Bears trade for Claypool

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Except it's not likely...at all. The bears lose just about every conceivable tie-breaker because of strength of schedule. To put it an other way, the bears could lose every single game the rest of the way and still not secure a top 5 pick. There's alot of bad to mediocre football teams this year.
And that’s fair. But it doesn’t change that you could have traded for Claypool or a similar caliber WR in the off-season or just wait until this upcoming off season.

I don’t love or hate this because it does get Justin much needed help but the move just feels like an over reaction and a panic move that Pace would have done.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
and you can also say that they basically gave up a mid-second rounder for Claypool.

Adding or subtracting picks to what it actually will end up can make it a good or a bad trade.
But my point is whether or not you want to call it a high 2nd rounder or a mid 2nd rounder you probably could have gotten a similar WR for less before or after this season.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
And that’s fair. But it doesn’t change that you could have traded for Claypool or a similar caliber WR in the off-season or just wait until this upcoming off season.

I don’t love or hate this because it does get Justin much needed help but the move just feels like an over reaction and a panic move that Pace would have done.
Why do you think players are cheaper in the offseason? This past offseason showed wr trade value going through the roof.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Why do you think players are cheaper in the offseason? This past offseason showed wr trade value going through the roof.
Because teams making a push feel the pressure to make a move. Players get hurt. It’s just the nature of the trade dead line.

I’m not sure CMC would have netted Carolina what they got from SF in the off-season, but Shannahan felt this was a move they needed to make to take the next step.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Poles already showed that LB is not a priority. Look for LBer after the first round.
Poles talked about off ball LB's like smith not being a priority in the grand scheme of it all but theres no guarantee that morrow is back at MLB so if there is a guy there whos on the same level as other talents, he should also be in the mix.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I don't think that it is an over reaction but rather a way to keep Fields on a good growth curve for the rest of the season.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

They did not have as many draft picks this offseason and Claypool would be gone this offseason as he would be a Packer.

So who are you referring to? If Claypool is worth a 2nd then DJ Moore and Higgins likely garner a 1st or a 2nd and more.

Also you pay a bit more in season because the trading team eats more of the salary because they accounted for it already while the other team did not. Thus the Bears ate salary for Quan and Quinn. However the deadline to eat salary was Monday so Bears assumed all of Claypool's salary so the comp is closer to the offseason comp as they did not get salary relief from the trading team.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So why do we hate this trade ?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
But my point is whether or not you want to call it a high 2nd rounder or a mid 2nd rounder you probably could have gotten a similar WR for less before or after this season.
That's just factually incorrect. This last off season, I find 2 WR's traded with 1 year left on their rookie contract with similar #'s in their 1st 2 seasons.

AJ Brown---------- 122/2126/19 17.4 YPR: Traded for picks 18 and 101

Marquise Brown- 114/1353/15 11.9YPR: Traded along with after 3rd rnd com pick for 23rd pick. Draft value chart makes it equal to giving up the 28th OV for MB.

Chase Claypool--121/1733/11 14.3YPR: Traded for currently 44th, likely range 38 -50.

So please give any example of a comparable player gotten for less. If anything, having his stats plateau with the ghost of Ben Rapeherburger and Trubisky, Pickett may have caused him to be sold cheap.

Liked Posts:
Claypool is a day 1 starter and will be 25 next year.

This trade made my day. I wanted Pace to draft Claypool and KMet with both of his 2nd round picks.

I liked Smith bit the idea of giving a 4-3 WILL LB 20 million per when the Bears are even yet to address the most vital LB position on the roster at the MIKE to me isn't a very bright notion.

Especially knowing that any GM worth any salt should be able to find a legitimate Lance Briggs type 4-3 WILL LB somewhere within rounds 3 -5.

Plus I like that Claypool isn't just a short term bandaid trade. Claypool, Venus & Mooney suddenly doesn't look so bad at WR moving forward.

Now if we could finally get us a true wreaking ball CENTER in the draft the Bears just might have a legitimate core of players to gel with on offense looking to next season.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I already saw a shrink and he said to tell you to stop spending so much time on your knees. So stop spending so much time on your knees. Damn i feel better now.
You know, I really don’t get caught up in y’all’s drama. Pretty much just tune it out. But this one was terrible. A complete dud. Bad enough for me to actually comment on it.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
They did not have as many draft picks this offseason and Claypool would be gone this offseason as he would be a Packer.

