Helping your quarterback out: Looking at Packers/Bucs

CreepyBasementGuy

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Run more screens and easy plays to help him out? But I feel like they did, they ran like three wide receiver screens in the first half and do you know what came out of it? 3 incompletions because Fields couldn't accurately throw a wide receiver screen pass. Not 100% sure on this cuz I'm going based off memory but they did run multiple WR screens and easy stuff and none of them worked out or he just missed. Honestly, Idk how much more you can help a QB besides running it very well, calling short easy stuff, etc etc. Maybe you can say the line can protect better but it hasn't too bad I feel like. He just got to play better tbh.

They're keeping it so simple for him they're barely making him throw at all.

Speed

Liked Posts:
They've been calling naked/boots for him, which are essentially cutting the field in half. Giving him easier concepts to deal with where he just isolate what 1 corner is gonna do. They've called a few screens. They have been slowing it down for him IMO. He has a dominant running game, and the defense looks above average. What more can be done outside of having a dominant receiver that can win 1 on 1's, and all pro tackles?

I get what you mean, but this is the NFL. How much can they dumb this down to the detriment of everyone else? I'm not taking a shot at you, but respectfully they've seen him probably everyday since spring. I would like to hope they have a good handle on what he can and can't do by now.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Two pretty decent defenses as well.

Our own defense has a few soft spots in the secondary at present. need to get that foxed.

What is a little scary, IMHO, is the slow but steady development of Romeo Doubs for Green Bay...I think that kid is going to be good, maybe really good at some point.

That's a problem.
Who needs Doubs when you have a speedster like Veus Jones Jr who hasn't logged an NFL snap after 3 weeks!

mecha

Liked Posts:
Who needs Doubs when you have a speedster like Veus Jones Jr who hasn't logged an NFL snap after 3 weeks!
look man. Black Rainbow's gimmick is Black Rainbow's. you can't be Black Rainbow, ok? find another gimmick to steal. just not mine. there can only be one.

Pretzel Logic

“I have forced myself to contradict myself "
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Pittsburgh Pirates
  1. Philadelphia 76ers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Pittsburgh Penguins
Look at his footwork in that video and when he gets to the last step of his drop. It's endemic of his play this season.

Getsy could do more, every coach bar Nagy could/should be able to admit that, but if the QB isn't trusting the simple process of drop back and based on play design, throw, then it's on the QB.

Pretzel Logic

“I have forced myself to contradict myself "
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Pittsburgh Pirates
  1. Philadelphia 76ers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Pittsburgh Penguins
Hmmm I think we could all throw a name in the ring for 'why didn't we take a punt on 'X' when they were there in the draft' I think Doubs looked worthy of a 4th or a 5th round pick, but probably points to the wider picture of the total lack of talent or youth or depth on this team that faced the new FO and Coaching staff.

Have to hope VJ get's fit and works out ...

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
Fields is struggling with the easy plays too though.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Perfect ! Our wide receiver goes on IR so let's sign a LB'er !!

Can we please poach the next Slant King off of someone's practice squad ?

Reactions: Myk

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Problem is Justin needs to throw the ball quickly, which he simply won’t do for some reason.

While of course that's true, do you know what would help a young QB not need to throw the ball quickly?
You don't find it at all odd that "Cutler holds the ball too long", "Trubisky holds the ball too long", "Fields holds the ball too long"? I bet Grossman would've held the ball too long too if it wasn't for his 25yd drop backs. It's just that "bad luck" again only being able to find QBs who hold the ball too long I guess. I don't know what else it could be so it must be the QB's fault.

Even the seasoned vets who could get the ball out instantly didn't manage to do very well so somehow I'm thinking that answer isn't the answer. The problem is the answer probably isn't available this season and maybe not even the next.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
While of course that's true, do you know what would help a young QB not need to throw the ball quickly?
You don't find it at all odd that "Cutler holds the ball too long", "Trubisky holds the ball too long", "Fields holds the ball too long"? I bet Grossman would've held the ball too long too if it wasn't for his 25yd drop backs. It's just that "bad luck" again only being able to find QBs who hold the ball too long I guess. I don't know what else it could be so it must be the QB's fault.

Even the seasoned vets who could get the ball out instantly didn't manage to do very well so somehow I'm thinking that answer isn't the answer. The problem is the answer probably isn't available this season and maybe not even the next.

Cutler had Alshon, B Marsh and Marty B at TE. He had help. Sometimes the blame just lands on the QB

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Cutler had Alshon, B Marsh and Marty B at TE. He had help. Sometimes the blame just lands on the QB

3 years later. Sometimes the blame is on the team who refuses to get talent on defense until it's too little too late.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree. No question that Fields has made some bad plays. But we have to have the smallest, lightest, slowest assortment of receivers in the league. Just one of Alshon, Marsh, or Bennett would make a nice difference to developing Fields. No doubt about it.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Here we have a game this past Sunday with maybe the two best quarterbacks to ever play the game.

And still it was an extremely slopping game offensively, and neither offense could really get much going.

So what did the offensive coaches do on each side? Did they just keep plugging away, saying, "Hey, we have a Hall of Famer. It'll work out sooner or later."?

No, they changed up their playcalling to help out their quarterbacks. Both sides started calling more quick passes and one-read plays, and more quick drop-offs to speedy receivers. (For example, both of Green Bay's touchdowns were on quick-slants.)

I'm not absolving Justin Fields for his continually sub-par play, but if Green Bay and Tampa were willing to change it up to help out their Hall of Fame QBs, why won't Getsy and Eberflus change it up to help out their struggling 2nd-year quarterback?

I'm still seeing a heavy dose of dropbacks in the pocket and plays that require Fields to read the whole field and go through progressions. Yes, he's going to need to be able to do those things to ultimately succeed, but in the meantime, to help with his struggles, it makes sense to cut down the progressions, go with more quick-plays (Hell, that's 80 percent of what the Chiefs do) and 1-2 read plays that don't require Fields to do a lot of thinking.

The thing Fields is struggling with most right now is seeing the field and processing what he's seeing. There are ways to cut down on that.

Fields is playing like chicken shit, and when you get dealt chicken shit, you try to make chicken salad. Plenty of teams around the league have bad quarterbacks, yet they're all lapping the Bears on offense because they're willing to play to their quarterbacks' limited strengths. It's time for Getsy to do the same.

Packers/Bucs:

The Bucs did such a great job helping their QB that they have three TDs in three games with the greatest QB of all time.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I wish you luck as I feel I have turned my E-face blue going on & on about these coaches coming up with a gameplan that revolves around getting Fields out of his funk, but I guess 2022 was more about super serious football than we thought.

"But Penny, a strong run game is super helpful for a quarterback!!!"

Well sure the run game does do very helpful things like keep pass rushers honest and makes it easier to sell the play action, but it does literally nothing to help a quarterback learn to play quarterback.

I mean if Bill Lazor running a Matt Nagy offense got more out of Justin Fields than Luke Getsy, maybe Luke Getsy is part of the problem???

maybe Luke Getsy is part of the problem???

this

Bust

Liked Posts:
Here we have a game this past Sunday with maybe the two best quarterbacks to ever play the game.

And still it was an extremely slopping game offensively, and neither offense could really get much going.

So what did the offensive coaches do on each side? Did they just keep plugging away, saying, "Hey, we have a Hall of Famer. It'll work out sooner or later."?

so rushing for 300 yards is not helping the qb out?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!DUH!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
maybe they need to run the "pure @run and shoot" formation

We'd be scoring at least 3-4 Td's a game in the "R&S" offense. And we'd have a 1000 yard rusher. Plus, given the option routes, there's always at least one Wr open in the ""R&S" offense. ;)

Last edited: