What do you think he’s worth?

Is there a price that’s too much?
(If he’s, how much is it)

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The top dollar I would spend on him is $20 mil a year, but that doesn’t mean I’d necessarily give it to him.

Yeah that’s absolutely my max too and that’s frankly an overpay IMO. Don’t think he’s worth over 17. But if you have to do 20 then maybe….

Anything more is insane.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'd like to see the system and how important he is in that role before I say anything.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
It’s hard to say when we really don’t see what the identity of this team is going to be yet. But @BaBaBlacksheep had a 2023 free agency thread go look at those names. Who on there are we going to miss out on if we sign smith to 18-22 mil a year? And that list is going to shrink by the offseason.

Another thing would smith take a 3 year deal vs a 5 year deal? Metcalf and deebo did so they can get another contract in before they fall apart. That might be best for both smith and bears

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Yeah that’s absolutely my max too and that’s frankly an overpay IMO. Don’t think he’s worth over 17. But if you have to do 20 then maybe….

Anything more is insane.
Yeah I agree. I think it comes down to what type of compensation you can get for Smith in a trade. If the return in the trade is poor than paying the $20 mil a year is worth it. Especially with their cap situation next season.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Why would you pay Johnson and Mooney potential huge money over Smith?
There's actually a lot of reasons, but the two big ones are positional value and getting to see them for a season in this system with this coaching staff in place. Setting aside the money right now to pay them later is that its a zero-risk move, if they prove that they're not worthy of the money the Bears retain the flexibility.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How does Quan even look in this defense? We know how he looks in the 3-4 but not this Tampa 2 style we have now

75-80% of the time Quan was in nickel doing the same things he will be asked to do now just in different proportions.

As for the other 20-25%, he is the prototypical 4-3 LB ie slighly undersized with good speed and coverage ability?

oso4lyf

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Miami Hurricanes
I was reading he turned $19 a year down. Don't know how accurate that is, though.

tcmtrinity

Liked Posts:
He'll probably get close to $20M per from someone, but I don't see the Bears putting that value on him. Hopefully Poles is smarter than that.

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
20 million is overpriced for an WLB. Let him play in the system this year and go from there.