Overall talent deficit may not be AS bad as we thought on offense. FTO

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So, all this fighting with everyone over the tackles being bad in pass pro had me looking at a lot of film, and since I was doing that, I caught on to a lot of things.

Sure, this may be a "no duh" to some people, and honestly, people including me predicted this, but something I saw that should factor into the evaluation of Fields is that as I evaluated the tape, it looks to me like there are a lot of blown assignments on the offense.

Now, I am not talking every player on every play, but it seems like every 2-3 plays, either a tight end fails to chip, the fullback or running back fails to pick up an unaccounted for rusher, one of the guys on the O-line misses an assignment and lets a defender get a free run at the QB, etc.

On run plays, it seems like the Bears more have their stuff together. Blockers know their assignments, etc. This is likely because the Bears know exactly where they are going with the ball on those plays.

I still contend that Jones and Borom are getting pounded, but looking specifically at Jones, he is very technique-sound, which means if he can bulk up and add power over the offseason, he might actually be quite the steal - his issue is literally being more stout against a bull rush, although at times at the end of his block he has a tendency to then let the defender around him - he needs to finish to the whistle.

The point overall I suppose I am trying to make, is that all of these things are things that can be worked on and improved on as the season goes on. It really reflects what Eberflus said during Monday's press conference when asked about Fields performance, when he said it wasn't just all on Fields, but the whole offense needs to do better, the blocking needs to do better, etc.

All of this is correctable and should improve as the season goes on, with the exception of the tackles. Jones looks like there is potential but not this year - he's going to need help all year. Borom looks lost and is getting worked almost every play, and his technique falls apart quickly.

The one who surprised me the most when I look at the Texans tape was Mustipher. He blew a couple of assignments, but he was actually pretty stout. But I feel like I saw him manhandled a bit when going up against better defenses with the Packers and 49ers, so it could just be he held up against a lower talent level.

I think a lot of the stuff I saw are things that can be cleaned up over time. Its understandable as this is a new offense and the passing concepts are all new to the players, and how to block it new to the offensive line.

I think we just need to be patient with all of it. Its going to take some time to clean it all up. But I think by the back quarter of the season, things should start to feel a bit more solid.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The team lacks talent. Pretty sure there is a couple practice squad guys in the starting lineup.

I think its a testament to what the coaching staff has done.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Shouldn't pretty much every thread be football talk only by default? I guess some people just love insulting their fellow humans too much?

Sorry, not football talk! I'll be done now.

Nvan found a good way to strike a balance. I'll take it.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
@Mighty Joe Young in response to the thread, i don't think you're on target too much. We're undertalented, easily bottom 10 in the league, maybe bottom 5. Unless you thought we were like easily the worst by a long way, then i don't see how anyone could say that we've got more talent than anticipated. I personally had said going into the season that the team's lack of talent might fool some teams into not taking us too seriously, and thus our try-hard nature with some good coaching will allow us to sneak up on some teams, which i think has happened so far. We snuck up on the 9ers, got beat by a clearly superior team in the Packers and then narrowly beat a similarly un-talented Houston team.

I also agree we've got some young guys with plenty of potential that could definitely end up becoming or are steals. D. Robinson, B. Jones, Herbert, etc.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good coaching and a solid unit functioning as one, can compensate for a lack of talent against normal teams. Once they play talented and well coached teams however, (GB, Buffalo) the talent gap is more glaring.

If this team maintains its faith in the coaching staff over the next couple years and the talent pool is greatly increased, the results should follow.

Faith in good coaches is not infinite however... and dissipates with every loss that piles up.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
@Mighty Joe Young in response to the thread, i don't think you're on target too much. We're undertalented, easily bottom 10 in the league, maybe bottom 5. Unless you thought we were like easily the worst by a long way, then i don't see how anyone could say that we've got more talent than anticipated. I personally had said going into the season that the team's lack of talent might fool some teams into not taking us too seriously, and thus our try-hard nature with some good coaching will allow us to sneak up on some teams, which i think has happened so far. We snuck up on the 9ers, got beat by a clearly superior team in the Packers and then narrowly beat a similarly un-talented Houston team.

I also agree we've got some young guys with plenty of potential that could definitely end up becoming or are steals. D. Robinson, B. Jones, Herbert, etc.

Well, I am not really saying we have more talent than anticipated - we have an expansion team level roster.

But what I am saying is that there are things right now that aren't talent-related that can be cleaned up and likely will be cleaned up over the season, so going into the final stretch, the overall function and flow of the offense, particularly on passing downs, should improve even just from that.

I'm certainly not making any proclamations on this roster being any sort of playoff contender - we're far too far away from that.

This is more of a thread to let everyone know that I don't think everything is going to stay this bad in the passing game - we should see improvements as the season goes on.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Good coaching and a solid unit functioning as one, can compensate for a lack of talent against normal teams. Once they play talented and well coached teams however, (GB, Buffalo) the talent gap is more glaring.

If this team maintains its faith in the coaching staff over the next couple years and the talent pool is greatly increased, the results should follow.

Faith in good coaches is not infinite however... and dissipates with every loss that piles up.

Absolutely - I think that's why this year they are going with the game plan they have decided to go with. Its the only way for them to stack wins while being so significantly outgunned by other offenses.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Well, I am not really saying we have more talent than anticipated - we have an expansion team level roster.

But what I am saying is that there are things right now that aren't talent-related that can be cleaned up and likely will be cleaned up over the season, so going into the final stretch, the overall function and flow of the offense, particularly on passing downs, should improve even just from that.

I'm certainly not making any proclamations on this roster being any sort of playoff contender - we're far too far away from that.

This is more of a thread to let everyone know that I don't think everything is going to stay this bad in the passing game - we should see improvements as the season goes on.
The title of your thread literally contradicts the first sentence of this post. Maybe you aren't sure what you think?

Thanks for letting us know that an almost completely turned over roster, with a new coaching staff and scheme will improve throughout the year. Breathtaking stuff there

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I think that was always the case, even going into the season. We have a lot of young guys along with a new coaching staff and new scheme. There was no way (IMO) that things were ever going to go smoothly in the passing game, especially considering the lack of talent. So yea, at least me personally, i haven't seen much to be surprised about other than having hoped the passing game would look better, and specifically Fields.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
To add, I didn't think we'd be able to run the ball like we have. That's a major positive and something we can hang our hang on while (hopefully) the passing game works itself out. Theoretically it should be a big boost to the passing game.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
There are some things that get improved in the off-season and some things that you can look for improvement on a weekly basis. As far as blowing assignments in pass blocking, yes, I think we should expect weekly improvement in that area.

The person I am most interested in, right now, is ironically Whitehair. With Poles using this past off-season to purge dead weight and pricey contracts from the Pace era, I am curious as to how they project Whitehair into future plans.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
The title of your thread literally contradicts the first sentence of this post. Maybe you aren't sure what you think?

Thanks for letting us know that an almost completely turned over roster, with a new coaching staff and scheme will improve throughout the year. Breathtaking stuff there

Remember, This team is crazy talented, they just have to "clean up" some stuff which would be the exact definition of players that aren't good but since this is a Teddy thread, it makes perfect sense to no one but him.
I always thought players that can't block and can't catch and commit penalties and can't tackle were simply not good players?
So by Teddy's theories, if the Rams and Bills and Dolphins figure out how to "clean up some stuff" the league better watch out!

Because as of now, the Bears are sleeping giants!

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
MJY, I see that your slowly walking back your Jones comments. Next you'll tell us how you knew he'd be good. I'm trying to figure out who's so much better than expected on offense since the season began? Jones looked like he belonged and Jenkins was expected to be VG if healthy. The WRs haven't been involved Kmet hasn't yet played to expectations and the most important position has looked downright awful. Bears are last in YPG and 29th in TOP despite the run game. Things are looking up because you can't look down.
So this team is more talented than we think because they miss a lot of assignments and that can be coached? Interesting theory, I hope every other team in the nfl doesn't learn that concept
So many on this board have complained about the coaching not developing guys and how they should take losses and hang the rest of the players out to dry. Silly. It's the only reason we're 2-1 and it's instilling more desire and confidence in the players.

Last edited:

discplayer

Liked Posts:
As for the OL, and Borom in particular, I’m just stunned that Reiff hasn’t been utilized.

I get that the staff wants to go with and develop the younger players (who they view as having promise), Borom is really struggling, and it’s hurting the development of the most important young player on the roster.

Reiff is not a world beater anymore (never was great) but he’s solid and a savvy vet, JF and our offense needs that… I just don’t get it.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Just to make a point, since there are people here who seem to only be able to comprehend the extremes of any argument -

The only argument I am making, is that while this is still a team with an expansion level roster, the talent deficit may not be AS bad as we thought, only because there's a lot of mistakes being made as well. That doesn't mean I am saying we're a playoff roster.

If you guys need a picture, here:

[No Talent]----(Where I thought the Bears would be)-----(Where the Bears may actually be)---------(.500 level talent)-------------------------------------------------[Playoff Roster]