I still believe in Fields

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
My opinion...

- Continued focus on the run game, with more PA thrown in to keep things honest.

- Less shotgun.

- More designed rollouts.

- High percentage throws to build some rhythm.

- After some rhythm has been established, encourage him to take more deep shots, even if it means mistakes might be made.

I am a total casual fan though, so who knows what's best. I just enjoy the game and not pretending to be an expert with my super impressive resume of being a high school TE that was frankly pretty terrible at it. There are definitely more qualified people here than me to give their opinions.

Well of course I'd expect nothing less than a humble, spot on, copious, well thought out answer from you sir :)(y) Let's see if @Black Rainbow was taking notes on JF Qb development and proper utilization.

And hats off to ya
1664234500077.png

Sevendaymelee

Liked Posts:
I'm with you, it will take time but Fields will get it. He has all the tools.
So did Cutler.

It's not about tools. It's about whether or not you know how to use them. Like Cutler, Fields looks instinctive-less out there. And you can't really teach instincts. You either have them, or you don't.

Last edited:

TonyDogs

Liked Posts:
So did Cutler.

It's not about tools. It's about whether or not you know how to use them. Like Cutler, Fields looks instinctive-less out there. And you can't really teach instincts. You either have them, or you don't.
Except Cutler was a veteran at this point, Fields is essentially playing as a rookie. Like I said in another thread, once he sees himself having success he'll be fine. He needs that one breakout game. They completely changed his footwork, and he's trying to get used to the timing of it, even Eberflus said as much. Combine that with the natural frustration of a quickly collapsing offensive line and terrible receivers it's making it hard for him to trust things.

But he'll be fine... he's smart and he's a worker. The kid has been playing quarterback for over a decade... he's been to countless QB camps and has had a personal quarterback coach since he was 15. He understand concepts, timing and defenses. The system and speed is what's hanging him up, but he's a dog... he'll be ok.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
Good execution will hopefully build Fields Confidence.
To win A Super Bowl you need 15-20 Chunk plays , JF will have to hold the ? I believe the Bears ? are headed in the Right Direction ? Herberts speed at hitting the hole Haven’t not seen in 30 +yrs watching this Team

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
So did Cutler.

he has it, now it's just game speed for him.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
he has it, now it's just game speed for him.

Won't lie - I do understand some of the fan panic, even if I don't agree with some of the conclusions fans are coming to.

I'm ok with Fields making mistakes - he has to learn. But up until the last game, he always looked cool and confident.

That Texans game, he for a bit looked like he was jumping at ghosts, unsettled and a little rattled.

Emotionally, that's going to resonate with fans, even if they don't realize it.

I'm hoping on Sunday, we see a much more composed Justin Fields, like we're used to seeing.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So did Cutler.

I think the one tool that Cutler lacks was attitude. I think that he had all of the physical tools and intelligence to be an all-pro QB, could make all of the throws. But Cutler to me just didn't have the drive to win that the all-pro guys had.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Cutler was terrible at avoiding pressure. He was a carbon copy of Fields in that sense. Some guys have this sixth sense when it comes to avoiding pressure. It’s not that they’re even necessarily athletic. They just now how to slide a little and avoid pressure. Take a little step one way and the defender misses them or runs into a block. You see it every week. Some guys that aren’t really even good quarterbacks have it. Cutler would repeatedly run into sacks. It’s like there are two options. One you avoid the sack completely. The other you’re running into it. The good ones always get it right. They see it. Cutler and Fields don’t see it. They’re just guessing. They might get lucky and choose the right path that avoids the sack. They’re just as likely to pick the wrong option and run right into it.

shoez90

Liked Posts:
near the end of the game Fields rolled out and floated one that was almost picked, he had ESB near the sideline completely alone with nobody behind him and never even looked
field looks different from the pocket and linemen up your ass than from your TV screen. Every QB in the league has a tape of missed or better reads. We simply lack the ability to go "whew it wasn't pretty and we need to improve but a wins a win". Instead some feel the need to bash the shit outta their own then go why don't players with the choice come here?

Sevendaymelee

Liked Posts:
field looks different from the pocket and linemen up your ass than from your TV screen. Every QB in the league has a tape of missed or better reads. We simply lack the ability to go "whew it wasn't pretty and we need to improve but a wins a win". Instead some feel the need to bash the shit outta their own then go why don't players with the choice come here?
If a player can't handle criticism (whether fair or not), then I'm not so sure I want them on my team anyway. To be a great professional athlete, you have to have a lot of attributes, mainly mental toughness and thick skin. If you don't either, you won't amount to much--talent or no talent.

shoez90

Liked Posts:
Exactly what I was saying all day. It's almost Nagy level criminal at this point not to call the offense around getting Fields easy completions and wins and in rhythm.
Not doing so is how your ruin a young quarterback.
Or hear me out you have a great running game with way better blocking than your passing game. And and you don't want your QB killed before game seven. short passes ok but who is open in under two seconds? I don't give a fuk if some plays he has four seconds. if the DB is in the WR pocket for those four seconds it doesn't mean shit feel me? Some like to post that Stat.

shoez90

Liked Posts:
If a player can't handle criticism (whether fair or not), then I'm not so sure I want them on my team anyway. To be a great professional athlete, you have to have a lot of attributes, mainly mental toughness and thick skin. If you don't either, you won't amount to much--talent or no talent.
I'm not talking about criticism I'm talking about hating on a player constantly there's a difference. I doubt the players care alot as far as the checks don't bounce but as a fan it's annoying all the fair weather fans.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I will continue to be patient because the reality is, he is young, he does not have a full year of starts in the same system, and honestly, I tend to hold out hope for too long.

Call me a homer, but I still believe he can be very good, and it is just a matter of time till it clicks