What could be...

Bust

Liked Posts:
After so many years of the Bears being a mediocre team that lost close, low-scoring games, it's really nice to have them be a mediocre team that loses close, high-scoring games!

All kidding aside there really is reason to be hopeful.

#drool

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know it well enough - but Poles himself said that the Claypool move was made in part because they were looking ahead to the FA and Draft classes and decided it would be better to make the move for Claypool essentially (paraphrasing here).

Don't know how you take what Poles said on the subject and don't consider that they themselves believe that the quality is not so good for this upcoming draft - at least where they would end up picking a WR up if they did. I think pass rush is the #1 need.
This is why people make fun you

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Justin Fields looking like our answer. Finally.

Strong running game.

Some young talent in the secondary, even though it didn't show up today.

The foundation of having an actual NFL starting WR/TE group.

Santos is money.

And we've got $110m in cap space and 8 draft picks to address the holes. Fixing the pass rush is my new #1.

I don't think I've ever felt this good after a loss. Pinch me.
Agree with you on all this.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
After so many years of the Bears being a mediocre team that lost close, low-scoring games, it's really nice to have them be a mediocre team that loses close, high-scoring games!

All kidding aside there really is reason to be hopeful.
As I've said before, I used to be a Texans fan. They never had a QB the entire time I was a fan up until Deshaun Watson. I've seen more horrible quarterback play watching that shithole of a franchise trot out a sorry ass QB to last a lifetime. That game on Sunday truly felt like when Watson started breaking out his rookie season. Just a super fun experience and one of those times where you're like "oh my god, our team finally has a QB". I can't wait to see the Packers go through what every other franchise has to experience when you don't have a good QB. The Colts (who were in a similar situation to GB) are finding that out the hard way now. Hopefully the Packers soon are in a similar position of trotting out garbage QBs year after year.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sign Payne DT, Conklin RT, McCoy C, JuJu Smith WR(possession receiver)

Can they afford all of them....no idea, I'm not a cap guy, Payne would definitely be on top of radar, McCoy at Center as well. At least them two

Liked Posts:

Strong running game.

Santos is money.

And we've got $110m in cap space and 8 draft picks to address the holes. Fixing the pass rush is my new #1.

I don't think I've ever felt this good after a loss. P've been doing daily ritual raindances to the football Gods in hopes that Tremaine Edmunds is able to his free agency with the Bill's having Josh Allen's massive extension set to kick in after this season.
I've been doing daily rituals and raindances to the football Gods in hopes that Tremaine Edmunds hits the open market this off-season with Josh Allen's massive extension set to kick in after this season on a Bill's team with ALOT of talent to financially hold down

We're seeing more and more teams just let their premiere free agents walk still I'm their mid 20s. I don't think I've wanted to see a potential free agent land in Chicago more than I do with Edmunds. Not even Peppers.

Normally I like to gage the young defenders in the draft, but this time around I've been falling off from all of the daily rituals an Voodoo for idiots books.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Sign Payne DT, Conklin RT, McCoy C, JuJu Smith WR(possession receiver)

Can they afford all of them....no idea, I'm not a cap guy, Payne would definitely be on top of radar, McCoy at Center as well. At least them two
They can afford them all. Mccoy isn't a FA though

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I agree. Let Mooney and Claypool be your x and z wide receivers all year next year.

Sign a good free agent wide receiver in the second wave of free agency who can compete for the spot that St Brown, pettis, and Pringle are rotating through.
Despite the drops, I’d lean towards keeping ESB and, maybe, Pringle (still tbd because he hasn’t played) due to their blocking. Keeping ESB as a solid role player is better because not all WRs block as well as he does. Pettis’ skill set (start laughing now) is far easier to replace and improve upon.

The Doctor

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
Yes but that secondary can’t be ignored. Very disappointing performance from JJ today
With next to no pass rush, no secondary in the league could have done much better, which is why the draft and/or FA priority #1 should be Edge, 3tech. The Bears have to get massively better up front on defense. Otherwise it won't matter how good Fields and the offense get if they have to try to win shootouts every week. I remember the Chargers with Dan Fouts and the "Air Coryell" offense scoring a ton of points and winning a lot of games but ultimately, when playoff time came, not so much because their defense was bad.

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:
I still think patiently building up the offense is the play. Even if the D is poor again next season.

Don't try to fix everything in one offseason.

If Fields is the guy, we have a pretty big window here.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Despite the drops, I’d lean towards keeping ESB and, maybe, Pringle (still tbd because he hasn’t played) due to their blocking. Keeping ESB as a solid role player is better because not all WRs block as well as he does. Pettis’ skill set (start laughing now) is far easier to replace and improve upon.
Pettis is the best of the lot.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
What FA WR are you going to overpay this year? 2023 is going to be a crappy year for FA WRs.
You aren't going to get much in FA for a WR, thats why the Claypool trade happened. It was a smart move.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:

Strong running game.

Santos is money.

I don't think I've ever felt this good after a loss. Pinch me.
Its also not unheard of that a team goes from last place to the superbowl one year to the next.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
You aren't going to get much in FA for a WR, thats why the Claypool trade happened. It was a smart move.
I was asking a rhetorical question to someone who said that the Bears were going to address their WR situation in free agency, not by the draft nor by a trade.

I have no problems with the Claypool pick, though it was a bit high, but that is the price of doing business.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I’m game. How so? What am I missing?

It really is a mixed bag.

While none of the WRs other than Mooney have very reliable hands (excluding Claypool since he just got here), Pettis seems to have the best hands of the rest, followed by Harry and then St Brown. But St Brown is our best blocking WR, followed by Harry with Pettis the lowest on that list.

It's why the WR corps room is a mixed bag. I think you can find upgrades across the board, and don't need to keep any of them.

Go into next season with Mooney and Claypool, and keep Jones Jr buried on the depth chart until he figures it out or is out of contract.

Pick up some more reliable WRs in FA in the offseason.

Only wildcard is Pringle - but he can't stay healthy long enough to see what we have in him, although from what limited action I've seen, he's closer to St Brown in terms of hands and blocking.