Tracking Bears season numbers

Toast88

Liked Posts:
We'll continue to track all this stuff all season.

Post Game 1:

Justin Fields - 121 passing yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT.

Fields can reach 3,800 passing yards by averaging 230 yards per game from here on out. He can reach 4,000 passing yards by averaging 243 yards per game from here on out.

Fields is currently on track for 30+ touchdowns and a 2-to-1 TD-to-INT ratio.

David Montgomery - 26 yards on 17 rushing attempts, for a clip of 1.5 yards per carry.
Khalil Herbert - 45 yards on 9 rushing attempts, for an average of 5 yards per carry.

Montgomery can reach 1,000 rushing yards by averaging 61 yards per game from here on out.
Herbert can reach 1,000 rushing yards by averaging 60 yards per game from here on out.

Dante Pettis is your leading receiver, at 51 yards on 1 catch.
David Montgomery had 24 yards on 3 catches.
Byron Pringle had 22 yards on 1 catch.
EQ had 18 yards on 1 catch.
Darnell Mooney had 8 yards on 1 catch.

As expected after one game, all Bears receivers are 60-62 yards per game from here on out away from gathering 1,000 receiving yards on the season.

Dud of the game: TE Cole Kmet with 0 yards on 0 catches; 1 target.

Roquan Smith, Dominique Robinson, Kindle Vildor and Nicholas Morrow all had at least 5 tackles.

Roquan is the leader with 9, which would put him on pace for 153 tackles on the year, which would put him just under his 2021 total, when he finished in the top 5 in that category.

Dominique Robinson had 1.5 sacks in his rookie debut. Good work!

1 TFL each for Kyler Gordon, Jaquan Brisker, Jaylon Johnson and Dominique Robinson.

1 fumble recovery by Jaquan Brisker.

1 interception for Eddie Jackson.

Trenton Gill 6 punts for 277 yards. He's on pace for over 4,700 yards punting. Impressive!

204 total yards for the Bears.

15 first downs on 56 offensive plays. That comes out to 3.6 yards per play.

How did they get those first 15 first downs?:
Passing - 4
Rushing - 6
Penalties - 5
(Being the more disciplined team paid off.)

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Was anyone impressed with Getsy yesterday? Is he Dowell Loggains 2.0?

I don't know if I can sit thru another year of anemic offense. The run blocking and Monty looked bad. Everything I read hinted that Getsy wanted to establish the run to take pressure off Fields.

I know these boards like to go back and forth with whose fault it is....coaches, qb, wrs...etc. But I got a bad feeling they are all bad. Perhaps the sports media was right about us having the absolute worst roster in the league. Like...it's not about getting this guy help or that guy help....they all suck. ?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

I don't know if I can sit thru another year of anemic offense. The run blocking and Monty looked bad. Everything I read hinted that Getsy wanted to establish the run to take pressure off Fields.

I know these boards like to go back and forth with whose fault it is....coaches, qb, wrs...etc. But I got a bad feeling they are all bad. Perhaps the sports media was right about us having the absolute worst roster in the league. Like...it's not about getting this guy help or that guy help....they all suck. ?
I think I speak for all of CCS in saying there is no way you should.

Toast88

Liked Posts:

The second half win is covering a lot of warts, to be sure. The offensive line looks absolutely putrid, and the playcalling the vast majority of the game was baffling.

The Bears took advantage of the 9ers' penchant for penalties, and a broken play. Unlike some, I don't see this win as some sort of Eberflus/Getsy vindication. We still saw **very little** of what they swore over the offseason they were going to do a lot more of---moving the pocket, calling play-action and utilizing plays specific to exploiting Justin Fields' skillset.

^^^^^^We still haven't seen hardly any of that. The EQ pass play was a very good play design by Getsy. But other than that, the only success the Bears had on offense was from San Francisco breakdowns. The Bears cannot keep having Fields just drop straight back and pass from the pocket like they have an O-Line that's worth a damn. That is not going to work.

I'm not condemning anybody, and I'm not unhappy with the win. But the warts are the warts, and they're still there. We'll see how they do going forward.

I'm more encouraged by the abstract things that we can't really measure. They did what they had to do to beat a team that's better than them. That's worth something. What's it worth exactly? We don't know yet.

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
@Toast88 please change the subject to FTO to avoid a certain poster from turning this into a thread about himself.

There is a lot of work to do. I know that I have went back and forth with someone (@dentfan) maybe on Monty's first step being slow af. Well, the ypc say I was right. I love Monty as a receiver or in space but he is so slow to get to the los.

Also, noted they went a lot from under center in the second half and that got them going. I suspect that will be cadence going forward to 1) help Jones and take some pressure off Fields.

EDIT: Jenkins looked really good in the second half imo.

EDIT EDIT: Jones looked really bad in the first half.

Last edited:

dennehy

Liked Posts:
There were a lot of good offenses that struggled yesterday, in good weather and against worse defenses than SF. Obviously the weather limited quite a bit.

Rodgers, Prescott, Burrow, Stafford were all very bad.

There's gonna be a curve, as there is for every offense. Fields has barely played with most of these pass catchers, the OL is very young. One thing we saw was that they played disciplined football, didn't give up, and got better as the day went on on both sides of the ball. Was an impressive first game imo.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
There were a lot of good offenses that struggled yesterday, in good weather and against worse defenses than SF. Obviously the weather limited quite a bit.

Rodgers, Prescott, Burrow, Stafford were all very bad.

There's gonna be a curve, as there is for every offense. Fields has barely played with most of these pass catchers, the OL is very young. One thing we saw was that they played disciplined football, didn't give up, and got better as the day went on on both sides of the ball. Was an impressive first game imo.
yep if by week 5-6 we are seeing this type of inconsistent play between halves I will be officially worried.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
yep if by week 5-6 we are seeing this type of inconsistent play between halves I will be officially worried.
After GB they've got Texans, NYG, and Washington in 3 outta 4 games. That's where the direction of the team should be obvious. If the offense can't put up decent numbers there...I'd be worried.

I don't care how much cap space we have next year. If you can't get anything out of Fields, Kmet, Mooney we're in for some rough years.

Beast15

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

FWIW, that was one of the best Defensive lines they will face all year. I concur, it was ugly

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
After GB they've got Texans, NYG, and Washington in 3 outta 4 games. That's where the direction of the team should be obvious. If the offense can't put up decent numbers there...I'd be worried.

I don't care how much cap space we have next year. If you can't get anything out of Fields, Kmet, Mooney we're in for some rough years.
@Beast15 , @sevvy and others have pointed out, the SF defense is no joke. I still think Fields is going to be a stud, I think Mooney's ceiling is 1,000 - ish yards and 3-4 TDs. Kmet needs to show me something, anything. For as big a guy as he is, he is slow af it takes him like 20 seconds to get open., I wouldn't necessarily say he sucks because he can do some things once you get him the football. They have 0 game changers though, how do you not see this ?

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll reserve judgement on the Offense until they play on a dry field. I think they will still struggle, but it won't look as putrid as it did in the first half.

If the team plays this disciplined the entire year, they will be difficult to beat (especially with their schedule). Even when they are out matched in talent. Expect a middle of the pack ranking and draft pick by the end of the year.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
There are also tons of games in the NFL where an offense is bad in the first half and then puts up 20+ in the second half or vice versa because offense is based in rhythm and momentum.

I don't think many people thought the Bears' offense would score three TDs against this defense even with optimal weather. If they look this bad for several first halves or a whole game, then I'd be worried. But there's no sample size here nor were the conditions close to normal.

buckaroo2311

Liked Posts:
Dallas had I believe the best offense in the league last year and put up 3 points while having 244 total yards. Even Brady didn't have a stellar first game throwing for 212 yards 1 TD, 1 Int. Prescott threw for 134 yards 0 TDs and 1 Int. Given the conditions/youth and obvious lack of total talent. I thought this team did an incredible job against that 49er defense.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
The second half win is covering a lot of warts, to be sure. The offensive line looks absolutely putrid, and the playcalling the vast majority of the game was baffling.

The Bears took advantage of the 9ers' penchant for penalties, and a broken play. Unlike some, I don't see this win as some sort of Eberflus/Getsy vindication. We still saw **very little** of what they swore over the offseason they were going to do a lot more of---moving the pocket, calling play-action and utilizing plays specific to exploiting Justin Fields' skillset.

^^^^^^We still haven't seen hardly any of that. The EQ pass play was a very good play design by Getsy. But other than that, the only success the Bears had on offense was from San Francisco breakdowns. The Bears cannot keep having Fields just drop straight back and pass from the pocket like they have an O-Line that's worth a damn. That is not going to work.

I'm not condemning anybody, and I'm not unhappy with the win. But the warts are the warts, and they're still there. We'll see how they do going forward.

I'm more encouraged by the abstract things that we can't really measure. They did what they had to do to beat a team that's better than them. That's worth something. What's it worth exactly? We don't know yet.
Some called on the post show suggested that the vanilla play calling was maybe due to the weather and the fact the Bears seemed to be starting backed up so far on their side of the field, that he didn't call some better plays until they got better field position.

I was pretty let down myself. I even sent a text to my brother that it was just the same old, same old in the first half. I would like to hear him answer why the gameplan looked nothing like the success they had in the Browns game.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
@Beast15 , @sevvy and others have pointed out, the SF defense is no joke. I still think Fields is going to be a stud, I think Mooney's ceiling is 1,000 - ish yards and 3-4 TDs. Kmet needs to show me something, anything. For as big a guy as he is, he is slow af it takes him like 20 seconds to get open., I wouldn't necessarily say he sucks because he can do some things once you get him the football. They have 0 game changers though, how do you not see this ?
That SF defense held GB to 10 points in the playoffs last January.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Some called on the post show suggested that the vanilla play calling was maybe due to the weather and the fact the Bears seemed to be starting backed up so far on their side of the field, that he didn't call some better plays until they got better field position.

I was pretty let down myself. I even sent a text to my brother that it was just the same old, same old in the first half. I would like to hear him answer why the gameplan looked nothing like the success they had in the Browns game.
Uhhh because hey weren't playing against backups ?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

Are you being forced to watch?