BREAKING NEWS: Roquan Smith Wants OUT!

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Yes. Mooney would be the next to try it. On a good team, he's nothing more that a decent #2. He doesn't scare a defense.
I think Mooney is betting on himself this year. If he puts up a great season, he’ll be in line for a big deal. One the Bears would be wise to pay for a change.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
DT's are more responsible for bad run defense than LB'ers are
In a vacuum yes. But when there are deficiencies at LB they stand out. Bostic was always slow at reading his keys. I made threads about it illustrating this over and over. He tried to make up with athletic ability but would often get swallowed up or caught in the wash. Rarely in good position at or around the mesh point.

There are some seriously comical gifs floating around of him out there.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
So what if they play hardball with some? Doesn’t everyone (except the Jaguars).

I honestly don’t get the “just pay him” crowd. You start caving now and every player will know all they have to do is have a media hissy fit and the Bears will give you what you want.
If he is looking for $20M, he just hasn't been that guy. He is more a Mr. Reliable than MR. Game Changer. He is a sound ILB that will make very few mistakes, very few missed tackles, but also very few big moment plays. Plus he is playing a position that is becoming the RB of the defense.

freddylamar

Liked Posts:
I can’t lie, I’m losing faith in Poles right now. I’ve been trying to buy in to his vision of tear it down and rebuild but it’s beginning to look like he’s in over his head. Failing to build around a round QB with loads of potential. Leaving our O line to a bunch of scrubs to protect Fields. No WR. Now treating our defensive captain like this. I want to believe in this new front office but it’s hard to look at the team he has assembled and think we have gotten better. Damn shame.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
If he is looking for $20M, he just hasn't been that guy. He is more a Mr. Reliable than MR. Game Changer. He is a sound ILB that will make very few mistakes, very few missed tackles, but also very few big moment plays. Plus he is playing a position that is becoming the RB of the defense.
Not disagreeing with you but the lack of big moment plays, is that due to his playing style or the defensive system he has been in? Im torn with this one. I think he deserves the money and can help a team win a Super Bowl. But, is it worth paying him that money when the Bears might not compete for a few more years.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Your reading comprehension sucks. I have stated multiple times that it's good for the player to get what they can get. I don't fault them. I DID SAY that I have no sympathy for them when they don't get what they want. I also don't want my team to overpay for a guy when there are so many holes to fill in an offensive league. Please show me where I said I was mad or irked that players try to get what they feel they deserve.

I care that the Bears could make another mistake by overpaying. I don't care if Smith gets his money. Get what you can get and go to the highest bidder. I have always said these guys are paid mercenaries, and regardless of what they say publicly, all they really care about it the paycheck. I don't blame them and I'm not mad about it. It's a business and entertainment. It has no effect on my life.

And yet, all you've done is trivialize the work and effort that most of these guys have put in as "working out, eating right, and playing a game." You're ready to ditch the best player they have for peanuts because he's "whining" about getting paid.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
In a vacuum yes. But when there are deficiencies at LB they stand out. Bostic was always slow at reading his keys. I made threads about it illustrating this over and over. He tried to make up with athletic ability but would often get swallowed up or caught in the wash. Rarely in good position at or around the mesh point.

There are some seriously comical gifs floating around of him out there.

Bostic was so terrible. I remember reading his draft profile and it said "struggles to turn his hips and run with pass catchers" and that his projected round was 4th or later. Just another bad Bears GM making terrible picks. Lol

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Better to pay guys an amount you feel comfortable paying them. In the end you will be judged by wins and losses.
You think his market rate will go down next year? If so your delusional. hell, if I am the lions, I would tell the Bears to pay his 2022 salary and toss cry baby jenkins in for the Rams #1 2023.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
And yet, all you've done is trivialize the work and effort that most of these guys have put in as "working out, eating right, and playing a game." You're ready to ditch the best player they have for peanuts because he's "whining" about getting paid.
Allot of people don’t mind wasting their whole Sunday watching a perennial loser.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:

My opinion. You have your opinion. I guess maybe I shouldn't say whining. To better summarize how I feel, I don't get mad one way or the other when millionaires argue with billionaires about money. However it turns out is however it turns out. My feelings about it end with how it affects my team. I just don't want the Bears to overpay for a player that isn't a game changer just because good player on a bad team. Good for whoever gets their way. I'm not mad one way or the other.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So what if they play hardball with some? Doesn’t everyone (except the Jaguars).

I honestly don’t get the “just pay him” crowd. You start caving now and every player will know all they have to do is have a media hissy fit and the Bears will give you what you want.

You said they always pay players so was just pointing out no they don't.

I did not say just pay him. I said pay him on trade him as makes no sense to carry a disgruntled player on a shitty team only to potentially lose him for free next year.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He would likely garner a 3rd rnd comp pick. If he didn't than that means he wasn't worth what he is likely asking for.

No he won't because with 100m to spend we likely will sign more comp eligible players than we lose.

We didn't get comp picks this year with only like 30m in cap space.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You said they always pay players so was just pointing out no they don't.

I did not say just pay him. I said pay him on trade him as makes no sense to carry a disgruntled player on a shitty team only to potentially lose him for free next year.

This is word for word what I said:

“They usually take care of players well.”

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You think his market rate will go down next year? If so your delusional. hell, if I am the lions, I would tell the Bears to pay his 2022 salary and toss cry baby jenkins in for the Rams #1 2023.

Nowhere did I say that so no idea what point are you trying to make.

Major Ursa

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Utah State Aggies
I'm on Roquan's side on this one. It's nice to imagine all that cap space next year, but who are you going to give the money to? Roquan is young and has been a great player for the team. If Fields pans out, obviously you are going to need to have money for a ridiculous QB contract, but that is still a few seasons away. For those that are concerned about setting a precedence, you also don't want to be the team that looks like they are cheap and unreasonable.