Mike Martz says mean things about the Bears and Justin Fields. (Non football talk OK. This may not be a safe thread)

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Aaron Rodgers, obviously, is No. 1, then Kirk Cousins. I’m a big Cousins fan. … He’s very consistent. He’s very coachable.

I watched him as a rookie. In fact, when I was working at Fox Sports, we did his first start against Cleveland. He was a really good player, and I like him. I think they can win a championship with him. Is he a great player? No, he’s a very good player.

Third would be Detroit’s Jared Goff, who is a subject to the talent around him. But he is a long-stroke guy. In other words, it takes a little bit longer for him than it does for other quarterbacks to get the ball up, but he’s won before and he’s proved he can win.

Then there’s Chicago’s Justin Fields. Fields is a guy that makes a lot of mistakes and is not particularly accurate at times. He’s not a quick read-and-react guy, and he’s on a horrendous team. But I don’t know if I’ve seen an offense that bad in talent since the 0-16 Detroit Lions (in 2008). They just don’t have anybody there. … It’s a bad football team right now.

So, it’s an easy stack for me: Rodgers, Cousins, Goff, Fields.

It’s going to be a rough career for (Fields) there. And I’ve seen a lot of really good players go to bad teams, and then their career just never takes off, and I think that’s what will happen with Fields.

It’s going to take a long time for them to get talent there. He needs to be on a good football team behind really good players for a couple of years to learn how to play the position.

And, when you put a guy behind a bad offensive line and you have no talent at wide receiver and you tell him to just go make big plays, he’s going to learn bad habits. You start doing stupid stuff just trying to survive.

When Steve Young got to Tampa, that happened to him. He goes to San Francisco, and he’s now in the Hall of Fame. I’m not comparing Fields to Steve, but that’s just the situation, the scenario that he’s in.

I also have questions about whether he can really react fast. I think he’s a talented guy as a passer, but you don’t know how to evaluate him because he just doesn’t have anything around him.

And they were so bad coaching-wise. The head coach there (Matt Nagy) didn’t know what he wanted to do with him. It’s a no-win situation, and I feel bad for the kid. He needs to be on a good team where he can back somebody up for a year or two.

If he got to someplace like San Francisco, maybe it would work out for him, but I don’t see it working out at all in Chicago.

Last edited:

ChicagoBearsSinceBirth

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I just posted this before ya but yeah I seen this... the Media are trashing the bears and fields and even ex bear's I hope Luke Getsy can turn this offense around and change the bears future and help Fields become what he should become... it's pretty sad too think that the media doesnt believe a team can be built up around a young guy to be good with the right coaches and players lets hope they can.

Liked Posts:
It's not an unfair assessment. Regardless, Fields can prove all the critics wrong, he certainly has the talent to do so.

All the greats either had to overcome challenges or had it in them to overcome them. If Fields has greatness in him, the situation that he's in isn't insurmountable.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I just posted this before ya but yeah I seen this... the Media are trashing the bears and fields and even ex bear's I hope Luke Getsy can turn this offense around and change the bears future and help Fields become what he should become... it's pretty sad too think that the media doesnt believe a team can be built up around a young guy to be good with the right coaches and players lets hope they can.

Actually this is not “the media” but a former Super Bowl winning coach. So I understand why people dont like him after his disaster in Chicago… but lets at least label him correctly. Thanks!