So who are you referring to? If Claypool is worth a 2nd then DJ Moore and Higgins likely garner a 1st or a 2nd and more.

Also you pay a bit more in season because the trading team eats more of the salary because they accounted for it already while the other team did not. Thus the Bears ate salary for Quan and Quinn. However the deadline to eat salary was Monday so Bears assumed all of Claypool's salary so the comp is closer to the offseason comp as they did not get salary relief from the trading team.
I’m not referring to anybody specifically. If you wanted Claypool specifically yes the deal has to be done now. But I don’t specifically want or need Claypool. I’m simply saying you could have landed a comparable player for probably less in the off season, as you even pointed out you do pay more for in season trades.

And the salary “relief” for Pittsburg is minimal at best as he’s on his rookie deal and not a 1st rounder.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
That's just factually incorrect. This last off season, I find 2 WR's traded with 1 year left on their rookie contract with similar #'s in their 1st 2 seasons.

AJ Brown---------- 122/2126/19 17.4 YPR: Traded for picks 18 and 101

Marquise Brown- 114/1353/15 11.9YPR: Traded along with after 3rd rnd com pick for 23rd pick. Draft value chart makes it equal to giving up the 28th OV for MB.

Chase Claypool--121/1733/11 14.3YPR: Traded for currently 44th, likely range 38 -50.

So please give any example of a comparable player gotten for less. If anything, having his stats plateau with the ghost of Ben Rapeherburger and Trubisky, Pickett may have caused him to be sold cheap.
Amari Copper is on pace for 1000 yards and 10 TDs and got moved this past off season for a 5th and a 6th. He’s 28 years old.

Devantae Parker and Claypool have virtually identical stats this season with similar shitty QB play and Parker cost NE a 3rd round pick.

Last edited:

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Here's a great example (2014 draft)shown within the same draft multiple times within the first round how strength of schedule can bite you in the draft order.

1) Houston Texans, 2-14 (.559)
2) St. Louis Rams (via Washington 3)Redskins), 3-13 (.516)
4)Jacksonville Jaguars, 4-12 (.504)
5)Cleveland Browns, 4-12 (.516)
6)Oakland Raiders, 4-12 (.523)
7)Atlanta Falcons, 4-12 (.553)
8)Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 4-12 (.574)
9)Minnesota Vikings, 5-10-1 (.512)
10)Buffalo Bills, 6-10 (.520)
11)Detroit Lions, 7-9 (.457)
12)Tennessee Titans, 7-9 (.504)
13)New York Giants, 7-9 (.520)
14)St. Louis Rams, 7-9 (.551)
15)Chicago Bears, 8-8 (.465)
16)Pittsburgh Steelers, 8-8 (.469)
17)Baltimore Ravens, 8-8 (.484) or Dallas 18)Cowboys, 8-8 (.484)
19)New York Jets, 8-8 (.488)
20)Miami Dolphins, 8-8 (.523)

5 teams finished 4-12. The difference between pick 4 and pick 8. That's massive in terms of value.

3 teams finished 7-9. The difference between pick 12 and 14.

And 6 teams finished 8-8. The difference between pick 15 and 20.

The bears as it stands now are on the bottom end of everyone of these scenarios and like the 2013 season, there's a lot of these types of teams this year.
That’s the year Aaron Donald went to the Rams One pick ahead of the Bears. I was really pissed. I knew Donald was a stud. Emery didn’t trade up to get him. A fourth could’ve gotten him. Fuck Emery.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Amari Copper is on pace for 1000 yards and 10 TDs and got moved this past off season for a 5th and a 6th. He’s 28 years old.

Devantae Parker and Claypool have virtually identical stats this season with similar shitty QB play and Parker cost NE a 3rd round pick.
Cooper is 28yo, cost $20M the next 2 seasons, and quit on his team so much so they dumped him for peanuts.
Parker will be 30 yo by seasons end and has only put up 800 yards once in 8 seasons.

Neither are a piece for either team moving forward and are among the oldest WR's in the NFL, not even remotely similar.