#1 pick

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The rebuild timeline and strategy has definitely changed now landing bedard. Do they try to suck again next year? Maybe. Or start adding pieces around him to help develop him. Some of those high draft picks might be used to trade for players now instead of drafting them. Interesting to see what they do. I feel only wrong thing they can do is not draft bedard

I don't see much advantage to putting him against against men more than 10 games next year unless Kane agrees to come back.
Then again what is the point to his amassing 100 points against amateurs?

The Hawks will know what to do with him and have signaled extra care toward prospects ever since they rushed Dach and got nothing out out of the experience. But Bedard has very few skills to work on.

Is there a next level he can go to like London Knights to progress and still play 10 NHL games next year?
I'm sure the AHL refs would protect him too. They seemed to love that route for Reichel.

I think its worth reconsidering the Toews decision if he will take a big pay cut. We have all the draft picks we need for 3 years already to fill the lines up and Bedard ensures us the top canine bite will be there.

The rebuild was already looking good and has now been gifted merit. Like if the Los Angeles Kings had gotten Zegras or Hughes they would be extremely dangerous there at the end of Doughty's road.

I don't know if anyone else had the pleasure to witness the level Doughty brought to the playoffs this year but that guy is a legend. Good team they just never found their Crosby, Bedard, Kane, McDavid or they would have sent Edmonton packing.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As for Fantilli...

Great prospect. Nice attributes w/ intangibles. I would have taken Caarlson over him and I don't even consider it over Bedard.

Ya'll need to research the history of the Hobey Baker award winner and realize that path hasn't been as predictive of success as Bedards. They had a overloaded line with 3 top ten draft picks and more NHL players behind them and didn't even win.

Bedards toe drag is insane. His hands are insane. His release is varied and insane.
All he needs to do is soak in some testosterone baths for a while and maybe spend a couple more summers as a lumberjack.
Actually Bedard and the young Soccer player Haaland share that experience and are tougher than they look.

You take the sure thing, especially because we have been drafting good skating big bodies already and need a finisher. Fantilli is a nice piece to any rebuild but Bedard is a final puzzle piece to a championship team.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
If Davidson can manage to move back into top five holeeeee sheet

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Where are you hearing that?

I'm for sure looking at our 4 second round picks as an opportunity to move up from 32, but from 21 to 5 for the Russian? Damn that will be expensive...I'd wait to see if he falls to 10 or 12...its a risk we can take. Maybe Benson falls. Maybe Smith.

I'd rather pick #1, #19, #32, and then see how high we can jump up with a Tampa 2024 first and the 3 later seconds. Come out with 4 1st round picks. One sure thing is enough for me, and then stick to our quantity game at value unless the Russian or Benson/Smith really fell out of the top 10....make a move.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
That's going to take an awful lot.

You are giving up probably the 19, two second rounders, and the Hawks 24 first unprotected.

And even if you could swindle out say top three protection your looking at losing out on the Misa sweepstakes in 25 and he's on the same tier as Bedard.

Long story short, nobody is giving up a top five pick this year without bending the Hawks over.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Where are you hearing that?

I'm for sure looking at our 4 second round picks as an opportunity to move up from 32, but from 21 to 5 for the Russian? Damn that will be expensive...I'd wait to see if he falls to 10 or 12...its a risk we can take. Maybe Benson falls. Maybe Smith.

I'd rather pick #1, #19, #32, and then see how high we can jump up with a Tampa 2024 first and the 3 later seconds. Come out with 4 1st round picks. One sure thing is enough for me, and then stick to our quantity game at value unless the Russian or Benson/Smith really fell out of the top 10....make a move.
Michkov isn't falling. He doesn't get past Washington if he did fall. Chances are he's going fourth or fifth.

Smith isn't falling after that tournament he just dominated.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Michkov isn't falling. He doesn't get past Washington if he did fall. Chances are he's going fourth or fifth.

Smith isn't falling after that tournament he just dominated.

All the more reason its unrealistic to trade into top 5. Nobody is going to give up the sweet candy at the top of this draft. If they feel there is high value in going from 21 to 10 they can do that, or 32 to 25. Or 51 to 40.

Its more likely as you said Benson could fall and we could move up to 10-12 to get a 17 year old who can score and be perfect for a scoring third line someday.

The question is where does this draft get lean? Trust your evaluation in its depth and consider moving up a few spots if it matters alot. We haven't even maximized our salary cap or Murphy/Stallock/Vlasic type picks yet and they have all kinds of ammo saved up for 3 years. Its overkill and some movement would be expected.

Unless we really are hell bent on winning the AHL....no reason not to convert some of these future guys into a more premium piece we covet.

Last edited:

KBIB

Liked Posts:
All the more reason its unrealistic to trade into top 5. Nobody is going to give up the sweet candy at the top of this draft. If they feel there is high value in going from 21 to 10 they can do that, or 32 to 25. Or 51 to 40.

Its more likely as you said Benson could fall and we could move up to 10-12 to get a 17 year old who can score and be perfect for a scoring third line someday.

The question is where does this draft get lean? Trust your evaluation in its depth and consider moving up a few spots if it matters alot. We haven't even maximized our salary cap or Murphy/Stallock/Vlasic type picks yet and they have all kinds of ammo saved up for 3 years. Its overkill and some movement would be expected.

Unless we really are hell bent on winning the NHL....no reason not to convert some of these future guys into a more premium piece we covet.
I agree with that.

The Hawks accumulated all this draft capital and to move up back into the top five they're probably going to have to use most of it on top of probably Reichel.

The smart thing would be to wait and see who falls. I'm sure there's going to be a couple head scratching picks before 19 and if something opens up where there's somebody mid teens then you move a second or two to get the player.

This draft is two rounds deep. Sure, around pick 40 your looking at boom or bust types but if they boom your looking at a complete restock of the cupboard. Unless teams are really afraid to draft Michkov, I highly doubt it, and he drops out the top ten, then you move up and get him only because your not going to get that type of talent and he's worth the risk imo.

Granada

Liked Posts:
The rebuild timeline and strategy has definitely changed now landing bedard. Do they try to suck again next year? Maybe. Or start adding pieces around him to help develop him. Some of those high draft picks might be used to trade for players now instead of drafting them. Interesting to see what they do. I feel only wrong thing they can do is not draft bedard
Yeah it definitely shortens the rebuild, but in my view, it doesn't completely solve it immediately. If I had to bet what Davidson will do this off-season, I'd bet he sticks with some form of rebuild for at least one to two years -- maybe not a complete tank-job like this past year, but still, a rebuild. I'd prefer that a bit more than going out and signing a bunch of expensive acquisitions right out of the gate.

Bedard is ready, but the other prospects (Nazar, Korchinski, Rinzel, etc.) aren't. If the last dynasty is any indication, you build your core from in-house, with players of similar age. Once that's established, then you start chasing pieces. You need at least 4 players for a core. Bedard is one; if Reichel can take a step up, perhaps by playing with Bedard, that's two. Hopefully, Davidson and co. have done a better job with their most recent draft picks than Stanbo.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with that.

The Hawks accumulated all this draft capital and to move up back into the top five they're probably going to have to use most of it on top of probably Reichel.

The smart thing would be to wait and see who falls. I'm sure there's going to be a couple head scratching picks before 19 and if something opens up where there's somebody mid teens then you move a second or two to get the player.

This draft is two rounds deep. Sure, around pick 40 your looking at boom or bust types but if they boom your looking at a complete restock of the cupboard. Unless teams are really afraid to draft Michkov, I highly doubt it, and he drops out the top ten, then you move up and get him only because your not going to get that type of talent and he's worth the risk imo.

Thanks, that's what I hadn't heard.

So then as you said, I might move up for Michkov or Benson because they put the red light on and Benson/Del Maestro/Savoie sounds like a third line group to me together.

I might dangle a two for Vasili Podz in Vancouver to attract physical attention off Bedard.

And a bundle of 53, 57, 60, 65 is potentially worth taking a bunch of lottery tickets, or jumping to 40 for more of a sure thing.

We have to wait and see what happens in front of us.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Yeah it definitely shortens the rebuild, but in my view, it doesn't completely solve it immediately. If I had to bet what Davidson will do this off-season, I'd bet he sticks with some form of rebuild for at least one to two years -- maybe not a complete tank-job like this past year, but still, a rebuild. I'd prefer that a bit more than going out and signing a bunch of expensive acquisitions right out of the gate.

Bedard is ready, but the other prospects (Nazar, Korchinski, Rinzel, etc.) aren't. If the last dynasty is any indication, you build your core from in-house, with players of similar age. Once that's established, then you start chasing pieces. You need at least 4 players for a core. Bedard is one; if Reichel can take a step up, perhaps by playing with Bedard, that's two. Hopefully, Davidson and co. have done a better job with their most recent draft picks than Stanbo.
I'm not sold on Commesso.

I like him, but I see a long AHL start to his career Similar to Crow.

The Hawks need a goalie.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Thanks, that's what I hadn't heard.

So then as you said, I might move up for Michkov or Benson because they put the red light on and Benson/Del Maestro/Savoie sounds like a third line group to me together.

I might dangle a two for Vasili Podz in Vancouver to attract physical attention off Bedard.

And a bundle of 53, 57, 60, 65 is potentially worth taking a bunch of lottery tickets, or jumping to 40 for more of a sure thing.

We have to wait and see what happens in front of us.
Benson isn't falling out the top ten. There's too much talent there. If he was a better skater he would be a sure fire top five pick.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Benson isn't falling out the top ten. There's too much talent there. If he was a better skater he would be a sure fire top five pick.

Benson/Smith/Michkov worth trading to 8 for me.

Somebody has to be picked.
Is there a defender or goalie you like in the 10-15 range?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've heard Cristall could be intriguing and would be top 10 if bigger.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Benson/Smith/Michkov worth trading to 8 for me.

Somebody has to be picked.
Is there a defender or goalie you like in the 10-15 range?
There's that huge ass goalie Hrabal but I think he's there at 35. The kids 6'6 and a project. He's already 200 pounds and will probably add some more beef to his frame. That's a huge risk with all the forwards that will be there at 35 tho. He's the best goalie in this draft and that isn't saying much.

As for defenseman, I'm not high on the two Russian kids but Sandin-Pelikka I'd move up for. Reinbacher is out the equation he's going top 10. S-P is one of the best skaters in the draft. Effortless. There's a couple people comparing him as a Makar lite, but i think he's more a better skating Devon Toews. There's a lot to like about his game.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's that huge ass goalie Hrabal but I think he's there at 35. The kids 6'6 and a project. He's already 200 pounds and will probably add some more beef to his frame. That's a huge risk with all the forwards that will be there at 35 tho. He's the best goalie in this draft and that isn't saying much.

As for defenseman, I'm not high on the two Russian kids but Sandin-Pelikka I'd move up for. Reinbacher is out the equation he's going top 10. S-P is one of the best skaters in the draft. Effortless. There's a couple people comparing him as a Makar lite, but i think he's more a better skating Devon Toews. There's a lot to like about his game.

I see 15-20 guys who are supposed to be top 10.

Changes every week. Bedard/ S-P/Reinbacker/Benson/Smith/Caarlson/Michkov/Fantilli/Jones...

I'm sure you could pick 3 more to displace a couple. So yes the 12-15 range would be a target for me given 21 and all our ammo.

Or from 35. (I take it the lottery does not impact after round 1 if we 35).

#1, #12, #21

Could be realistic for us if we wanted. But if draft is two rounds deep with upside I don't particularly care too much what they do. They are sitting pretty.

Personally I would trade a farm for Michkov before a hobey Baker if they want to get crazy.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Exactly. We are on the doorstep of Bedard...and?

Our D is a wasteland outside of Korchinski and Allan, and likely they don't hit next year. Jones might be along for a Campbell-like role, but other than that, who? We might have mid-pair guys out the wazzoo but nothing close to a Keith, Seabrook, or Hjammer-type.

Really though, Bedard is not going to do it alone. This isn't basketball. There's a reason why Ovi only has one cup and Edmonton's plethora of firsts hasn't amounted to jack or shit. KD'd real test is building the right guys around him.

I think this coming year he plays more of the older prospects to see what we got in them. I think he is choosy about who he signs and doesn't go for it like Bowman would. I think it's a year or two before backfilling with real talent.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Exactly. We are on the doorstep of Bedard...and?

Our D is a wasteland outside of Korchinski and Allan, and likely they don't hit next year. Jones might be along for a Campbell-like role, but other than that, who? We might have mid-pair guys out the wazzoo but nothing close to a Keith, Seabrook, or Hjammer-type.

Really though, Bedard is not going to do it alone. This isn't basketball. There's a reason why Ovi only has one cup and Edmonton's plethora of firsts hasn't amounted to jack or shit. KD'd real test is building the right guys around him.

I think this coming year he plays more of the older prospects to see what we got in them. I think he is choosy about who he signs and doesn't go for it like Bowman would. I think it's a year or two before backfilling with real talent.
Kaiser.
Vlasic.
Korchinski.
Allen.
Jones.
Jones.

You think it's hopeless with free agency and next two drafts? Surprise developers?

I think the bigger threat appears to be Peterson overthinking this pick. He doesn't look sold on Bedard to me. I'm sure he will come around but I really think he might be vulnerable to a strong offer from 2 or 3.

Zegras/Gibson/#2 and what defender?

What would the blue jackets offer? What defender?

I think he's nuts if he goes for a hobey Baker or the swede. Let's hope owners intervene or sense prevails.

Last edited: