Whelp. The Bears are who we thought they were.. (FTO.... and FTP)

jc456

Liked Posts:
Jenkins honestly is a fucking beast. A lot of people would look mortal next to him the way he's been playing these past two games.

I don't think Patrick is a pro bowl level player, but I do think he's an above average offensive lineman who showed consistency playing the run and the pass as far as protection goes. Mustapher definitely has improved a lot from where he was, but he still is prone to getting his ass handed to him on pass protection these past two games.

I've heard some people be upset at why Fields doesn't step up in the pocket but that is a huge reason why. Sam either gets blown up or whitehair misses his assignment because he's helping Sam.
offensive line, offensive line offensive line. for over ten years now, and they got worse last night. fk, can't make it up how inept the bears really are.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
It looks like teams will play hard to stop the run in first half and then play nickel in second half bc they’ll be leading us in second half.

I think that’s why getsy ran so much in second half, bc they were in pass defense that would enable us to run well so why try and pass against them if that’s what they’re defending.

That scoring drive right before half was a killer, can’t let them get a first after 2/28. They should have been looking for a draw or screen.

We are 1-1 and all of us would have taken that before the season began.

Having said that, it’s still frustrating to watch a team struggle on offense in todays day and age.

We will win next two games though

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
DaBearsBlog's thoughts* + you have massive mammaries + You dont watch football + Im gonna get banned from this thread by my choosing
Perm threadban.

I said it before, will say again. For those of you who choose to blatantly say fuck it with the spirit of the rules for FTO threads that you don't care about being threadbanned in, I'm gonna start handing out full bans. Last warning.

I'm sick as fuck right now and this is the last thing I want to deal with because some of you want to take shots at other posters. Plenty of places to do that.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The preseaon and the monsoon game gave us some nice false hope, but against a team with a veteran HoF QB and a good running game, we got to see what we all mostly expected to see...The Bears in year 1 of a total rebuild.

My thoughts -

* The O-Line had solid run blocking for most of the night, but even with that, its obvious on the Justin Fields sacks in pass pro that Mustipher and Borom are just flat overmatched. The thing is - the coaching staff and the GM know this too. Its why Patrick is rotating with Jenkins (he will take over for Mustipher when ready) and why they picked up Alex Leatherwood, who I am going to guess they will slide in as an improvement to Borom as soon as they get him ready (and he's over his Mono). Doesn't mean either of these guys are the long term solution, but I believe the state of the Wide Recievers and the O-Line have more to do with the play calling than any confidence or lack thereof in Fields overall.

* Speaking of Fields, really rough game for him, especially in the first half and at the end of the game. He was trying to do too much instead of letting the game come to him, and it was a regression day for him. But there was a slight bright spot. He did, when given time, deliver a quick timing strike over the middle in the second half that shows he can still learn. Still, as much as there are some here who want to pile on Fields as a bust right now, its still way too early, and they just played a Green Bay team who has a Playoff-ready defense and who knows Getsy's system really well overall. The smart play is for people to treat this like Fields' rookie year. Shit, I never thought Tua would amount to anything and apparently he had himself a day with the Dolphins - developing Fields is going to take more patience than a lot of you have. Try to have it anyway.

* The WRs we have right now are better blockers than WRs. I think this was by design. The GM and staff know they are going to try to win while being severely undermanned compared to other teams. So they are trying to win games on the ground. Which made the reason to abandon the run and some of the shotgun run plays very baffling. Hoping the coaches learn from that.

* Speaking of undermanned, are we glad we didn't pay Roquan Smith yet? In this defense, the Linebackers are the position group primarily in charge of stopping the run, and they have a horrible, horrible night of missed tackle after missed tackle and bad angle after bad angle. Smith and the Colds free agent, Muhammad, were getting run on all night long and didn't even slow the Green Bay running backs down to give the secondary a chance to swarm to the ball carrier. If you want to take away one potential positive from all the negative? I remember when Lovie installed the cover 2 in 2004, and in spots the defense looked just as awful as this for stretches with pro bowl and hall of fame players at the positions. This was 100% because the players were not trusting the guy next to them to mind their gap, and instead came over to "help", which opened up the field and made the defense fall apart. Too early to tell, but lets hope that's all the problem is here, and it will be fixed by the last 4 games of the season.

* Kyler Gordon - welcome to the league rookiee. He showed some good traits but also got his ass torched and was out of position a LOT. Jaylon Johnson he is not, that's for sure. But that said, think when all is said and done, Gordon will be permanently moved to nickel after this season. I think he can thrive and grow there - but I just don't see him as a full time outside corner like Johnson is.

*Conversely, Brisker looks like the real deal. Its hard to call a 2nd round pick "a steal", but he keeps playing like he should have been selected with one of the first 10 picks in the draft. Good on Poles for that one.

Honestly, that's all I can really say with confidence right now. Anything else would just be emotion from being pissed at losing to the Packers again. Trying to look at things objectively, and I really think by this time next year, half of the players on our team will be playing for someone else or out of the league.
I stopped listening to your fat takes when you said
‘This his how you build a championship team’ after the browns preseason game…

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
How the fuck can you call pass plays against that defensive line with the Bears Oline?
they’re trying to get Fields through the season in one piece….

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Perm threadban.

I said it before, will say again. For those of you who choose to blatantly say fuck it with the spirit of the rules for FTO threads that you don't care about being threadbanned in, I'm gonna start handing out full bans. Last warning.

I'm sick as fuck right now and this is the last thing I want to deal with because some of you want to take shots at other posters. Plenty of places to do that.

Thank you and feel better.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It looks like teams will play hard to stop the run in first half and then play nickel in second half bc they’ll be leading us in second half.

I think that’s why getsy ran so much in second half, bc they were in pass defense that would enable us to run well so why try and pass against them if that’s what they’re defending.

That scoring drive right before half was a killer, can’t let them get a first after 2/28. They should have been looking for a draw or screen.

We are 1-1 and all of us would have taken that before the season began.

Having said that, it’s still frustrating to watch a team struggle on offense in todays day and age.

We will win next two games though

100%

This year is definitely going to be a frustrating watch. But all of us looking at the rebuild expected it. The Bears know they don't have a ton of talent. So they are going to try to win running the ball and with the defense to keep it close this year, while treating Fields as a year 1 rookie and developing him. I mean think about it - why did they sign a bunch of receivers who seem to be better run blockers than receivers?

Next year should be a lot better, and they will open the offense up more.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
They might need to look at Reiff some at RT. Borom is just flat out getting owned out there.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
GB didn’t need to score in the second half. They know the Bears can’t so rem and they were never a threat.

That happens a lot to team playing the Bears, they just eat the clock and play safe, so it seems the D improved, but in reality, when they need to score, they do it at will.
Hey I said it was all optimistic, and your want to rain on my parade!! :)
Yeah without a doubt if the Packers needed to get more points, I'm sure they would have played more aggressive like in the first half

pablovi

Liked Posts:
100%

This year is definitely going to be a frustrating watch. But all of us looking at the rebuild expected it. The Bears know they don't have a ton of talent. So they are going to try to win running the ball and with the defense to keep it close this year, while treating Fields as a year 1 rookie and developing him. I mean think about it - why did they sign a bunch of receivers who seem to be better run blockers than receivers?

Next year should be a lot better, and they will open the offense up more.

I hope you’re right. But I would like to see more the new system, I Think it’s more important to develop your supposed franchise QB, than try to win games by running a lot right now.