flabear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando Magic
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tampa Bay Lightning
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide
Are they good or bad for a team like the bears? Personally, I like the ones signed as placeholders while we build through the draft. It's going to take a couple of years and you need warm bodies to play and sometimes they hit, sometimes they miss. Poles is doing what he said he would

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Are they good or bad for a team like the bears? Personally, I like the ones signed as placeholders while we build through the draft. It's going to take a couple of years and you need warm bodies to play and sometimes they hit, sometimes they miss. Poles is doing what he said he would

Why would it be bad?

flabear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando Magic
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tampa Bay Lightning
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide
Why would it be bad?
Some on here have complained about them, they complain about everything but not me. I get positive vibes from Poles so far, We are going young and building through the draft, it's the smart way IMHO

Last edited:

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Some on here have complained about them, not me. We are going young and building through the draft, it's the smart way IMHO

The people complaining are idiots.

Success in the NFL means building through the draft. If you land your draft picks and start from where the Bears are starting out at, you supplement with short term contracts (dollar value doesn't matter, nor does cap hit so long as the biggest one takes place in year 1).

I mean, I can spell out the blueprint, because it isn't any type of state secret.

1) Sell off, cut and trade all old assets in order to tank for a year, assuming you do not have a good QB (this is teams 99% of the time - the Bears ended up being the situation that was the other 1%).
2)Draft your Quarterback (If you are the 1% that already has a legit franchise QB, trade down to maximize picks).
3) In the short term, grant short, free agent contracts to players who at least are average NFL starter quality. Reward the ones who excel in your system with longer term contracts at the end of their contract term (with a year left). Let the ones who are just ok or get beaten out by draft picks walk. You use free agency to raise the FLOOR of your team (the least amount of games you can win).
4) Have to be able to draft. This is where you build your team. You need to come away from round 1 with a pro bowler in most cases, round 2 with a really good starter, and round 3 with a solid starter. Everyone else is either a project or depth. This is where you raise the CEILING of your team (how many games you can win overall).

There's always situational exceptions, but overall, that's the blueprint. Its simple, right?

In theory, yes. But because many of these NFL front office people have egos the size of California, they fuck it all up. They might think they don't need to bottom out in 1, which then leads to proverbial NFL hell where a team is just consistently middle of the road and only able to sneak into the playoffs every 3-4 years. Or for part 3, they instead try to buy their way out of mediocrity which only lands them in salary cap hell before they can accomplish anything (looking at you, Ryan Pace). Or worst of all, for 2 and 4, they have really bad scouts, a really bad evaluation process, and end up not being any good at drafting (also looking at you here too, Ryan Pace).

And even though they are failing at it, they double and triple down on stupid. Good ole Greg Gabriel, who acts like the biggest football genius on Twitter, is a perfect example of how someone can let their ego fuck everything up for the team.

That's honestly one of the reasons I like Poles. He's confident, but humble. He brought in help from the Eagles to make SURE he had people who check him and his work. And when you listen to the GMs who have done it with excellence before, the Ted Sunquists, Scott Piolis, Bill Polians, etc - they always say they made sure they had people who weren't afraid to challenge them on their way of thinking on a player, who weren't afraid to tell the GM that they were wrong. Those guys will tell you, by being open minded with that, by having to defend their thoughts and sometimes admit when they were wrong, or even if they ended up being right, by being forced to really dig deep thoroughly against knowledgeable people challenging them, it made them MUCH better GMs.

But not all GMs are humble enough to allow for that. In many ways, its an ego-driven sport...

flabear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando Magic
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tampa Bay Lightning
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide
The people complaining are idiots.

Success in the NFL means building through the draft. If you land your draft picks and start from where the Bears are starting out at, you supplement with short term contracts (dollar value doesn't matter, nor does cap hit so long as the biggest one takes place in year 1).

I mean, I can spell out the blueprint, because it isn't any type of state secret.

1) Sell off, cut and trade all old assets in order to tank for a year, assuming you do not have a good QB (this is teams 99% of the time - the Bears ended up being the situation that was the other 1%).
2)Draft your Quarterback (If you are the 1% that already has a legit franchise QB, trade down to maximize picks).
3) In the short term, grant short, free agent contracts to players who at least are average NFL starter quality. Reward the ones who excel in your system with longer term contracts at the end of their contract term (with a year left). Let the ones who are just ok or get beaten out by draft picks walk. You use free agency to raise the FLOOR of your team (the least amount of games you can win).
4) Have to be able to draft. This is where you build your team. You need to come away from round 1 with a pro bowler in most cases, round 2 with a really good starter, and round 3 with a solid starter. Everyone else is either a project or depth. This is where you raise the CEILING of your team (how many games you can win overall).

There's always situational exceptions, but overall, that's the blueprint. Its simple, right?

In theory, yes. But because many of these NFL front office people have egos the size of California, they fuck it all up. They might think they don't need to bottom out in 1, which then leads to proverbial NFL hell where a team is just consistently middle of the road and only able to sneak into the playoffs every 3-4 years. Or for part 3, they instead try to buy their way out of mediocrity which only lands them in salary cap hell before they can accomplish anything (looking at you, Ryan Pace). Or worst of all, for 2 and 4, they have really bad scouts, a really bad evaluation process, and end up not being any good at drafting (also looking at you here too, Ryan Pace).

And even though they are failing at it, they double and triple down on stupid. Good ole Greg Gabriel, who acts like the biggest football genius on Twitter, is a perfect example of how someone can let their ego fuck everything up for the team.

That's honestly one of the reasons I like Poles. He's confident, but humble. He brought in help from the Eagles to make SURE he had people who check him and his work. And when you listen to the GMs who have done it with excellence before, the Ted Sunquists, Scott Piolis, Bill Polians, etc - they always say they made sure they had people who weren't afraid to challenge them on their way of thinking on a player, who weren't afraid to tell the GM that they were wrong. Those guys will tell you, by being open minded with that, by having to defend their thoughts and sometimes admit when they were wrong, or even if they ended up being right, by being forced to really dig deep thoroughly against knowledgeable people challenging them, it made them MUCH better GMs.

But not all GMs are humble enough to allow for that. In many ways, its an ego-driven sport...
That was an awesome read, thanks

JordanSigler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Warm bodies are nice. But I’d rather they were younger.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Ryan Pace had a degree of success in his early seasons by signing 1 year players until he got reckless with money.

being under contract for 1 year for little money there's not much in the way of risk involved. if they play well, you give them another deal. if they don't play well, they're not your problem anymore, they're just free agents then. I think it works well for a team in the middle of a rebuild. you can't really build the entire team through the draft because you only have a finite amount of players you can draft, players from previous drafts the clock is ticking, their contracts will expire in time. there's positions where you can plug those 1 year players in and it'll probably work out. like on a consistent basis. you find someone that got cut from another team because of injury or something.

I personally think it's good business strategy. lol

flabear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando Magic
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tampa Bay Lightning
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide
Warm bodies are nice. But I’d rather they were younger.
His signings were for young players, we will be one of the youngest teams in the NFL which in a rebuild is what your trying for

Last edited:

flabear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando Magic
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tampa Bay Lightning
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide
Ryan Pace had a degree of success in his early seasons by signing 1 year players until he got reckless with money.

being under contract for 1 year for little money there's not much in the way of risk involved. if they play well, you give them another deal. if they don't play well, they're not your problem anymore, they're just free agents then. I think it works well for a team in the middle of a rebuild. you can't really build the entire team through the draft because you only have a finite amount of players you can draft, players from previous drafts the clock is ticking, their contracts will expire in time. there's positions where you can plug those 1 year players in and it'll probably work out. like on a consistent basis. you find someone that got cut from another team because of injury or something.

I personally think it's good business strategy. lol
So true, they can earn a spot the following year or see ya, it's on the player to shine which isn't a bad thing called motivation,

Toast88

Liked Posts:
They’re good for specific purposes. For example, I was disappointed last season when they didn’t utilize any 1-year deals at receiver or O-Line, considering it would’ve just been temporarily buying some protection and weapons for your young QB who you’re trying to properly evaluate.

flabear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando Magic
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tampa Bay Lightning
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide
They’re good for specific purposes. For example, I was disappointed last season when they didn’t utilize any 1-year deals at receiver or O-Line, considering it would’ve just been temporarily buying some protection and weapons for your young QB who you’re trying to properly evaluate.
In a twisted way I'm glad because fate gave us, with Lovies help the first pick which was flipped for a haul we wouldn't have gotten otherwise. The second pick is ok but not star power like #1. Would it have been better in the long run if we had say the 12th pick, not in my opinion, if your going to tank like Poles planned do it right. Ask Lovie what a win can mean in a meaningless last freaking game of the year. Poles blew up our defense on purpose. Look at the jets pining for Aaran Rogers and they won't win the super bowl full of élite QB's in the AFC, in a year they will be screwed with his buddies they are signing, old and slow just like he is and him keeping them in suspense if he will even play again plus giving away draft picks for an expensive one year rental. Lose now to win it all for the long haul, he's the one year rental that can set a team back years

Last edited:

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Some on here have complained about them, they complain about everything but not me. I get positive vibes from Poles so far, We are going young and building through the draft, it's the smart way IMHO
The ones complaining are the typical trolls on here. The ones complaining are the people who expect Poles to sign every big FA and spend whatever money is necessary. That’s not how you build championship teams.

flabear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando Magic
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tampa Bay Lightning
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide
The ones complaining are the typical trolls on here. The ones complaining are the people who expect Poles to sign every big FA and spend whatever money is necessary. That’s not how you build championship teams.
Trust me I know about the trolls on here, they complain and ruin good football conversation because they think it's funny while the majority of us want to talk about the Bears, they must lead sad miserable lives.

mecha

Liked Posts:
that's how you become a team run by Dan Snyder. perennial 4th in the division.

Bears achieve this by a different variety of incompetence. being run like a mom and pop shop, namely.

JordanSigler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Trust me I know about the trolls on here, they complain and ruin good football conversation because they think it's funny while the majority of us want to talk about the Bears, they must lead miserable lives
Can we get back to which 1 year player you think will be bumming around for a value contract in early January when the Bears sit Fields in Week 18 to protect him from getting injured with the same line.

flabear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando Magic
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tampa Bay Lightning
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide
that's how you become a team run by Dan Snyder. perennial 4th in the division.

Bears achieve this by a different variety of incompetence. being run like a mom and pop shop, namely.
Sad but true

flabear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando Magic
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tampa Bay Lightning
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide
Can we get back to which 1 year player you think will be bumming around for a value contract in early January when the Bears sit Fields in Week 18 to protect him from getting injured with the same line.
We signed Davis and isn't FA still going on plus there's the draft, if Poles finds OL he wants there is no excuse not to sign him, we will revisit this in January , curious which OL did you think Poles should have signed. PS, i'd be pissed if it was the same OL this year

JordanSigler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We signed Davis and isn't FA still going on plus there's the draft, if Poles finds OL he wants there is no excuse not to sign him, we will revisit this in January , curious which OL did you think Poles should have signed. PS, i'd be pissed if it was the same OL this year
Davis is a run blocking guard. So not looking good for what they need