If the bears own the 4th pick in the draft...

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We've been very (un?) fortunate to be in this position. I suspect games we aren't horribly overmatched in may
break the other way and even out a bit, dropping us in the draft. Of course I wouldn't mind staying on this path as long as the games are fun and the balancing out comes next year.

The Doctor

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
I like my idea better (all green text because it would never happen, but I can dream).

1. The Bears end up with the 4th pick in the draft.
  2. Poles goes all Draft Day after hearing that Aaron Rodgers has one more tiff with the Packers GM and says that he is going to relax and take the Packers money for two more years without even trying to play because he holds all the cards, and the Packers cannot cut nor trade him with his huge salary hit.
    1. Poles calls up the Packers GM Brian Gutenkunst (the young GM in Draft Day) and shows him how he, Poles, can get Brian out of that situation.
      1. He shows Brian that the Bears are the only team who can take on Rodgers' salary, but it is going to cost him ... a lot.
      2. He BSs Brian by saying that it is time for Love to shine as QB, and Gutenkunst falls for it.
      3. Brian Gutenkunst, seeing that it is the only chance of keeping his job agrees to trade a 1st and 2nd round pick in both 2023 and 2024 for Rodgers.
      4. The Packers redo Rodgers' contract, which he readily agrees to because he will get his 100 million right away, instead of waiting two years to get it. He will also get to leave Green Bay.
      5. The Bears agree to pay 80 million of Rodgers' salary, the Packers eating 20 million.
    2. Poles calls up Jim Irsay, bypassing Chris Ballard, because he knows that Irsay often does stupid things without consulting or overruling Ballard, like the Jeff Saturday hire.
      1. He tells him that he has a future Hall-of-fame QB that he can trade him, but it is going to cost him a lot.
      2. He says that it will cost the Colts a 1st and a 2nd in both 2023 and 2024. Irsay balks at the price.
        1. After Irsay consults with people in the know about Rodgers' career, he calls back and says he wants to make the deal.
          1. Poles again goes all Draft Day and tells him that the deal was for the previous call and no longer is on the table.
            1. Irsay starts crying, wanting Rodgers to be his QB in 2023.
            2. Poles said that it is going to cost him more.
              1. He wants the Colts 1st and 2nd round picks in both 2023 and 2024.
              2. He wants the Colts to pay 20 million of Rodgers' salary and ...
              3. He wants a player ...
                1. Flus says ... DeForest Buckner.
              4. Irsay agrees to that.
              5. Buckners contract does not have to be redone because there is no more guaranteed money. His cost will be around 19 million per year for 2 years.
      3. Poles pays 60 million of Rodgers' salary hit and 18 for Buckner in 2023, still having around 41 million in cap space to address other needs.
      4. Poles ends up with 3 first rounders and 3 second rounders in 2023 and 2024 (one of each is their own).
      5. Poles then has the choice of getting two king's ransoms (because the Packers' pick is also top 10), one king's ransom and one top DE or 3 Tech or two top players, knowing that the Bears will get at least one top 10 pick from the Packers in 2024 because, well, Love is their QB.
      6. He can fill additional needs with the 3 2nd-round picks in 2023 and top it off with 6 picks in the top 60 in 2024.
      7. He can play the trade down for one or two king's ransoms for years, seeing that he now has his franchise QB.

Just a dream, but it sure would be nice.
JoJo you are a genius! You've just outlined my next novel. All I have to do is figure out who kills who and why. Bang! Bestseller.
Thanks.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
JoJo you are a genius! You've just outlined my next novel. All I have to do is figure out who kills who and why. Bang! Bestseller.
Thanks.
Might I suggest that the victims be the Kennedys?

Then the who (not The Who) would be ...
I Shouted out "Who killed the Kennedys?"
When after all... it was you and me
The why is all on you. I can't do all the work.

I do expect to get a little "thank you" once your novel hits the Bestseller list.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
One if the top two QBs is available and nobody wants to trade for the pick? Ummm…ok.
It's not about wanting it's about if the trade is worth it for both parties.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Center, 3T, and WR are this teams biggest needs. You can switch the order any way you want but there is no way you take a center with the 4th pick. So unless there is a WR or 3T that can help the team right now a trade down is the best bet. The Bears need an upgrade everywhere (except quarterback and maybe running back) so the more picks Poles has the better the odds of finding starter caliber players.
DE is right up there.

Liked Posts:
Johnson is a good player, but is he #4 draft pick worthy? I don’t think he’s a top 4 draft pick IMO, and if he is taken #4, bears better hit on him being a pro bowler to justify/make it worth the pick
Personally I think he will continue to shoot up the boards when all is said and done. If Bryce Young or Anderson are on the board take either.

If neither are on the board and Quentin isn't worth the 4th then move back. The game has changed since the 2011 CBA. The days of 30 year old vets dominating the league while rookies sit are long gone. In this era we have first round grades seeping into the 3rd round.

What baffles me most with Johnston is how he tends to dissappear against lesser competition, but suddenly GOES OFF against all of the toughest competition on TCUs schedule.

I'd love to have him in Chicago in any manner.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Thats not necessarily true (GM needs to be fired). To use an old cliche, it takes 2 to tango. Just because 1 team holds a QB in high regard doesn't mean that other teams feel the same way.

The 2 QB's at the top of the board this year are rather polarizing:
  • Stroud appears to have all the tools but struggles greatly under pressure AND does he fall into the standard Ohio State QB's suck in the NFL - (same criticism that Fields has faced)
  • Young has questions around his size and potential durability. He would be the smallest starting QB in the NFL by quite a bit, would he last past the first contract.
So, should the Bears be able to trade back if they are at #4 and either Stroud or Young is available, yes, I believe they should (again depending on what they can get). But I also wouldn't be surprised if no one wants to pay what the asking price is (knowing that Chicago isn't going to take a QB and neither is Philly who should have a top 5 pick from the Saints) and take their chances that a QB drops (or are in love with another QB like Levis or Maye).
You're addressing it as though there s only one other QB needy team, and they don't hold any QB in high enough regard to draft them at #4.

There are several QB needy teams, and they need to look at it as Stroud/Young at #4 or someone who won't be "the guy" in the NFL. They may not love the idea of giving up picks, but they are where they are and they need a QB, so yes, every GM in that situation realizes someone will do it.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It's not about wanting it's about if the trade is worth it for both parties.
The situation that was presented was that no GM would want to trade (at all) for a Top 2 QB in this year's draft. It wasn't that a specific trade was presented which was one-sided. It was that no GM would want to get a QB at 4 in this draft, while draft experts have CJ Stroud and Bryce Young as the Top 2 players on the board.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Without even considering others, which player of Young, Stroud, Will Anderson and Jalen Carter would QJ replace in the Top 4?

He may be a highly touted prospect but I can't see him going ahead of any of those guys.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
I like Quentin Johnston alot. Usually I am biased towards defenders and I like Trenton Simpson ALOT. However the more I look at Simpson the more I think he slides into round 2. I'm not even sure there's an off the ball LB worth taking in round 1, let alone top 10.

There's ALOT of good 3 techniques throughout this class so we don't need to burn a top pick on a 3 TECHNIQUE DT. Quentin Johnston will be a strong BPA candidate when the Bears pick and will give the Bears one of the most potent WR corps in the league.

One that suddenly has ALOT of speed and SIZE. Draft Quentin in round 1 and A REAL CENTER later. Then use the rest of the picks and the 100 something million in cap space to shore up the defense suddenly take a significant step towards a Bears roster worth talking about as a potential long term contender.
If Jalen Carter is on the board, I don’t know how you could pass on him. At this point in time, I’m certainly not taking Johnston over Carter or Anderson lol.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Without even considering others, which player of Young, Stroud, Will Anderson and Jalen Carter would QJ replace in the Top 4?

He may be a highly touted prospect but I can't see him going ahead of any of those guys.
Exactly. I’d take Fashanu before QJ.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
The situation that was presented was that no GM would want to trade (at all) for a Top 2 QB in this year's draft. It wasn't that a specific trade was presented which was one-sided. It was that no GM would want to get a QB at 4 in this draft, while draft experts have CJ Stroud and Bryce Young as the Top 2 players on the board.
"If so and no one bites do you draft said QB (shroud or young)to call them out on their bluff for not reaching an AGREEMENT?"