Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You can't tread water forever and water doesn't "bury" you. It's amazing this guy got a head coaching gig
Give him some slack. He just got done burying and watering his tomato seeds.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
i have to tell you, there was a highlight last week where he drove that ball to Kmet down the middle in between 2 guys and everyone was raving, I watched the highlight, he never even looked right at all and had ESB on a much easier pass, he seemed to have pre determined he was going to Kmet. i'm really not sure if guys who can "see the field" are just born with that trait or process faster or if it's something that can be developed or improved but clearly he's a work in progress at the early stages....the question i have, what if the defense gets good, is being a great athlete with lackluster field vision good enough to get you into a deep playoff run....i have no idea
Biggest concern is still him seeing the entire field but that rarely comes quickly.

SweetHomeChicago

I have a Senior Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
And the Bears will cycle through 2 more QB's, each time claiming "Finally, the Bears have a franchise QB".
Your team had a franchise QB but your sorry ass organization couldn't win one playoff game with him.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Your team had a franchise QB but your sorry ass organization couldn't win one playoff game with him.
Your team had an elite defense and couldn't win one playoff game against a wild card team in which it was a former Lions player that beat you.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Biggest concern is still him seeing the entire field but that rarely comes quickly.
Have to disagree with that. Seems like lately QBs either have it or they don’t. Herbert, Mahomes, Burrow, Prescott, Jones all were good at that from day 1. I know everyone talks about Allen but that seems to be rarer to me. (A guy taking three years to blossom)

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Have to disagree with that. Seems like lately QBs either have it or they don’t. Herbert, Mahomes, Burrow, Prescott, Jones all were good at that from day 1. I know everyone talks about Allen but that seems to be rarer to me. (A guy taking three years to blossom)
I honestly don't know that mahomes was good at reading the defense from day 1. I think Reid made the offense as qb friendly as possible and he had incredible talent around him which always makes it easier.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I honestly don't know that mahomes was good at reading the defense from day 1. I think Reid made the offense as qb friendly as possible and he had incredible talent around him which always makes it easier.
Are you really trying to tell me that a guy who threw for 5,000 yards and 50 YDs his first full season wasn’t good at reading defenses?

I mean you know I love ya man but I have to strongly disagree with you on this one.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Are you really trying to tell me that a guy who threw for 5,000 yards and 50 YDs his first full season wasn’t good at reading defenses?

I mean you know I love ya man but I have to strongly disagree with you on this one.
That was Mahomes 2nd year in the same system with the same top receivers. He sat most all his rookie year. This is Fields 2nd year, but first in a legit NFL scheme, and with almost all new receiving targets. I have the same concerns about Fields as you, but let’s not blow them out of proportion trying to make a point…

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

He openly said he didn't learn to read defenses until year 3 I believe. I do believe it. Reid has always made his qbs perform significantly better and the talent was incredible. The % of his targets going to hill and kelce was high for good reason. I'm not shitting on mahomes either. He's elite. But I think you can be extremely successful by being put in good situations even before you may be 100% ready to read defenses

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
That was Mahomes 2nd year in the same system with the same top receivers. He sat most all his rookie year. This is Fields 2nd year, but first in a legit NFL scheme, and with almost all new receiving targets. I have the same concerns about Fields as you, but let’s not blow them out of proportion trying to make a point…
LOL. Is there a “defend Justin” hotline for you?

mikeyk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
we will win the war of attrition by enduring physical exhaustion until our opponent crumbles under their own lack of conditioning.
We will construct a series of breathing apparatus with kelp. We will be able to trap certain amounts of oxygen. It's not gonna be days at a time. An hour? Hour forty-five? No problem. That will give us enough time to figure out where you live, go back to the sea, get some more oxygen, and stalk you. You just lost at your own game. You're outgunned and out-manned.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He openly said he didn't learn to read defenses until year 3 I believe. I do believe it. Reid has always made his qbs perform significantly better and the talent was incredible. The % of his targets going to hill and kelce was high for good reason. I'm not shitting on mahomes either. He's elite. But I think you can be extremely successful by being put in good situations even before you may be 100% ready to read defenses

That just tells me he got better in year three which makes sense after a full season starting. But under no circumstance do I think he actually didn’t know how to do it at a high level. You don’t get 5000 and 50 any other way. His standards are just insanely high because he’s that good. So yeah I can see him thinking in year three oh now I know who to do this when all along he was still great at it.

But anyways. Agree to disagree on this one. I do agree all that talent and having Reid of course does help.

My bigger point is I don’t want to be sitting on Fields in year 4 going “maybe this is the year” like we did for Mitch. I’m on the “show me this year” or draft another QB train.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Burrow took a year and was questioned his 2nd preseason before the light went on. Mahomes sat a year. Did Allen have it?
You can name as more HOF QBs with not great 1st years than those that did have them. Yes, It's a different era etc but they're individuals with different growing curves. By your definition, Fields is already a bust.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sorry but not gonna go back and forth with you for 20 pages like you love to do so you'll have to find someone else to talk stats with.

Nothing to go back and forth about. I am correct. You just sent me a GIF. Think you confusing the fact you may have told someone else it was a joke.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
My bigger point is I don’t want to be sitting on Fields in year 4 going “maybe this is the year” like we did for Mitch. I’m on the “show me this year” or draft another QB train.
As I said, I agree with you on this.

I’m not looking at merely stats though to show it…

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Kyler Gordon isn't seriously hurt. Something that wasn't so clear a few months ago when he was missing OTA's.
The Bears are clearly not trading Robert Quinn, who is by a margin their best defensive player.
Jaylon Johnson got off to a rough start with this coach but seems to have come around.
I haven't heard much about Eddie Jackson pissing anyone off by half-assing it, no news is good news on that front I'd reckon.

So yeah, these were some question marks that aren't big worries anymore. It's got nothing to do with clowning on the Bears offense every day in practice.
So the CB1 everyone knew was going to be the CB1 is still the CB1.
The rookie CB who had zero reports of missing significant time isn't missing significant time.

Multiple projected starting OL hurt, the WRs are every bit as shaky as everyone thought and the QB isn't progressing.

Not sure how this leads to being better than you thought but hey, nothing wrong with being optimistic. Im sure this isn't at all a setup into blaming the one person we all know you're going to blame anyways.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Mahomes said so himself

If your first read is typically open and you can extend plays to give you more time to find an open guy, you can still put up big numbers without being great at reading defenses.

Last edited: