Getsy and Eberflus are not messing up Fields

Toast88

Liked Posts:
The Bears literally had more rushing yards Sunday than they've had in a game since 1984...and they still needed an extremely fortunate interception and a game-winning FG as time expired to beat a terrible Texans team.

Hey, take the win. That's not my point. My point is that if you're lighting the world on fire on the ground and still barely beating one of the worst teams in the league, maybe that's not the way to win very many games in the NFL in 2022.

No team is going to come into a matchup against the Bears with the mindset of shutting down Fields. He hasn't really shown he can do anything. Teams are going to stack the box more and more to cut down on the runs, and Fields is going to have to prove he can beat them through the air. I don't think he can, but hey, time will tell.

Long story short: If the Bears play how they did Sunday---even with the awesome running game---they're not going to win very many games in the modern NFL.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
My hope is once the losses start piling on, they let fields go out there and just sling it nonstop. Throws 4 int's who cares.

This team aint going anywhere w/ this defense. They have zero pass rush and zero run D. That might work against the texans but a team like the Bills will gouge you and milk the clock.
I think Eberflus and Getsy are already showing us that they're not going to do that. They're going to do everything they can to win every game, and right now, that means not letting Fields rip it.

They're potentially foregoing Fields' development in order to try to win more games in a year when they're not going to win the Super Bowl anyway. Try telling an NFL head coach that, yeah, I know---but facts are facts.

What Fields needs is what Trevor Lawrence got last year: "Rip it, kid. If you throw 5 picks, you throw 5 picks. We're going to give you 30 throws a game, and whatever happens, happens." Lawrence looked like shit most of last year. Then you could see the screws turn in his head and him slowly start to get it. Now I think it's pretty clear Lawrence is going to at the very least be pretty good. Doubt it if you guys want, but that wouldn't have happened if they held Lawrence back and only had him throw it a dozen times a game and preached limiting mistakes.

"Don't worry about mistakes, kid. You're going to make them. Worry about running the offense and getting that ball to your receivers." That needs to be the mindset.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I’m really not sure about Jenkins at RT. Before him being at RG, I would have definitely agreed with you. Now, I really like what I’m seeing from him there. I think he’s and elite level prospect there.

So, he could be a great RT. I’m not sure. I really think he has that ability. But, man, is he a good guard.

Borom. I’m not sure about him. He has some plays where I’m just like what why? But others, he looks good. Worse comes to worse is we sign a RT next year.

So, yeah, I’m not sure about Jenkins moving to RT, anymore.
I wasn't suggesting moving him at this time. I was stating an opinion on competence.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think Eberflus and Getsy are already showing us that they're not going to do that. They're going to do everything they can to win every game, and right now, that means not letting Fields rip it.

They're potentially foregoing Fields' development in order to try to win more games in a year when they're not going to win the Super Bowl anyway. Try telling an NFL head coach that, yeah, I know---but facts are facts.

What Fields needs is what Trevor Lawrence got last year: "Rip it, kid. If you throw 5 picks, you throw 5 picks. We're going to give you 30 throws a game, and whatever happens, happens." Lawrence looked like shit most of last year. Then you could see the screws turn in his head and him slowly start to get it. Now I think it's pretty clear Lawrence is going to at the very least be pretty good. Doubt it if you guys want, but that wouldn't have happened if they held Lawrence back and only had him throw it a dozen times a game and preached limiting mistakes.

"Don't worry about mistakes, kid. You're going to make them. Worry about running the offense and getting that ball to your receivers." That needs to be the mindset.
Yes, let's Urban Meyer this shit! Maybe we can all dress like clowns for this seasons last home game to show our approval.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Yes, let's Urban Meyer this shit! Maybe we can all dress like clowns for this seasons last home game to show our approval.
So, to be clear: Are you saying Trevor Lawrence's learning pains and ups-and-downs last year didn't help progress him into the quarterback he's now becoming in front of our eyes?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So, to be clear: Are you saying Trevor Lawrence's learning pains and ups-and-downs last year didn't help progress him into the quarterback he's now becoming in front of our eyes?
Every game helps every QB. Correlation is not causation and they all develop differently. Do you think this year's more competent coaching and staff may be helping the situation. Every coach has been replaced because they were so good at this and it's your example of how to handle Fields.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

You don’t think losing games like against Sunday don’t have a negative affect on the team? If they can win a game they better try to win that game losing culture is a cancer

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Every game helps every QB. Correlation is not causation and they all develop differently. Do you think this year's more competent coaching and staff may be helping the situation. Every coach has been replaced because they were so good at this and it's your example of how to handle Fields.

Yes.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
You don’t think losing games like against Sunday don’t have a negative affect on the team? If they can win a game they better try to win that game losing culture is a cancer
Meh. I would rather develop my young quarterback than win games, if I’m not going to the playoffs anyway.

I understand the counter-arguments. I just think having a good quarterback is the most important thing for an NFL team in the modern era. The Bears need to figure out if they have that.

If that means possibly losing 11 games instead of 8 or 9, I’m O.K. with that.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Meh. I would rather develop my young quarterback than win games, if I’m not going to the playoffs anyway.

I understand the counter-arguments. I just think having a good quarterback is the most important thing for an NFL team in the modern era. The Bears need to figure out if they have that.

Being ok with losing games essentially for more passing reps for one player isn't a good look. You also have no idea if that would make it even worse for Fields, being the main reason for the losing. I'd rather they try to win games and let Fields get out of whatever funk he currently is in, naturally

Speed

Liked Posts:
Begs the question about why they would come out trying to stop the pass when Fields can do that on his own?

Sell out to stop the run all day. Make Fields prove he can beat you. It's a game of adjustments.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I am too but when having a day like that when he's already 2nd guessing himself or fighting his mechanics or whatever it was, you aren't helping him by piling on errors or the team by purposefully losing. That wasn't the game to push the only about the QB perspective. he needed a reset and hopefully he's accomplishing that this week. Sometimes you also need to protest your investments.

Last edited:

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think his progress is more to do with his GM supporting him. Unfortunately we got stuck with Poles.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Rieff is over rated by this board and just isn't that good either. I agree about Jenkins being a better RT. I've been saying he's better than Borom anywhere on the line for like forever.
i watched what I think was the final preseason game on tape and saw the 2nd string LT get easily pushed back into the QB and looked up the number and it was Reiff, I was shocked everything I had read at that point was he was our savior

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Fields sucking is only part of the problem. It's probably the biggest part, but it's not the only part. Teams with shitty quarterbacks are lapping the Bears on production.

I'm not condemning Getsy and Ebeflus just yet, but I'm also not going to defend them. At the end of the day, they will be what the results say they are. If this doesn't pick up in a major way, though, guys, we're talking about historic lows.

The Bears are on pace for 1,649 team passing yards, and that's even putting the yards back that are lost on sacks (Those traditionally come out of the team passing totals, but I've put them back in).

Passing yards by team:
32: Bears - 297
31: Panthers - 550
30: 49ers - 559
29: Giants - 560
28: Steelers - 569

Passing attempts by team:
32: Bears - 45
31: Falcons - 79
30: Panthers - 81
30: 49ers - 81
28: Titans - 84