Do you give Fields entire year if he does not improve?

J2hotnspicyy

Liked Posts:
Yes. The whole year with 25-35 passes per game. We can’t be precious with this “run the ball” structure unless we know Fields is good. Its ignorant to modern football to not priortize developing your young QB, your ceiling will always remain low

GB can lean running game all they want with less talented WR’s. They know they got the goods if they need Rodgers

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I would have said yes going into this year. But he is playing so bad that eventually you have to evaluate the other players. It’s not fair to them.

If it was me, I give him maybe to week 6.
Depends on what their playing for. If this staff has delusions of grandeur and a playoff spot, then they will bench him.

They should still ride with him until next season, hope he screws enough games to ensure a high draft pick and then dump him for whatever you can get for him.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Start him the entire year he's the best QB on the roster.

Not from what I saw today. Trevor Siemian is not a great QB but he is at least a proven NFL back up QB. Fields looked like a high school QB today. He was missing routine passes. Even Rex Grossman and Trubisky have never looked that bad passing the ball.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
It all depends on the priority of the coaching staff and front office.
If I were in charge, I would give him all of this year and all of next year. I'd be relying upon a quick passing game along with the run. I'd be trying to figure out what he does well, what he doesn't do well and try to improve all of that over the course of the season. Wins and losses would not matter to me. If I lose by 100, I lose by 100. My only concern would be did the QB get better from the 1st quarter of the season to the 2nd quarter of the season and so on? I don't believe at all that that is this coaching staff's focus and that was my biggest worry when they went defensive minded head coach.

I believe they're trying to maximize wins at the expense of developing the QB. It's absurd that 92%+ of the play calls inside the redzone are runs. It's not playing to develop the QB, it's playing extremely conservatively and trying to avoid mistakes to win games. It seems obvious to me that they're wanting to maximize wins over all else which is why I'm surprised they just aren't playing Siemian with that being the goal. Entering today's game, the Bears were running 66% of the time in a pass first league. Today, 22 passes (including the 5 sacks), 40 rushing attempts. It's football numbers wise from a different era.

Fields looked terrible in his limited opportunities today, no doubt. He looked terrible last week too. I think the writing is on the wall that they'll be picking a new QB next offseason. I base this on current usage as well as based on how little help they got him this past offseason. Fields may well suck but he's been set up to fail by 2 staffs now who seem more concerned with maximizing wins than they do about developing the QB.

J2hotnspicyy

Liked Posts:
We threw away chance to evalauate 3 timeout, 45 sec Fields drive with an opportunity for points.

You either don’t trust Fields, or you don’t think he was in a good rhythm which is on you. Either way the Fields answers good or bad need to be resounding at the end of the year

With the staff letting failing to invest in Jenkins, dismissing Thomas Graham in a position of need. Not sure I trust their nuanced evaluations of talent. Rev the engines on these guys and see what you got, it it blows it blows

TL1961

Liked Posts:
If you are concerned whether he proves to be "the guy", that's understandable.

If you honestly wonder whether they should be playing a different QB at some point this year, you really have no clue.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The whole season... undoubtedly. No matter how dismal it got.

More losses would mean a better pick.

As for team morale, I wouldn't worry- you are trying to see what a first round pick can do.
You make certain and then move on at the end of the year.

It isnt like any wrs are losing money or that you jave a legit backup that could be the future.

They have to ride this season out, 100%

CreepyBasementGuy

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I woulda thought about benching him after that second int which was awful lol.

But I guess he can just play out the season, why not at this point, we ain't gonna be contendors or have a better option on the bench.