Cubs offseason needs/ Talk

Bearsy555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This upcoming offseason is a big one for the Chicago Cubs. They are in a position to possibly add a star to the fold, something they desperately need.
What do you guys think the Cubs biggest offseason needs are?

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I think that signing a SS and ACE, and bringing up Davis and Mervis, gets them a shot at the division next year.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I hope Mervis can become a useful piece at the major league level but I am also somewhat comforted by the fact that the Cubs are not expecting for him to be their savior or even a starter.

After the frank Schwindel love by so many in 2021 I don’t wanna see more hype on a AAAA guy.

He has nice milb #’s, but is their #21 prospect according to those who know this stuff.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Biggest need?

I would guess 3B. Bogarts would be ideal

2nd would be if Jed is able to bring back Contreras

3rd Mavris at 1B. Jed should pull the trigger vs holding his clock. Rather pointless at this point.

Ace I don't think they need that.

As is:

Hendricks
Stroman
Steele
Thompson
Wesneski

The reality is Hayden has the same persona that Hendricks and Maddux had. A nasty slider and the ability to generate outs when the slider is not there so ace? I think we might have that in the deck.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope Mervis can become a useful piece at the major league level but I am also somewhat comforted by the fact that the Cubs are not expecting for him to be their savior or even a starter.

After the frank Schwindel love by so many in 2021 I don’t wanna see more hype on a AAAA guy.

He has nice milb #’s, but is their #21 prospect according to those who know this stuff.
Night and day comparison. Schwindel was/is a minor league player for years.

Mervis was looked over during Covid times and wasnt even drafted. Lost development by Covid and doesnt have good but eye popping numbers this year. He hasnt seen any type of this competition before and he destroyed it.

He is going to play first for us next year. These are the type of players teams need to hit on to be the Dodgers ala Muncy and Turner.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Biggest need - @CSF77 to replace Hoyer
Seriously.

Imagine if you landed Judge and Ohtani and Rodon?!

Don’t you think you would sell about the same number of home tickets, and finish third or fourth still?

Long ways to go in this “rebuild.” No guarantee you ever come out the other side. That’s why I hate these tear downs.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Seriously.

Imagine if you landed Judge and Ohtani and Rodon?!

Don’t you think you would sell about the same number of home tickets, and finish third or fourth still?

Long ways to go in this “rebuild.” No guarantee you ever come out the other side. That’s why I hate these tear downs.
We had the second most wins against .500 teams and higher, since the all star break. We are likely going to win the division next year if we sign an ACE and a SS. Our win pace in the second half was 87 wins. Have to remember our first half our entire pitching staff was hurt.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
We had the second most wins against .500 teams and higher, since the all star break. We are likely going to win the division next year if we sign an ACE and a SS. Our win pace in the second half was 87 wins. Have to remember our first half our entire pitching staff was hurt.

Hoerner ranks top 7 in fWAR and DEF in all of MLB. Most SS on the market are a over all downgrade. Except Swanson. He is top 2. Right now.

So if you are talking moving Hoerner back to 2B I ask why? He is better than Javy was there. Except for SO and HR. Javy was good there

CSF77

Liked Posts:
To add. Right now the Cubs are in a.good place up the middle. Injury has been the hick up but Jed has already addressed that this season. The problems are at 3B and 1B. And it is to be expected. Jed really had nothing in the tank internally. He drafted up the middle types for years and lately pitching. Marvis was dumb luck that he exploded this year. Not on anyone's radar.

So ya 3B is a issue. I like Bote and Morel. But they are bench players at best. Wisdom doesn't belong on a contender.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I have said it a million times as have others on this board. You sign a shortstop and have them play third.
Hoerner ranks top 7 in fWAR and DEF in all of MLB. Most SS on the market are a over all downgrade. Except Swanson. He is top 2. Right now.

So if you are talking moving Hoerner back to 2B I ask why? He is better than Javy was there. Except for SO and HR. Javy was good there

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
To add. Right now the Cubs are in a.good place up the middle. Injury has been the hick up but Jed has already addressed that this season. The problems are at 3B and 1B. And it is to be expected. Jed really had nothing in the tank internally. He drafted up the middle types for years and lately pitching. Marvis was dumb luck that he exploded this year. Not on anyone's radar.

So ya 3B is a issue. I like Bote and Morel. But they are bench players at best. Wisdom doesn't belong on a contender.
I hope the cubs eat botes contract and release him. He's terrible

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I have said it a million times as have others on this board. You sign a shortstop and have them play third.
FA SS will want to stay at SS. In order to sign and move to 3rd you need someone willing.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Boegarts at 3rd gives you some offense but not much pop for a 3rd baseman.

Very good OPS but we will need some HR power on the team.

Where’s it going to come from?

I like Boegarts and Hoerner in the middle. But what 3rd base options elsewhere?

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Boegarts at 3rd gives you some offense but not much pop for a 3rd baseman.

Very good OPS but we will need some HR power on the team.

Where’s it going to come from?

I like Boegarts and Hoerner in the middle. But what 3rd base options elsewhere?

He has been at or over 130 OPS+ sense 2018. 19 had 33 HR. 23 last year.

He fits as a 3B. You don't need 40 hr to justify 3B

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Let's say they got Bogaerts. Add Mervis. And resign Contreras. The line up would be RH heavy. That point you would want a DH that could balance the line up.

Regardless Jed has work to do. If the signs are showing spend he really needs to make a impactful addition