Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So because we have a substandard O line and group of receivers, we should not attempt to improve those positions with better players? That's definitely a recipe for ongoing failure.
If that's what you read, you're even dumber than you post.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wish we took him. But I also understand its a few days into camp...Camp hero's disappear all the time when the regular season starts.
I find it funny that we have a posts saying how well Pickens is doing and others about how poorly Mitch is doing. They're #1s on the same team, LOL.

napo55

Liked Posts:
If that's what you read, you're even dumber than you post.
Your point seemed to be that because the Bears passing game is so bad (compared to the Steelers) that drafting Pickens wouln't really accomplish much.
When a poster replies to a legitimate question with an insult, you know what you are dealing with, someone who can't respond with substance. . Not worth the time to communicate further.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Your point seemed to be that because the Bears passing game is so bad (compared to the Steelers) that drafting Pickens wouln't really accomplish much.
When a poster replies to a legitimate question with an insult, you know what you are dealing with, someone who can't respond with substance. . Not worth the time to communicate further.
Says the guy that offered zero substance in his earlier reply.

I never even implied that. Steelers have Mitch at QB so what would give you that assumption. Steelers have an established stable organization and culture that can more easily deal with a player that may not easily conform. I never even said the Bear shouldn't have taken Pickens because I liked him and would have also been happy with if they did. Just that I was good either way and understood. The other WRs and OL left in 2 were a noticeable step below Pickens and the players we chose there. Yes we really needed to improve the OL and WRs. Guess what? We also really needed to improve the secondary.

Now feel free to fuck off.

Last edited:

napo55

Liked Posts:
Says the guy that offered zero substance in his earlier reply.

I never even implied that. Steelers have Mitch at QB so what would give you that assumption. Steelers have an established stable organization and culture that can more easily deal with a player that may not easily conform. I never even said they shouldn't have taken Pickens because I liked him. Just that I was good either way and understood. The other WRs and OL left in 2 were a noticeable step below Pickens and the players we chose there. Yes we really needed to improve the OL and WRs. Guess what we also really needed to improve the secondary.

Now feel free to fuck off.
Sorry for your disability.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't recall anyone on this board questioning Pickens ability. Skinny guy with injury history and attitude concerns but dude can ball. Will be fun to watch and see if physical NFL corners can take him off his game once the pads come on.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I don't recall anyone on this board questioning Pickens ability. Skinny guy with injury history and attitude concerns but dude can ball. Will be fun to watch and see if physical NFL corners can take him off his game once the pads come on.

If Poles did draft Pickens and he then reaggravated his ACL, it would be funny reading all the comments questioning why Poles took a guy in the 2nd round with an injury risk. Kevin White 2.0! This board's memory is quite short.

napo55

Liked Posts:
If Poles did draft Pickens and he then reaggravated his ACL, it would be funny reading all the comments questioning why Poles took a guy in the 2nd round with an injury risk. Kevin White 2.0! This board's memory is quite short.
Here's my take. Justin Fields is the future of the Bears. He's got the physical ability and, importantly, the drive to be a leader and excell. That's outstanding, but I fear he will take chances and put his health in jeopardy. Therefore, I would have concentrated on WRs and the O line, even though we all agree the defense needs playmakers and the two DBs are good players..

If Fields goes down because he's trying to lead the team and make a play, the season is over.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Here's my take. Justin Fields is the future of the Bears. He's got the physical ability and, importantly, the drive to be a leader and excell. That's outstanding, but I fear he will take chances and put his health in jeopardy. Therefore, I would have concentrated on WRs and the O line, even though we all agree the dee needs playmakers and the two DBs are good players..

If Fields goes down because he's trying to lead the team and make a play, the season is over.

This is quite honestly one of the stupidest takes that I have ever read on here. So if the Bears had DK Metcalf, Fields would not try to make a play. I'm not sure if this is satire or just pure retardation.

napo55

Liked Posts:
This is quite honestly one of the stupidest takes that I have ever read on here. So if the Bears had DK Metcalf, Fields would not try to make a play. I'm not sure if this is satire or just pure retardation.
If the O line can't protect him and the WRs can't get open, Fields must either throw the ball away or try to stretch the play to make something happen. So building a good O line and a good set of receivers are important to his health. Remember, he has a tendency to hold the ball too long and has been injured multiple times in college and last year with the Bears.
Most WRs and O linemen take a couple of years to adapt to the pros, so waiting until next year to draft them, probably means they won't really excell until 2024 0r 2025 You also have to expect injuries to linemen and WRs, so depth is key. So it makes sense to start now addressing areas of weakness if you want Fields to stay healthy.
I understand people on this message board like to respond with insults. Hopefully, they will learn it's OK to disagree without them.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If the O line can't protect him and the WRs can't get open, Fields must either throw the ball away or try to stretch the play to make something happen. So building a good O line and a good set of receivers are important to his health. Remember, he has a tendency to hold the ball too long and has been injured multiple times in college and last year with the Bears.
Most WRs and O linemen take a couple of years to adapt to the pros, so waiting until next year to draft them, probably means they won't really excell until 2024 0r 2025 You also have to expect injuries to linemen and WRs, so depth is key. So it makes sense to start now addressing areas of weakness if you want Fields to stay healthy.
I understand people on this message board like to respond with insults. Hopefully, they will learn it's OK to disagree without them.

TL;DR

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's tunnel vision. You win by having the best players at positions you didn't before and you can't teach speed and twitch. OL is a position you can develop. We have 2 T drafted last year, 1 this plus a few inside guys. Vets to cover for this year while " O linemen take a couple of years to adapt to the pros". I personally don't take a guy on day 2 that I don't expect to significantly contribute until his 3rd year. Velus looks good and I certainly wasn't expecting Pickens to take a couple years to develop.

Do we need more players and depth? Sure, welcome to a rebuild but you don't build Rome in a day nor have longer term success by forcing positions instead of taking better players. That's for contenders trying to get over the hump. This defense was bottom 1/4 in turnovers the last 2 years and that's huge when it comes to actually winning games.

I understand wanting a guy like Pickens but his draft status fall had nothing to do with his chops. Deal with it. Patriots took Thornton ahead of him and Pierce and Moore were the next 2 picks. There's obviously no comparison in these players acumen but one fell for reasons other than that. Pickens, because he was off some boards in round 2 due to concerns beyond his physical skill set.

Hopefully that's enough text so everyone can actually understand what was said instead of using their jaundiced eye to assume the worst.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
That catch by Pickens was pretty good.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Fire Poles. He's had his chance. Failed.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Who cares? The bears are stacked at receiver and Fields is already the best QB in the league, who needs Pickens? Plus we got Kyle Gordon instead!

?

Clearly @Black Rainbow doesn't care since he said that pickens isn't worth being drafted by the bears.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Great adjustment by Pickens, but at the end of the day alot of his catches look "great" because he never has seperation and needs to make some spectacular adjustment to beat his defender. Lack of separation was always my #1 concern with him.