‘Workout freak’ Jared Allen still has productivity left at 32

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ra's al Ghul

Stuck in the Lazarus Pit
Liked Posts:
http://q.usatoday.com/2014/03/26/workout-freak-jared-allen-still-has-productivity-left-at-32/

usatsi_7557031.jpg

Jared Allen turns 32 years old next week and seemingly has played every snap of his 10-year NFL career. But the veteran pass rusher has some productivity left – even if the odds may be against him playing out the four-year contract he signed Wednesday with the Chicago Bears.

“He’s not finished,” one NFL personnel man who studied Allen recently told USA TODAY Sports, speaking on condition of anonymity for competitive reasons.

The personnel man said Allen, a “workout freak” who takes care of his body, likely will be able to battle Father Time more than others and pointed out he was productive even in front of some ugly Minnesota Vikings secondaries.

Allen had a 22-sack season – a half-sack shy of Michael Strahan’s single-season NFL record – on a Vikings team that went 3-13 in 2011.

He added 12 sacks in 2012 and 11½ in 2013, extending his streak to seven consecutive seasons in double-digits and giving him 128½ for his career, four shy of matching Leslie O’Neal and Lawrence Taylor for 10th on the all-time list.

“I think (he has) a year or two (left),” the NFL personnel man said. “He’s out for one thing.”

Another NFL personnel man said Allen “can still play” and must be accounted for by opposing coordinators, though he’s not the same player he was and shouldn’t be on the field for 70 snaps a game anymore.

Considering how Allen fought against coming off the field in Minnesota, managing his playing time – and keeping him fresher – is one task facing a Bears coaching staff that may have to do that with other defensive players, too.

The signing of Allen gives them eight defensive players aged 30 and over: linebackers Lance Briggs and D.J. Williams, defensive tackles Israel Idonije and Jeremiah Ratliff and cornerbacks Charles Tillman, Tim Jennings and Kelvin Hayden.

All except Briggs signed this offseason, though only three – Jennings (four years, $19.4 million), Ratliff (two years, $3.75 million) and now Allen (four years, $32 million, per The Associated Press) – received multiyear pacts.

The Bears also cut 34-year-old end Julius Peppers and signed 26-year-old defensive tackle Lamarr Houston to a five-year, $35 million deal. Two other starting defensive linemen, Henry Melton (Dallas) and Corey Wootton (Minnesota), are gone as well.

It’s not the same old group that finished 30th in yards allowed and 32nd against the run in 2013. But the Bears are showing no urge to blow things up and roll with a young unit, either, one year after their talented skill group on offense carried them to 8-8 in coach Marc Trestman’s debut.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think he's gone after two years

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pretty interesting to see after all the talk by Emery of the Bears getting younger this offseason on defense...they, well, really didn't.

Sentinel

Liked Posts:
Yeah, four years means we'll probably be shipping him out gladly like we did Peppers just this year.

But let's hope that the couple years between now and then is worth it. Allen's a great stop-gap guy, as many posters here stated the last few weeks. We will definitely need to find our franchise pass rusher somehow sooner or later, but Allen will make the wait much more bearable.

We'll need to get lucky with late-round guys, because we'll never be in position for the top pass rushers with the Bears. Our bad years still tend to be mediocre, drafting 14th.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pretty interesting to see after all the talk by Emery of the Bears getting younger this offseason on defense...they, well, really didn't.

as it has been stated many times you really don't get younger with FA...you can get better though. Wait to see what they do in the draft.....

getting younger for younger's sake is not the point. They wanted to get better. again wait for the draft. If they go mostly defense...they are trying to get younger on D....those guys will be the future starters.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

They got bigger, and you see us closer to getting younger based on contract structure. Allen is Peppers replacement. 2 years younger and potentially more effective. Only guy in his class actually for career production. Consdiering we also get Houston and Young for about the same money as Peppers, its a win.

Izzy is back because he can play DT, wants to be here to finish his career, and is cheap, and big and durable. We now have 4 DE's plus the young Washington, and 2 of them can play DT legitimately.

We got louder, with talkers Allen and Willie Young.

We have to be happy about the shape of the defense as it transitions for the next 3 years. The only questions I have is the future of MLB, Safety, and what happens with Tillman. Likely there isn't any money left for much, even signing our own moving forward.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
as it has been stated many times you really don't get younger with FA...you can get better though. Wait to see what they do in the draft.....

getting younger for younger's sake is not the point. They wanted to get better. again wait for the draft. If they go mostly defense...they are trying to get younger on D....those guys will be the future starters.

You can though(Peppers for Houston/Young etc). Emery saying that he was going to make the team younger through the draft is kind a "well duh" comment though so not sure why he needed to go and make a point of it. I guess if Ted Thomson told me the Packers were going to get younger I'd be looking for him to do it in FA because every NFL team gets younger via the draft b/c that's not really an "objective" so much as a reality as a function of the age of the players being chosen.

Unless I'm missing all the 31 year olds available in the draft pool teams are passing on.

Last edited:

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
There are always those that complain on this forum not matter what happens.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
They got bigger, and you see us closer to getting younger based on contract structure. Allen is Peppers replacement. 2 years younger and potentially more effective. Only guy in his class actually for career production. Consdiering we also get Houston and Young for about the same money as Peppers, its a win.

Izzy is back because he can play DT, wants to be here to finish his career, and is cheap, and big and durable. We now have 4 DE's plus the young Washington, and 2 of them can play DT legitimately.

We got louder, with talkers Allen and Willie Young.

We have to be happy about the shape of the defense as it transitions for the next 3 years. The only questions I have is the future of MLB, Safety, and what happens with Tillman. Likely there isn't any money left for much, even signing our own moving forward.

Did I miss the bigger/louder objectives that Emery spoke of?

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
What do you guys think is the expectation level for our previous wave of younger guys: Bostic, Greene and Washington? We know what they expect out of Shea

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Imagine that, an NFL player that works out? I never heard of that before

I think this is your last opportunity to post the video of Peppers' workout. You might want to jump on that before it slips away.

Sentinel

Liked Posts:
Most players don't enter free agency when they're in their early 20's so it's actually impossible to get noticeably younger through FA.

Free agents tend to be nearing 30. You get a few guys who are 28, but also fetch the highest price tag.

Except TJ Ward, damnit!

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
You can though(Peppers for Houston/Young etc). Emery saying that he was going to make the team younger through the draft is kind a "well duh" comment though so not sure why he needed to go and make a point of it. I guess if Ted Thomson told me the Packers were going to get younger I'd be looking for him to do it in FA because every NFL team gets younger via the draft so that's not really an "objective" so much as a reality as a function of the age of the players being chosen.

Unless I'm missing all the 31 year olds available in the draft pool teams are passing on.

You can call BS on it if we don't draft a significant ampunt of defensive players......

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

Beat me to it. They let the younger Wootten go, in order to bring in Idonije to fill a role that could've been filled by Wootten on a multi-year contract. They release Peppers to get Allen, who I guess is technically younger. I find it funny they let the young guys walk to re-sign or sign new old guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.