Does Getsy actually give the Packers an advantage?

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I think playing against a top 5 defenses in your young QB's first live action in this offense with Joey Bosa lining up across from your rookie 5th rnd LT, constantly backed up in their own end, while in a monsoon was as much to blame for the playcalling as was anything else.

Last thing they needed was to start the season with Bears/Browns Part Deux

I expect things to open up more and more over the coming weeks.
Yeah, when the Bears average starting position was their own 12 in those conditions plus going up against that front it is going to affect what plays you can run. With a little better field position in the second half Bears were able to get three td's.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
The offensive playcalling in the 1st half had no continuity. It almost looked like he was just calling plays to test the results in order to be able to make adjustments later in the game.
Tough to say that we can really draw anything from the 1st half, because nothing was working....But the fact that they continued to run the ball was conservative, and at the same time pretty smart.

Getsy did not "force" the passing game in terrible conditions, against a very good D-line, until he had to. It was only 7-0 going into the half, and Nagy would have panicked and started throwing passes like we were trailing by 20.

Like you said, it almost looked like Getsy was setting the game up, and he did not start calling more pass plays until we were down 10, BUT he did not completely abandon the run (and we actually started to get results).

I don't expect us to beat the Packers, because Rogers always seems to figure out a way to either "big play" or "dink and dunk" us to death. But I'm excited to seem what we might be able to do or what the strategy might be.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Getsy has been with the Packers for his entire NFL career prior to being hired to be our OC. I think it would be safe to say that the Packers understand his tendencies and coaching style. Will the Packers defense (a good one) be able to take advantage of that knowledge and shut down the offense similar to what the Niners did in the first half?
I think it works more the other way. Getsy can help the D and change up O plays enough to catch out the Packer D. They have virtually no film on this O's true nature and tendencies yet.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
I don’t think they had much choice but to run the ball in the first half of last weeks game. I also think there’s a bigger picture to all that running. Sometimes you have to sacrifice for the future. Meaning they can’t let the defense know they’re turning one dimensional. It’s exposes your QB and the defense starts to cheat. If you’re refusing to abandon the run it looks like you’re just banging your head against the wall over and over again. There is a method to it though. You’re keeping the other team honest and you’re keeping opportunities for big passing plays and play action open because they defense has to respect the run. Play action doesn’t work if you‘re not also running the ball. It can be frustrating watching a guy like a Monty just play after play run into a wall and gain a yard. But that’s also what sets up big plays. You have to keep the defense honest. And with the weather conditions on Sunday if they freak out because they’re down 7 and start throwing all day they’re potentially exposing themselves.

I totally expect them to to the same thing against Green Bay. The only way they abandon it is if they fall behind big.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Or, he knows GB so well it's an advantage? I say it's a wash.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears have how many games against Lafleur and how much film since he came to GB? They hardly need to pick Getsy's brain for tendencies.

The NFL has film of the Bears' new scheme from one game and that was in unusual conditions. If there's an advantage (and there probably isn't) it's to the Bears.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Certainly a concern, but I'm actually more worried about how much Packers corners know about ESB from covering him everyday in practice for 4 years (or however long it's been). That could go either way I guess.
I'm thinking and hoping we see more targets for Pringle this week then we do ESB. Pretty much missed all of training camp and did miss all the preseason but after getting a good amount of field time last week i'm hoping they use him more this week.

Antobears

Liked Posts:
If he calls plays like he did in the 1st half vs the Niners, then the Packers have a cakewalk to victory.
I hear ya. The first half was very frustrating as a fan. But was there method to it? The 49ers safety hufanga made great plays during the game but it seemed like they drew him to over commit in the second half. Patient play calling maybe.

TonyDogs

Liked Posts:
You guys realize that every week coaches and players play against their former teams? Everyone knows someone who just played that team the week before to tries and get some insight. I don't think it'll matter in the long run.

There was a safety that was starting for someone. They were playing the Packers in the playoffs and it was third and goal. Brett Favre had audibled to a tight end curl in the endzone. The safety, remembering that audible from when he was a Packer, knew it was going to be a run so he tried to jump the snap and attack the running back.

Favre had purposely changed the play knowing it would mess the safety up. Stuff like this happens all the time. That's why these guys just try to focus on assignments instead of doing too much.

mecha

Liked Posts:
You guys realize that every week coaches and players play against their former teams? Everyone knows someone who just played that team the week before to tries and get some insight. I don't think it'll matter in the long run.

There was a safety that was starting for someone. They were playing the Packers in the playoffs and it was third and goal. Brett Favre had audibled to a tight end curl in the endzone. The safety, remembering that audible from when he was a Packer, knew it was going to be a run so he tried to jump the snap and attack the running back.

Favre had purposely changed the play knowing it would mess the safety up. Stuff like this happens all the time. That's why these guys just try to focus on assignments instead of doing too much.
to your point, Jack Del Rio (as a quality example) is on like his 43rd team. he's gone up against many former teams and players that themselves have probably played for multiple teams.

shit I remember like 6-7 months ago people were freaking out about Getsy being the Bears OC when he was merely the QB coach for the Packers. anyone remember that angle?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
So are you saying that Getsy is more valuable to us with his knowledge of Rogers? I could see that, because like you said he was involved in the offense, very specifically Rogers (QB coach) without being the playcaller....

I wonder if the Bears would actually have Getsy join the Defensive film study for at least a short session. Not sure there is enough time for that, but he spent enough years in the offensive room to have some insight.....
He certainly knows how they game planned for the Bears in the past and how Rodgers prefers to attack. None of it matters if the players can’t execute but the information is valuable.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
Getsy has been with the Packers for his entire NFL career prior to being hired to be our OC. I think it would be safe to say that the Packers understand his tendencies and coaching style. Will the Packers defense (a good one) be able to take advantage of that knowledge and shut down the offense similar to what the Niners did in the first half?
No!

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines