Does Getsy actually give the Packers an advantage?

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Getsy has been with the Packers for his entire NFL career prior to being hired to be our OC. I think it would be safe to say that the Packers understand his tendencies and coaching style. Will the Packers defense (a good one) be able to take advantage of that knowledge and shut down the offense similar to what the Niners did in the first half?

Bust

Liked Posts:
take the points. GO ALL IN. Eeezy money boo

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Getsy has been with the Packers for his entire NFL career prior to being hired to be our OC. I think it would be safe to say that the Packers understand his tendencies and coaching style. Will the Packers defense (a good one) be able to take advantage of that knowledge and shut down the offense similar to what the Niners did in the first half?
Since he didn’t call plays, I’m not sure they know his tendencies. On the other hand, he listened to every play called in the headsets while with the Packers. I’m sure he’s shared significant information on how the Packers game plan and their in-game philosophies.

Information coming out of Halas Hall indicates that in addition to stressing hustle and toughness, this coaching staff is emphasizing film study and situational advantages. Quotes this week from Robinson, Brisker and Jackson back that assessment.

Players still have to execute on the field…

However, there is no substitute for thorough preparation.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If he calls plays like he did in the 1st half vs the Niners, then the Packers have a cakewalk to victory.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If he calls plays like he did in the 1st half vs the Niners, then the Packers have a cakewalk to victory.

The playcalling was far too conservative, but it was so tough to make any conclusions about this offense in that weather.

It's almost like Sunday Night will be Week One all over again as far as my expectations go.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Since he didn’t call plays, I’m not sure they know his tendencies. On the other hand, he listened to every play called in the headsets while with the Packers. I’m sure he’s shared significant information on how the Packers game plan and their in-game philosophies.

Information coming out of Halas Hall indicates that in addition to stressing hustle and toughness, this coaching staff is emphasizing film study and situational advantages. Quotes this week from Robinson, Brisker and Jackson back that assessment.

I think i read that Getsy called 3rd down plays in GB.

They probably have an understanding of what he'd like to do but at the end of the day if Getsy truly does want to adapt a scheme to his players then im not sure how much of an advantage anyone on the outside has. I also think the rain last week benefited the Bears in that it limits some of the things they wanted to do and there's less on film for the Packers this week.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:

So are you saying that Getsy is more valuable to us with his knowledge of Rogers? I could see that, because like you said he was involved in the offense, very specifically Rogers (QB coach) without being the playcaller....

I wonder if the Bears would actually have Getsy join the Defensive film study for at least a short session. Not sure there is enough time for that, but he spent enough years in the offensive room to have some insight.....

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I think i read that Getsy called 3rd down plays in GB.

They probably have an understanding of what he'd like to do but at the end of the day if Getsy truly does want to adapt a scheme to his players then im not sure how much of an advantage anyone on the outside has. I also think the rain last week benefited the Bears in that it limits some of the things they wanted to do and there's less on film for the Packers this week.
Agree, we could catch the Packers off guard because they really do not know what to expect, UNLESS we end up with another rainy game....

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Getsy probably is so desperate to get back to Green Bay. Expect a ton of 7 step drops with 5 man protections. All fly patterns.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
The playcalling was far too conservative, but it was so tough to make any conclusions about this offense in that weather.

It's almost like Sunday Night will be Week One all over again as far as my expectations go.
Could be more rain Sunday in Green Bay, but nothing like last week.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
The offense called for a Rodgers type QB and the offense called for a Fields type QB, would be totally different. I don't see the advantage for them. For us yes. He will know their playbook. Advantage Bears. IMO.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Could be more rain Sunday in Green Bay, but nothing like last week.

Yeah, so far we are only talking "scattered thunderstorms" which could affect a few drives, but nothing you have to readjust your entire gameplan for.

Chicago got about six inches of rain in just over six hours this past Sunday. That is pretty rare for the Midwest.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I think playing against a top 5 defenses in your young QB's first live action in this offense with Joey Bosa lining up across from your rookie 5th rnd LT, constantly backed up in their own end, while in a monsoon was as much to blame for the playcalling as was anything else.

Last thing they needed was to start the season with Bears/Browns Part Deux

I expect things to open up more and more over the coming weeks.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Certainly a concern, but I'm actually more worried about how much Packers corners know about ESB from covering him everyday in practice for 4 years (or however long it's been). That could go either way I guess.

PrimeTime

Knowledge Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lafleur is the head coach and play caller on offense. If you watch him during a game he is very in tune to what is going while the defense is on the field, as he should be. I'm sure he sees some things that opponents defenses are doing during the game but IMO he was always very reliant on his coaches in the box to help with making adjustments. The Packers lead the league in 3rd quarter points which points directly to in game adjustments, which was one of the praises Rodgers had about Getsey. It's a very small sample size but on Sunday the Packers offense really didn't look much better in the 2nd half other than one drive. Conversely, the Bears offense was much better in the 2nd half.

I understand the criticism of Getsey for being too conservative in the 1st half against the 49ers but we also have to take into account the fact that he really didn't know exactly what he had on offense until real football started. It would have been difficult for him to be aggressive against a top 5 dline without truly knowing if his line could hold up or how his receivers would fair. The offensive playcalling in the 1st half had no continuity. It almost looked like he was just calling plays to test the results in order to be able to make adjustments later in the game.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I'm actually worried that he misses Green Bay so much that he's going to throw the game so Poles/Flus fire him.
I think Hackett has dibs on that. So Getsy's throwing will have to be epic. Like 77-0 epic

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
I didn't have too much of an issue with sticking to the run last week. What i was really questioning was why it was out of shotgun constantly. Especially considering the conditions.

But as for the topic at hand you could argue it helps the bears with getsy coming from GB.