Love Animals

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Driving home the other night on dark, empty back road.
Thought I saw someone walking on the right side of the road.
It was in a sense.
Goddamn horse!
Nightly deer dodge is bad enough but I gotta fucking deal with livestock too!?
What could be next? Gazelle? Zebra? Giraffe?

I'm glad I didn't hit the horse and hope it made it's way back to a stable life.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Damn it. Just saw that and was going to post that story. Crazy fucks in that town will be drinking and hunting emus tonight. What town do you live in? Not long ago you posted Rantucky so you know the special places nearby.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
FTR I managed to release 5 spiders I raised to adulthood, out into my surrounding foliage.

I am finding more spider webs, far fewer pests.

I had ants early in the Spring and actually accidentally killed a freelancer who had taken up residence somewhere near my front door and was hunting the ants.

I really think this is a more effective method of reasonable pest control.

I know people hate spiders, but if you can get over it, they try to stay out of sight and they eat up all the stuff you don't want ruining your stuff.

Capturing one pregnant female in Fall, bringing her into a covered garage where she can nest and lay down her eggs, and then allowing the subsequent sack to overwinter there and hatch/disperse in the Spring might end up being on par with Ortho Home Defense in terms of QoL goal.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
FTR I managed to release 5 spiders I raised to adulthood, out into my surrounding foliage.

I am finding more spider webs, far fewer pests.

I had ants early in the Spring and actually accidentally killed a freelancer who had taken up residence somewhere near my front door and was hunting the ants.

I really think this is a more effective method of reasonable pest control.

I know people hate spiders, but if you can get over it, they try to stay out of sight and they eat up all the stuff you don't want ruining your stuff.

Capturing one pregnant female in Fall, bringing her into a covered garage where she can nest and lay down her eggs, and then allowing the subsequent sack to overwinter there and hatch/disperse in the Spring might end up being on par with Ortho Home Defense in terms of QoL goal.
That's cool. I have a pharaoh ant colony at my house. They often invade and drive me nuts. I wasn't aware any spiders kill ants. Do you know of any names? Maybe I could order some. I like the idea of using spiders as pest control over poisons. I had tried the borax/peanutbutter in cut straws trick many times. But it's never worked on this colony.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That's cool. I have a pharaoh ant colony at my house. They often invade and drive me nuts. I wasn't aware any spiders kill ants. Do you know of any names? Maybe I could order some. I like the idea of using spiders as pest control over poisons. I had tried the borax/peanutbutter in cut straws trick many times. But it's never worked on this colony.

Agelenopsis aka Grass Spiders aka Funnel Web spiders, is what I ended up capturing and raising/releasing.

If spiders are hungry they'll eat almost any insect.

I also found a really large red house spider the other day, moved it to a corner outside where it can do its work.

I figure any funnel weaver is going to weave silk webs in the cracks and either catch the pests or at least block access.

I found 4 distinct funnel webs on the bushes in front of my house and I can catch views of (hopefully my) spiders at the entrance, lying in wait for prey.

Last year I only saw that one which I captured and then raised her spiderlings after she passed.

Even big spiders just make me happy now, I just scoop em up in a plastic cup with a plastic spoon and find them a nice spot to setup a new web.

I may need one of those Goliath Birdeaters to get rid of fisch tho....