hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Everyone keeps saying it was a reach should of waited until 13 but idt he would have been there at 13

Bottom line these guys were drafted to be developed and not thrown to the wolves. We won’t be seeing them for 3 years
With the players the Hawks let go in the draft these past few years, Bowen Byram for example, there will always be skepticism, Korcchinsky may or may not be a success, however since he was deemed a reach at 7, the pressure of another draft bust is on Davidson.

Granada

Liked Posts:
That depends, The Canadians are in rebuilding mode as well, he will be a third line Centermen with the capabilities to be a second. He was still a third overall pick with size, if he scores 20 for the Habs, I don’t see it as being a fleece.
Yeah it's not a fleece in my view either, at least not yet. They have a plan and I like it. Dach with Slavkosky. That's a clear vision: they want to build their team around size and skill. You can say what you want about them passing on Wright, but they have a vision, and they're sticking with it.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Yeah it's not a fleece in my view either, at least not yet. They have a plan and I like it. Dach with Slavkosky. That's a clear vision: they want to build their team around size and skill.
Habs fans have been bitching about the size of there players for years, Hughes definitely took that into consideration with acquiring Dach and drafting the big Finn at number 1.

Granada

Liked Posts:
LOL at all the cunting in this thread, it's not like we selected Bovquist (I hope) nor selected Dach over Byrum.

Embrace the suck, it is 100% necessary.
Well, that's somewhat arguable at this point. Letting Kasper go to Detroit at 8 does have the chance to be as much of a kick in the nuts. Just saying. One article had Kasper as the top European center prospect in this draft class.

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
This team is on the way to a total make over. The next 2 or 3 years are going to be brutal to watch but I hope it pays off in the end. As long as I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it gets brighter each year I'm ok with it.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Well, that's somewhat arguable at this point. Letting Kasper go to Detroit at 8 does have the chance to be as much of a kick in the nuts. Just saying. One article had Kasper as the top European center prospect in this draft class.
Listening to yzerman in am and he said kasper will be ready in a year. Really made it sound like what you see is what you get so not great upside. With us being five years out and wings in year 4 in a rebuild I see why we went for projects over the ready product

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This team is on the way to a total make over. The next 2 or 3 years are going to be brutal to watch but I hope it pays off in the end. As long as I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it gets brighter each year I'm ok with it.
The early and mid 2000's were brutal, but there was light at the end of the tunnel.

My take was we did what we needed to do, even though there was pains. We should have gotten a lot more from Debrincat. A lot. I felt this was a loss. However, I'm cautiously optimistic about Korchinski. His development stalled early because of the New Plague, but he seemed to come on late. Friends/family still in Seattle seem to be high on him. He does have an O-bias, but I think if the kid spends a couple of years developing properly and in the weight room he will be a nice big-bodied D-man who might compliment a guy like Jones well. Still, he should be a couple of years out which is fine, let him develop.

The trade for Dach in my estimation was a win. Dach may be young and might be able to improve, but his numbers are in the shitter and he took a step back. If we take the stance that he was mis-developed here and rushed, then flipping him for the 13th OA pick + a 2nd rounder? You make that move in a rebuild. For him we get Nazar. 5-10/180lbs might seem like a downgrade in size, but it's not like Dach was playing like Seabrook in his mean days (Wakey Wakey anyone?). Nazar might be able to use that low-center-of-gravity to his advantage, and in his case we can actually try to develop him properly instead of rushing him like we did Dach. Couple years out and at Michigan next season, so development is paramount.

I think weaponizing the capspace for Mrazik was a decent move. He likely won't be stealing wins like MAF, so all the better to command the tank next season. He should be a vet presence to mentor whomever the youngster is in net with him over the next couple of season, and can be dealt with easily enough if he is supplanted by a kid who actually shows promise. Taking Rinzel for the pick I think might pay dividends. Obviously he's young, but he might be a slightly younger version of Jiricek (who I was hoping would fall to 7th). Might need more seasoning but in this rebuild I'm okay with the long game. Like Korchinski, develop and hit the weights.

So overall I think we we did well enough. Not Wow'ed for good or bad. Now the clock starts on development.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Listening to yzerman in am and he said kasper will be ready in a year. Really made it sound like what you see is what you get so not great upside. With us being five years out and wings in year 4 in a rebuild I see why we went for projects over the ready product
Yeah, from what I'm hearing, Nazar has tremendous upside. I still would have preferred Geekie at 7 and Korchinski (or even Nazar?) at 13, but it is what it is.

Granada

Liked Posts:
The early and mid 2000's were brutal, but there was light at the end of the tunnel.

My take was we did what we needed to do, even though there was pains. We should have gotten a lot more from Debrincat. A lot. I felt this was a loss. However, I'm cautiously optimistic about Korchinski. His development stalled early because of the New Plague, but he seemed to come on late. Friends/family still in Seattle seem to be high on him. He does have an O-bias, but I think if the kid spends a couple of years developing properly and in the weight room he will be a nice big-bodied D-man who might compliment a guy like Jones well. Still, he should be a couple of years out which is fine, let him develop.

The trade for Dach in my estimation was a win. Dach may be young and might be able to improve, but his numbers are in the shitter and he took a step back. If we take the stance that he was mis-developed here and rushed, then flipping him for the 13th OA pick + a 2nd rounder? You make that move in a rebuild. For him we get Nazar. 5-10/180lbs might seem like a downgrade in size, but it's not like Dach was playing like Seabrook in his mean days (Wakey Wakey anyone?). Nazar might be able to use that low-center-of-gravity to his advantage, and in his case we can actually try to develop him properly instead of rushing him like we did Dach. Couple years out and at Michigan next season, so development is paramount.

I think weaponizing the capspace for Mrazik was a decent move. He likely won't be stealing wins like MAF, so all the better to command the tank next season. He should be a vet presence to mentor whomever the youngster is in net with him over the next couple of season, and can be dealt with easily enough if he is supplanted by a kid who actually shows promise. Taking Rinzel for the pick I think might pay dividends. Obviously he's young, but he might be a slightly younger version of Jiricek (who I was hoping would fall to 7th). Might need more seasoning but in this rebuild I'm okay with the long game. Like Korchinski, develop and hit the weights.

So overall I think we we did well enough. Not Wow'ed for good or bad. Now the clock starts on development.
I was fine with the Mrazek move. You need a competent starting goalie, even on a rebuild.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I was fine with the Mrazek move. You need a competent starting goalie, even on a rebuild.
Exactly. A competent starting goalie who will not steal that many games in a tank, but is good on the fundamentals to help the youth. I was hoping for someone like him in the offseason (I thought it might have been through the FA market), but he fits the bill nicely.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
6 picks in the next two rounds lots of prospects to load up on

Granada

Liked Posts:
Ryan Greene just picked, another center.

6'2" but only 179. At least he's got the height, he can always put on weight.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Davidson definitely going the North American route so far:

177Kevin KorchinskiDCAN6' 2"185WHLSEATTLE
11313Frank NazarCUSA5' 10"180NTDPUSA U-18
12525Sam RinzelDUSA6' 4"180HIGH-MNCHASKA
2739Paul LudwinskiCCAN5' 11"184OHLKINGSTON
22557Ryan GreeneCCAN6' 1"179USHLGREEN BAY
3166Gavin HayesLUSA6' 2"177OHLFLINT

Last edited by a moderator:

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Murphy 100%.

Dach you might find some team that would be stupid enough to think they can fix him
4.4M for 4 years for a 29yro,often injured average at best D-man coming off a real bad looking concussion who's never produced offense?
I believe a team could do considerably better signing one of many better/cheaper D-men on the UFA market w/o giving up anything.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Davidson definitely going the North American route so far:

177Kevin KorchinskiDCAN6' 2"185WHLSEATTLE
11313Frank NazarCUSA5' 10"180NTDPUSA U-18
12525Sam RinzelDUSA6' 4"180HIGH-MNCHASKA
2739Paul LudwinskiCCAN5' 11"184OHLKINGSTON
22557Ryan GreeneCCAN6' 1"179USHLGREEN BAY
3166Gavin HayesLUSA6' 2"177OHLFLINT
Noticed that also could just be a coincidence cause how draft fell but I hope they aren’t ignoring over seas talent

Last edited by a moderator:

Granada

Liked Posts:
Savoie sounds intriguing. Supposed to be an extremely physical player who hits first and asks questions later. I'll take that.