Colin Cowherd said trade Roquan and get back to the future

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It would all depend on what we get. Seattle will be bad to mediocre this year so a first or second imo would be great in return

Liked Posts:
I get what he’s saying, but given how much cap room the bears have and a full set of picks next year, they can still go “all in” on offense while holding onto defensive talent.

You trade Roquan if his situation is irreparable. If they can agree on a reasonable contract, I don’t think getting *at best* a 2nd rounder is worth it.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
As much as I enjoy listening to Cowherd, I think he and the overall media are overly pessimistic on the Bears this upcoming season. Many are projecting the Bears to have the 1st overall pick.

But many are missing the doable schedule. The nice additions of Brisker, Gordon, Braxton Jones, etc. We have some nice budding guys in Mooney and Kmet. Some decent defensive pieces.

All that to say, the media thinks we are a dumpster fire and are so far away from being competitive that we need to get rid of our best player. I'd argue not so fast. We have plenty of cap space moving forward. I like our GMs scouting abilities. Getting rid of Roquan isn't making this team any better. We will only attempt to replace him. We should be looking to give him a nice counterpart, not replace him.

There are no receivers available whether we keep Roquan or get rid of him. It's not changing anything.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Set a precedent and start fining him!

Roquan is probably out of shape too bc he looks like it, I may be wrong but this has been an issue going into each season.

Tell him like a man “sorry bud, didnt draft you and certainly wouldn’t have at number 8 in the draft bc unfortunately, your position isn’t worth the capital that it will cost come new contract time, Sorry, but that’s the way it is in this business and it may seem harsh and bc you don’t have an agent- I’m telling you what I would tell them!”

“we are going to start dining you bc your contract expectations are insane!”

“Oh, forget that last contract offer as it is dwindling every day! Plus the fines!”

This is the big leagues and Poles needs and probably does have the balls to act like it unlike Pace who kicked this shit to the future bc he knew he fucked up with drafting him so soon and wouldn’t want to or be able to afford anywhere near his new contract wants!

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
If JF seems like the guy we all want him to be there is nothing I'd love more than for the offense to get another first round pick.

We won zero playoff games with Mack and haven't won shit in 37 years. I don't care if Roquan is topl five. Peace the F out.

Last edited:

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I agree to an extent.

If we can't get him signed, and he does actually want 22 mil per season, get the most for him that you can. If someone traded us a very good LT or WR, that would be great. A 1st round pick on a middling to bad team would be great, too. Trading him for a 2nd round pick or lower significantly reduces my desire, and any urgency at all to trade him.

This doesn't need to be resolved right away. I like the approach that Poles is taking. So far, he hasn't done anything stupid or rash. I think that's more than you can say for Saint Omni, I mean, Roquan Smith.

Reactions: Myk

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I get what he’s saying, but given how much cap room the bears have and a full set of picks next year, they can still go “all in” on offense while holding onto defensive talent.

You trade Roquan if his situation is irreparable. If they can agree on a reasonable contract, I don’t think getting *at best* a 2nd rounder is worth it.

So in Fields' 3rd year you want to go all in on positions that are going to take 2 years to know if they're any good?
Makes perfect sense if you've already given up on Fields and are just playing for picks the rest of Fields' contract in Chicago and what you want to draft next year is to be in place for Fields' replacement, which isn't a completely bad thought because we do need to consider that before we ruin the next QB.

Ideally for me a Smith trade is for an equal talent at WR. The problem there is I have my doubts if the Bears will pay a WR that talented. Picks are just if we can't get rid of him otherwise because he's already destroyed his trade value.

We really need to get out of this mindset that defense wins championships. Even if Papa Bear said that he didn't practice it to the exclusion of offense and it is not true any more and hasn't been for a long time. You have to get to the championships to win. The other defensive teams that have been there do not ignore offense like the Bears do.

I agree to an extent.

If we can't get him signed, and he does actually want 22 mil per season, get the most for him that you can. If someone traded us a very good LT or WR, that would be great. A 1st round pick on a middling to bad team would be great, too. Trading him for a 2nd round pick or lower significantly reduces my desire, and any urgency at all to trade him.

This doesn't need to be resolved right away. I like the approach that Poles is taking. So far, he hasn't done anything stupid or rash. I think that's more than you can say for Saint Omni, I mean, Roquan Smith.

A 3rd was my line that wouldn't be met, if that's the best we can do force him to play until tagging isn't worth it. Even a 2nd I'd expect more.
I'd rather he hadn't destroyed his value and we got a 1st or more but I think GMs see what I see. He wants too much money, he jumps at the chance to not take part in the off season and he's not that one defensive player that pushes you over the edge. I don't expect we'll get a package like we gave for Mack.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Roquan has zero leverage

Bears have all the leverage over Roquan but any team wanting to trade for him has the leverage over the Bears bc of all this Roquan. Crap.

So, Roquan has spent so much more money by trying to be his own agent. Dumb move

mecha

Liked Posts:
If JF seems like the guy we all want him to be there is nothing I'd love more than for the offense to get another first round pick.

We won zero games with Mack and haven't won shit in 37 years. I don't care if Roquan is topl five. Peace the F out.
that Mack trade makes my dick hurt in retrospect.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Set a precedent and start fining him!

Roquan is probably out of shape too bc he looks like it, I may be wrong but this has been an issue going into each season.

Tell him like a man “sorry bud, didnt draft you and certainly wouldn’t have at number 8 in the draft bc unfortunately, your position isn’t worth the capital that it will cost come new contract time, Sorry, but that’s the way it is in this business and it may seem harsh and bc you don’t have an agent- I’m telling you what I would tell them!”

“we are going to start dining you bc your contract expectations are insane!”

“Oh, forget that last contract offer as it is dwindling every day! Plus the fines!”

This is the big leagues and Poles needs and probably does have the balls to act like it unlike Pace who kicked this shit to the future bc he knew he fucked up with drafting him so soon and wouldn’t want to or be able to afford anywhere near his new contract wants!
I'm not to worried about his shape. He starts every season with an extra 10-15 pounds or so to help maintain it during the season. I'm more concerned about game shape and his body not used to getting knocked around.