I still believe in Fields

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
To put in perspective:

Week 1- I think most would agree he was about average. Maybe even slightly above average when you factor in the weather/field conditions.

Week 2- Bad results. 43.7 QB rating, not good by any means. But he was 7-9 for 70 yards before the game was out of hand. Not going to pretend that is great or anything, but the sample size is so small that the desperation INT he threw on that last drive took his QB rating from 89.7 for the game down 56 points.

Week 3- Just bad. Really bad, worse than bad. Grossmanesque. No excuse.

Granted, you do have the stuff with not seeing guys open, holding onto the ball too long, and not feeling pressure. All 4 of his INTs have been bad throws, bad reads, bad eyes. But we're ultimately talking about 1 bad game and 1 bad throw. He's gotta be much better, no question. But it's silly to give up on him. It's only been 13 games. Hell, it's only been 3 games in this offense.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
More historically bad numbers

Out of the Bears 12 possessions in Sunday’s game. The Bears completed multiple passes just one time. So, with 11 of the possessions they completed 0 or 1 pass.

You can’t make this stuff up. This would be bad in the 1950s, let alone today’s NFL.

?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Yes, sooner or later an NFL QB will have a good game against a bad team.

Ok so serious question, no jokes. If u were the OC what would u do to develop JF?
What would u do differently than Getsy?
Again, no 'bench him' jokes. Serious, sincere response only
?

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Ok so serious question, no jokes. If u were the OC what would u do to develop JF?
?
You won’t get a serious plan out of him. All his material is after the fact. When he did put a plan out a few years back it was for foles and it didn’t work out he hid from it.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I have proof the Bengals OL got better. Williams is a NFL offensive lineman and part of the rebuilt OL. He's more of a authority than u or I. Oh...BTW this "some quote from a bad offensive lineman" , as u call Jonah Williams, has only 4 sacks allowed
outta 237 snaps.....according to PFF.

You claimed "irrelevance". I gave clarification and relevance in link #178 And I also addressed your "stats comment". To "ignore" it, is to do what u claim I do.....which was respectfully addressed in link #178
Four sacks out of 237 snaps is fucking terrible. Four sacks in 3 games comes out to about 21 sacks over the season. If every OL player on a team's line gave up that many sacks, it would be the record for sacks given up in a season by a huge amount. The Bengals pass protection was among the league's worst over the first two weeks. Burrow was sacked 13 times and he avoided several more easy ones with his high level of awareness.

It also has nothing to do with the stat I posted. This isn't tough to understand. Some player, whether he sucks or not (in this case he does) saying he wants to protect the QB for 5 second is not evidence of anything actually happening. Someone would have to be pretty stupid to think that it was.

Last edited:

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
To put in perspective:

Week 1- I think most would agree he was about average. Maybe even slightly above average when you factor in the weather/field conditions.

Week 2- Bad results. 43.7 QB rating, not good by any means. But he was 7-9 for 70 yards before the game was out of hand. Not going to pretend that is great or anything, but the sample size is so small that the desperation INT he threw on that last drive took his QB rating from 89.7 for the game down 56 points.

Granted, you do have the stuff with not seeing guys open, holding onto the ball too long, and not feeling pressure. All 4 of his INTs have been bad throws, bad reads, bad eyes. But we're ultimately talking about 1 bad game and 1 bad throw. He's gotta be much better, no question. But it's silly to give up on him. It's only been 13 games. Hell, it's only been 3 games in this offense.
I'd say game 1 was average at best because there was still really only 1 or 2 plays that he made on schedule. But I appreciate your post for actually having some @Perspective and not being the whiney stuff everyone else has been hammering this board with.

I'm definitely discouraged, but fields still has plenty of time to hopefully turn things around this season. I think he comprehends the x's and o's in the film room and explaining it, but can he process it fast enough to apply in game action. Time will tell.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
?
I didn't say I'd do anything different than Getsy. When you've been as bad as Fields, you're just going to have to continue running like we have been.

I was one of the few ppl who said they might have been running a lot the first 2 games because Fields - like Mitch in 2017 - wasn't good enough to throw 30+ times.

Post below was about Fields after the GB game.

SmartSelect_20220926_131901_Firefox.jpg

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
You won’t get a serious plan out of him. All his material is after the fact. When he did put a plan out a few years back it was for foles and it didn’t work out he hid from it.
Please stop lying. I've owned it multiple times. You are aware of it and continue to lie.

Screenshot_20220926_132959_Firefox.jpg

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
?
Four sacks out of 237 snaps is fucking terrible. Four sacks in 3 games comes out to about 21 sacks over the season. If every OL player on a team's line gave up that many sacks, it would be the record for sacks given up in a season by a huge amount. The Bengals pass protection was among the league's worst over the first two weeks. Burrow was sacked 13 times and he avoided several more easy ones with his high level of awareness.

It also has nothing to do with the stat I posted. This isn't tough to understand. Some player, whether he sucks or not (in this case he does) saying he wants to protect the QB for 5 second is not evidence of anything actually happening. Someone would have to be pretty stupid to think that it was.

I didn't look at his rating. In any case. JF is getting hit a lot after throwing DT Kenny Clark said this. And I've seen him get hit and receive inadequate pass pro.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I didn't say I'd do anything different than Getsy. When you've been as bad as Fields, you're just going to have to continue running like we have been.

I was one of the few ppl who said they might have been running a lot the first 2 games because Fields - like Mitch in 2017 - wasn't good enough to throw 30+ times.

Post below was about Fields after the GB game.

View attachment 22878

Ok so serious question, no jokes. If u were the OC what would u do to develop JF? What would u do differently than Getsy? Again, no 'bench him' jokes. Serious, sincere response only.
______

This is all hypothetical.
So I never said, u said anything. I wanted to know what you would do as a OC. It's a general hypothetical question.

You continue to say JF is "bad". But If I'm Bears ownership and I'm paying u to develop our first round Qb how would u do it beside "running the ball"? Now if u are saying there's nothing u could do to develop JF, then as a owner, I should fire u, right??

Sevendaymelee

Liked Posts:
I still believe in Fields because why the fuck not? Our opinion doesn't matter. We're not making any decisions. Fields is our quarterback, and until he's not, I will hope for the best.
I always hope for the best. It's the expectation part that I get hung up on. My mind's far too pragmatic for anything else.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I had hope in preseason when he was calm and going thru his reads. He really looked like a better QB.

Right now he is processing poorly and inaccurate. We saw with Trubisky that even when he settled down the inaccuracy still hurt him. It is really looking bad for Fields right now.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
To put in perspective:

Exactly. There is still a ton of time for this to turn around, in what most of us considered to be a growth / throwaway season. If he still looks terrible at the end of the year, then MAYBE you start looking at alternatives. But I think he's got at least another full year in this system before that's even on the table IMO. The talent, athleticism and intangibles are simply too good to throw out the baby with the bathwater without giving it some time to make it work. I'm a believer this will happen. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong and will freely admit it if things don't pan out.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Exactly. There is still a ton of time for this to turn around, in what most of us considered to be a growth / throwaway season. If he still looks terrible at the end of the year, then MAYBE you start looking at alternatives. But I think he's got at least another full year in this system before that's even on the table IMO. The talent, athleticism and intangibles are simply too good to throw out the baby with the bathwater without giving it some time to make it work. I'm a believer this will happen. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong and will freely admit it if things don't pan out.

This is clearly an objective, well balanced approach to the JF situation(y)

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

100%

Honestly I don't know how an accurate assessment can be handled this year thus far anyway.

I remembered thinking during the game that fields at one point looked rattled and like he was seeing ghosts. So I went ahead and looked at the passing plays today and saw that both tackles were getting absolutely destroyed in pass protection. Like superbad.

If you already have a Young quarterback who's trying to learn the position, having him constantly be worried that he's going to need to run for his life is not going to help matters.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Yep. Obviously, he can't be sub 30 QB rating level bad like he was yesterday consistently. But no QB has ever been that bad and I have no reason to believe Fields isn't good enough to put up some fluke games, worse case. He's played 13 games. He's got 14 more this year. Hopefully he gets the vast majority of the 17 next year, health provided. He's not even 1/3 of the way thru his Bears tenure.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Feel free to bump this in a few years and call me a Fieldsexual. Or whatever.

All of us knew this season would be painful. Fields has definitely been less than great, but we have a long way to go. If things still look this way in the deeper part of the season, then that's a different conversation.

The Bears are 2-1 and I only had them pegged for 6-7 wins this season.
I'm with you, it will take time but Fields will get it. He has all the tools.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
?
My opinion...

- Continued focus on the run game, with more PA thrown in to keep things honest.

- Less shotgun.

- More designed rollouts.

- High percentage throws to build some rhythm.

- After some rhythm has been established, encourage him to take more deep shots, even if it means mistakes might be made.

I am a total casual fan though, so who knows what's best. I just enjoy the game and not pretending to be an expert with my super impressive resume of being a high school TE that was frankly pretty terrible at it. There are definitely more qualified people here than me to give their opinions.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I hated the two interceptions.
He also had 3 or 4 boneheaded throws.

But he has zero protection. Zero weapons. His athleticism alone gave the Bears 4 first downs today.

He is a more accurate and more athletic Mitch. But if the Bears aren't going to provide any protection and help for him, he will crash and burn.

I like Fields. I think he has potential. But it's the Bears that are failing him. And his mistakes today are more a culmination of things rather than Fields simply not being good.

In short, I feel bad for the guy.

Last...
Don't let 2-1 fool you. This team is terrabad and I think they go 4-13.

Ok...dude, this was a very well thought out honest commentary

Last edited: