with his suspension still unclear.

Yes it is better if it doesnt go to trial but my point was the best outcome if it was about keeping them quiet would have been settling before any dispositions and testimony was received at all. He was clearly willing to let some of this info out even to the point of testifying himself.

The NDA stuff is not as damning legally as it relates to the assault claims. If he was soliciting sexual favors then it would make sense for both he and the Texans to not want that to come out. That doesnt mean he was sexually assaulting someone. In other words the NDA would make sense whether he were just having consensual sexual favors for money which is against the law or whether he was sexually assault these women.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I was suggesting his sitting out all of last year was based on input from the NFL IMO ie best to keep him off the field until this is all resolved. Having the Texans do it keep their options open to suspend him further if need be.

I think the urgency is for a suspension to be leveled before the season starts. The NFL doesnt want him playing whilebthey still debating and doubt he wants to go into the season with his suspension still unclear.

Yes it is better if it doesnt go to trial but my point was the best outcome if it was about keeping them quiet would have been settling before any dispositions and testimony was received at all. He was clearly willing to let some of this info out even to the point of testifying himself.

The NDA stuff is not as damning legally as it relates to the assault claims. If he was soliciting sexual favors then it would make sense for both he and the Texans to not want that to come out. That doesnt mean he was sexually assaulting someone. In other words the NDA would make sense whether he were just having consensual sexual favors for money which is against the law or whether he was sexually assault these women.
The league let that trade go through. It would have been in their best interests to inform the Browns if they had already reached a, or were active in a, decision on Watson. The points of emphasis seem to be changing. I'll take all this all at face value.

People act like the league has something to gain by suspending players. They only lose. They just lose less by saving some face. They'd rather not need to.

Last edited:

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Wife and I were doing great eating one vegan meal a week, but man are those options limited.
Our vegan meals are mostly veg curries or stews, southeast Asian or African. There's variety in it and easy prep for the most part. Never been a fan of vegetarian or vegan dishes that are trying to be meat.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
naw, love me some of that

just annoying af when people feel the need to crap on personal shit cause a dude is a shit player or coach or whatever.

Like they suck, bag on em for that. Should be enough. I don't get the contingent of people that have to talk shit about hair lines or diet or wives or whatever. Some regressive, barely concealed alt right normative bullshit
I think the Vegan chicken parm thing isn't about him being vegan, but the video of him going on about it with Justin Fields, where Fields seems to not give a shit and is giving him a "dude I'm trying to get some work done here" look at practice that the Bears had put out.

It was just goofy awkward forced conversation because he was mic'ed up. Mack even calls him out about being mic'ed up based on the goofy conversation. He goes on to talk about Ninja turtles, favorite colors, and a host of other conversations that the player seem to have zero interest in.

Waaaaay down the list of the current state of things in this country to get annoyed about.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The league let that trade go through. It would have been in their best interests to inform the Browns if they had already reached a, or were active in a, decision on Watson. The points of emphasis seem to be changing. I'll take all this all at face value.

People act like the league has something to gain by suspending players. They only lose. They just lose less by saving some face. They'd rather not need to.

I never claimed they reached a decision on Watson. I simply stated it was my opinion they had input in Houston's decision to sit Watson for a year and that Watson settled mainly so the NFL could move ahead in deciding his case.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Our vegan meals are mostly veg curries or stews, southeast Asian or African. There's variety in it and easy prep for the most part. Never been a fan of vegetarian or vegan dishes that are trying to be meat.
Name some places that are both vegan and a city in China! Who could we ask on here?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I never claimed they reached a decision on Watson. I simply stated it was my opinion they had input in Houston's decision to sit Watson for a year and that Watson settled mainly so the NFL could move ahead in deciding his case.
I'll accept an opinion but those aren't worth a lot of argument. I will that say I have never heard the time served argument used by either the NFLPA or Watson.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
This would have been a top tier unit if fangio never left
True. And I can't blame Vic for going for that payday grab while he could. Totally outmatched as a head coach, but I get the move. It's a shame.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'll accept an opinion but those aren't worth a lot of argument. I will that say I have never heard the time served argument used by either the NFLPA or Watson.

Well not sure we have ever had a situation where a player was treated like this. So I suspect if the NFL and Watson can't agree that is something for the arbitrator to look at ie was it truly the Texan's decision to rule him out of all 17 games this year despite him being 100% healthy or was this an accommodation the Texans made in consultation with the NFL so the NFL would not have to formally suspend him or put him on the commissioner's exempt list.

I also was not suggesting he would get off on time served. I was suggesting his lawyers may argue that any contemplated suspension consider he already sat out a year again under unique circumstances. So it was more like if the NFL is angling for 1 year or an indefinite suspension, the counter would be well if you suspend him 8 games, he would have effectively been out for pretty much 25 games in total.

This really is uncharted territory given how he was handled last year and I would expect his lawyers and the NFLPA to make that point. Now whether that is persuasive to the arbitrator is another matter.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
True. And I can't blame Vic for going for that payday grab while he could. Totally outmatched as a head coach, but I get the move. It's a shame.

Was he outmatched. Broncos don't seem to really believe that as while they fired him they also went out and got Wilson. Seems he was more a victim of Elway's shitty QB evaluation.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Was he outmatched. Broncos don't seem to really believe that as while they fired him they also went out and got Wilson. Seems he was more a victim of Elway's shitty QB evaluation.
QB situation didn't help, but his defenses were not good and his in-game coaching decisions lacked common sense. I know a few Broncos fans that wanted him gone after 2020.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, you intimated that he was already under an NFL suspension. He needs to get this over with simply to get this over with and be able to play again at some point, regardless of where the play limitations are coming from. I suspect the urgency is still there for him but that Browns contract may have relaxed his rush. That just seemed odd considering the circumstances. Probably a lot we don't know or they really jumped the gun here. You'd have thought that they'd at least consulted the league on Watson's disposition before that trade. From the news we're getting now, it appears more like they just they just rolled the dice on this but there's so much we don't know here.

Depositions or complaints are different than criminal proceedings and if these women are signing NDAs, they don't carry the weight of a conviction or even similar testimony in a trial as opposed to a deposition without any ability to corroborate. They can still be viewed as greedy, skanks by biased football fans. If he can prevent this from going to trial, he's simply much better off unless he's certain he can win the case(s).

Just read this. If true, it's rather damning to Watson and the Texans that would become part of the suit.

According to the report, Watson asked several of the therapists to sign an N.D.A. he received from a Texans staff member, and in his deposition he said the team arranged for some of the massages to happen at “a place” at The Houstonian, a hotel and spa in Houston. Per the Times, “he used the fitness club, dined there and also set up massages in hotel rooms.” May have something to do with why they wanted Watson out of the public eye and try to settle. Mud continues to thicken.

And it sounds like the NFL was trying to not throw Watson under the bus since their interview with victims seemed more like cross examinations.
Very thorough and well researched article. Not surprisingly it does not cast the league in a good light.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I believe he was. Watched every Broncos game and had all the extra insight living here. Really bad at situational football. The QBs were bad, no doubt, but he's not Head Coach material. There is a reason it took 30 years and his lack of a job certifies that in my mind.

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
lol I have gone pescatarian in the past, but never full vegetarian. I did have a girlfriend in college though that was a vegetarian and she farted during orgasm when I was going down on her. Kind of an embarrassing moment for both of us lol.

That's about as close to a reverse Blumpkin as you can get.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well not sure we have ever had a situation where a player was treated like this. So I suspect if the NFL and Watson can't agree that is something for the arbitrator to look at ie was it truly the Texan's decision to rule him out of all 17 games this year despite him being 100% healthy or was this an accommodation the Texans made in consultation with the NFL so the NFL would not have to formally suspend him or put him on the commissioner's exempt list.

I also was not suggesting he would get off on time served. I was suggesting his lawyers may argue that any contemplated suspension consider he already sat out a year again under unique circumstances. So it was more like if the NFL is angling for 1 year or an indefinite suspension, the counter would be well if you suspend him 8 games, he would have effectively been out for pretty much 25 games in total.

This really is uncharted territory given how he was handled last year and I would expect his lawyers and the NFLPA to make that point. Now whether that is persuasive to the arbitrator is another matter.
I think they are looking for 2 years and may settle on one for 'time served', even if it wasn't. Fricking lawyers make it difficult to know what's actually going on. I wouldn't be surprised if Watson's lawyers offers back that years pay so the league can rationalize it.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
QB situation didn't help, but his defenses were not good and his in-game coaching decisions lacked common sense. I know a few Broncos fans that wanted him gone after 2020.

10 teams will be running that D next year. Once they traded Miller that D really only had Chubb and Surtain. Given he doesnt blitz much, not going to work if you dont get a pass rush.

I believe he was. Watched every Broncos game and had all the extra insight living here. Really bad at situational football. The QBs were bad, no doubt, but he's not Head Coach material. There is a reason it took 30 years and his lack of a job certifies that in my mind.

Just about every fanbase thinks their coach sucks at situational football.

Also teams like the Niners wanted him but he chose to sit this year out.

Again his system is the most popular in the NFL with almost a 3rd of the NFL expected to run it next year.

Last edited: