Eberflus is the Anti-Nagy

jive

Liked Posts:
It was refreshing to see a coaching style that was drastically different than Nagy's.

Eberflus committed to the run. Even when it wasn't gaining a bunch of yards, it wore down the defense, gave the QB some breathing room, and made the play action more effective in the 2nd half. Nagy would have given up on it after 5-7 carries and force Fields to throw the ball 30 times in the rain with the defense knowing it will be a pass play.

Eberflus made half-time adjustments. How many times have we seen a Nagy team fold when they were down in the second half, even though the score was still in reach? Too many, that's for sure. But, these coaches made adjustments on offense and defense. The team also looked to be in better shape as well, as they actually seemed stronger in the 2nd half.

Eberflus is a head coach, while Nagy just couldn't give up being an OC. He let Getsy call plays that fit Justin Fields' ability while giving him some cushion by running the ball, calling screens, play action, roll outs, etc. Justin got to play his game instead of trying to play Nagy's game.

Eberflus is keeping players accountable, unlike Nagy. The best players get to play, regardless of contract or draft position. We were able to sustain momentum by reducing penalties, something that was killed way too often in the Nagy era by undisciplined play.

I know there are guys that are dissing this win, but this ain't fantasy football. Yards alone don't win games. We beat the 49ers in a game designed for them, a game where running and defense were key to victory. We played better defense, and ran the ball. The players were motivated and did not fold when things didn't look good. The defensive game plan was effective and forced the 49ers to put the game on the arm of an inexperienced QB in the pouring rain instead of milking a lead. The offensive game plan was good enough to open up opportunities in the 2nd half. Without a doubt, some of the many penalties by the 49ers were forced by our offense or defense.

We beat a team that made the NFC Championship as 7 point home underdog and to make the "experts" reach for excuses or eat crow. I'm loving it!

Last edited:

mecha

Liked Posts:
Everyone was high on Nagy after his first game too.
I wasn't. he was just an offensive gimmick wonk without the past success of Trestman. there were many correlations between the two of them. the difference is Trestman recognized his mistakes, Nagy will continue to think he was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

if the Bears would've actually won that game, you know, by sticking to the plan, and continue to do so from that point forward, I would be saying something very different. Nagy was what I thought he was. he bred a fun culture with the team for a time that worked, but in his waning last couple years you could see the team was even tired of him.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The stars are aligned for Flus this coming weekend. He has a good chance of being a first time coach for the Bears and beating GB in GB year 1. (Thanks to Green Bay's putrid WR corps...) Last 4 Bears head coaches are 3-1 against GB in their opening game. (Nagy being the only loser)

It would be nice to get a win in GB on National TV... but I fear Rodgers pulls some shit out of his ass at the last minute to steal the victory.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I really think it's too early to draw these conclusions, but I like what I see overall so far. I'm content to wait and see, and I'm happy with the win.

At the same time, well into the third quarter, we all saw the same thing---Same old shitty Bears offense with no designed rollouts, no play-action, no moving the pocket, etc. Good on Fields, Getsy, Eberflus and the players for sticking it out and finding a way, through the rain and a mostly-stagnant offense, to bring on a W.

Now go win a game in Green Bay.

Last edited:

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
No Club Dub (like they won the SB) parties.

jive

Liked Posts:
FWIW, I'm really not making any predictions or calling Eberflus a savior. I'm just happy with the way this last game was coached. Even if some may think that the coaching was mediocre, it was still light years ahead of what Nagy would have done.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
It was refreshing to see a coaching style that was drastically different than Nagy's.
In fairness, of course it is when the previous guy sucked. This is what teams do. They're not going to replace a guy with another that has a similar style.

In other words, hopefully in another 4 years we're not dying for Flus to be fired cause he's too much of a tight ass. Time will tell. Great start so far though, i like what i'm seeing and agree with much of your post!

Username

Liked Posts:
I didn't expect the win and I'm happy with it. However, Feild's completed less than 50% of his passes.
Bears won this game because of a peanut punch, a lucky broken play, and the refs loved them.
See the forrest for the trees.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I didn't expect the win and I'm happy with it. However, Feild's completed less than 50% of his passes.
Bears won this game because of a peanut punch, a lucky broken play, and the refs loved them.
See the forrest for the trees.

I guess you weren't around (or didn't pay attention) to the Lovie years?

• The turnovers are coached. Teams that invest time like this get more turnovers. It happened consistently for the Bears defense under Lovie's tenure, so its stupid to consider it lucky or flukish.
  • The refs "loved" the Bears because the Bears were more disciplined and better-coached, not because of any inherent bias that you are implying. That's a reflection of good coaching.
  • The broken play was a scramble drill - and unlike when Nagy was there, they practice scramble drills. That play doesn't happen if Fields doesn't keep his eyes up and instead takes off, and also if Montgomery doesn't make a heads up play by running to the middle of the field to pull defenders off of Pettis when he saw both of them were keyed on him (Montgomery).
I mean, all that, and it was a freaking downpour.

I think at this point, you just want to be negative? Maybe apply your last line to yourself?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Ultimately most teams in the NFL are pretty close in terms of player talent, ie athletic ability, awareness, etc. QB at having a dominant player at really key spots like OT or DL are really the biggest things.

Past that it's coaching. Knowing how to use players (this was always a huge strength of Belicheck - knowing how to use average players in ways that allowed them to succeed), creative and timely play calling, and instill a culture of discipline, accountability, and hustle.

That's what wins games in an environment where talent is close to equal. I was a fan of the Eberflus hire, and I mentioned him as a good candidate before he was hired. He got a lot out of his defenses in IND even will low investment. I think he can do a good job here, although obviously the odds are against any head coach having long term success.

jive

Liked Posts:

• The turnovers are coached. Teams that invest time like this get more turnovers. It happened consistently for the Bears defense under Lovie's tenure, so its stupid to consider it lucky or flukish.
  • The refs "loved" the Bears because the Bears were more disciplined and better-coached, not because of any inherent bias that you are implying. That's a reflection of good coaching.
  • The broken play was a scramble drill - and unlike when Nagy was there, they practice scramble drills. That play doesn't happen if Fields doesn't keep his eyes up and instead takes off, and also if Montgomery doesn't make a heads up play by running to the middle of the field to pull defenders off of Pettis when he saw both of them were keyed on him (Montgomery).

I think at this point, you just want to be negative? Maybe apply your last line to yourself?
The turnovers were absolutely coached. I remember when Trestman was the HC, the players did not swarm to a loose ball the way they did with Lovie. I saw a loose ball in the end zone one game, and there were 2 guys that just looked at it. I remember saying that wouldn't have happened under Lovie. It didn't have to be an actual interception or fumble for the guys to swarm to the ball and run towards the end zone with it because they were trained to go after a loose ball regardless.

That TD from the Rams a couple seasons ago by Van Jefferson because he wasn't touched would never have happened under Lovie because they were trained to where that would have been an instinct. The guy that messed up would definitely have been benched, if not cut.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Nagy had a good first season but it was fangio's defense and ridiculous amount of turnovers that put the bears in such good position on offense, once yr 2 rolled around and the defense wasnt bringing in the turnovers coupled with teams figuring out nagy's inability to adjust it was over after that.

eberflus is basically lovie smith, they demand a certain standard and poles saw it firsthand as a player under lovie which is why he was drawn to the hits principle under eberflus. one thing is for sure with this group, they wont lose because of a lack of trying/execution, if they lose it will be due to a discrepancy in talent level and thats something that can be addressed in the offseason.

Username

Liked Posts:

1. If it wasn't lucky or flukish, it would have happened more than ouce. Just like during the Lovie years, the take aways happened when they happened, but not something to depend on. You fat fuck.
2. Despite the "discipline" They still ABSOLUTELY SUCKED in the first half. Some of those calls just went our way, for once. Not something to depend on. Get your pimpled orangutan-cheeked face out of the Doritos bag and you'd realize this.
3. The scramble drill on a broke play worked, but it was still a BROKEN PLAY, This is not something to depend on. Kind of like when you lift one of your fat rolls and are happy to find a few peanut M&M's. Understand?

Yes, all that in a downpour, many say if it wasn't for the weather the Bears wouldn't have won. Again not something to depend on.

Not trying to be negative. Just keepin' it real. Now run along and get a crow bar to pry your head out your ass.

All this feel good hype from the media is intoxicating, but they've only played one game. You should know better. Maybe the Bears will get lucky all the way to the playoffs, just like Nagy's first year. But don't expect this to last. They need more talent.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I agree that the game plan and execution in the first half was disappointing. I honestly thought, here we go again.....

But you must admit that the conditions called for a very conservative game plan, and Getsy/Flus did not panic, they were only down 7 points coming out of the half, and they did not deviate until they were down 10 points.

At that point, SF had to think (both players and coaches) that they could lock down the game by keying on the run game and short passes. That could not happen if Getsy had panicked in the first half+ and started throwing the ball all over the place, like Nagy would have.

Plus discipline! If we win the turnover battle and have fewer penalties, we gain more opportunities.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
Biggest difference is Nagy had that damn play sheet in his face the entire game, probably barely watched the actual game.

Ebs may look dorky with it crammed down his pants, but he trusts his hand-picked coaches to do their jobs and he just watches the entire game, probably gives some advice time to time on the headset. Every time it showed him during the game, his eyes were on the field, watching the game. Nagy was always trying to pick a play that would fool the D instead of just watch what was working and go from there.

It really is night and day difference. Watching teams like the Niners, Cowboys or Broncos just get flags on every other snap it seems, I'm so grateful that this staff put a stop to that shit. Seeing the Niners come out of a time out and still get a false start...I don't miss seeing that nonsense from the Bears at all. Granted they were at home, but if we see it carry over in Green Bay this week, that's a huge upgrade from the last few coaching staffs.