1-year signings

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
We need them this year. Too long of contracts is the only rational reason I can see not jumping on any of the higher talent FA QB protection this year. Maybe later in the off season FAs will be older cuts who will go along with short contracts. They can still have the talent but are on the downswing of their career.
They can fill in while rookies become not rookies.

Of course this is assuming Poles wasn't completely lying about the trenches. So far we really haven't seen anything to make that claim believable. So far we've seen the same old Bear shit, a little help for offense, a lot of help for defense.
But if he does mean it and the oline gets great talent in the draft we still need some experienced talent to keep Fields alive and evaluate him. Unless Fields isn't the plan in which case we don't, at least not until we see who works and who doesn't before the next rookie QB.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
They’re good for specific purposes. For example, I was disappointed last season when they didn’t utilize any 1-year deals at receiver or O-Line, considering it would’ve just been temporarily buying some protection and weapons for your young QB who you’re trying to properly evaluate.
--completely of topic--

I liked Poles' draft last year. No matter how much fan boys don't want to hear it. The secondary WAS the worst unit on the team.

Like, I need to talk up Brisker.

Gordon got shit on early by jealous homers who were pissed that Poles didn't go WR early. Bro, he played much better as the weeks went on. And everyone knows CB is one of the toughest positions to transition to from college to pro.

TLDR: Poles' first draft was fine, off-season? Sheesh

mecha

Liked Posts:
--completely of topic--

I liked Poles' draft last year. No matter how much fan boys don't want to hear it. The secondary WAS the worst unit on the team.

Like, I need to talk up Brisker.

Gordon got shit on early by jealous homers who were pissed that Poles didn't go WR early. Bro, he played much better as the weeks went on. And everyone knows CB is one of the toughest positions to transition to from college to pro.

TLDR: Poles' first draft was fine, off-season? Sheesh
I didn't have any issues with Poles personnel moves in 2022. I've noted probably 10 times now that people (as I described) were shitting blood at the prospect of the secondary being the worst in the entire league and they wound up being the only consistent bright spot on defense last season. cutting weight on the expensive players was a long game move. people that were all omgwtfbbq why aren't the Bears winning games and trying to make the playoffs??? don't tell me it wasn't planned that they won the #1 overall pick lol

also your criticisms of Fields as a passer aren't entirely wrong, but the team on both sides was so anemic I don't think you can make any judgment call either way.

PeppersSweater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Aren’t one-year signings also a strategy to potentially play the comp pick game the following year?

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
The people complaining are idiots.

Success in the NFL means building through the draft. If you land your draft picks and start from where the Bears are starting out at, you supplement with short term contracts (dollar value doesn't matter, nor does cap hit so long as the biggest one takes place in year 1).

I mean, I can spell out the blueprint, because it isn't any type of state secret.

1) Sell off, cut and trade all old assets in order to tank for a year, assuming you do not have a good QB (this is teams 99% of the time - the Bears ended up being the situation that was the other 1%).
2)Draft your Quarterback (If you are the 1% that already has a legit franchise QB, trade down to maximize picks).
3) In the short term, grant short, free agent contracts to players who at least are average NFL starter quality. Reward the ones who excel in your system with longer term contracts at the end of their contract term (with a year left). Let the ones who are just ok or get beaten out by draft picks walk. You use free agency to raise the FLOOR of your team (the least amount of games you can win).
4) Have to be able to draft. This is where you build your team. You need to come away from round 1 with a pro bowler in most cases, round 2 with a really good starter, and round 3 with a solid starter. Everyone else is either a project or depth. This is where you raise the CEILING of your team (how many games you can win overall).

There's always situational exceptions, but overall, that's the blueprint. Its simple, right?

In theory, yes. But because many of these NFL front office people have egos the size of California, they fuck it all up. They might think they don't need to bottom out in 1, which then leads to proverbial NFL hell where a team is just consistently middle of the road and only able to sneak into the playoffs every 3-4 years. Or for part 3, they instead try to buy their way out of mediocrity which only lands them in salary cap hell before they can accomplish anything (looking at you, Ryan Pace). Or worst of all, for 2 and 4, they have really bad scouts, a really bad evaluation process, and end up not being any good at drafting (also looking at you here too, Ryan Pace).

And even though they are failing at it, they double and triple down on stupid. Good ole Greg Gabriel, who acts like the biggest football genius on Twitter, is a perfect example of how someone can let their ego fuck everything up for the team.

That's honestly one of the reasons I like Poles. He's confident, but humble. He brought in help from the Eagles to make SURE he had people who check him and his work. And when you listen to the GMs who have done it with excellence before, the Ted Sunquists, Scott Piolis, Bill Polians, etc - they always say they made sure they had people who weren't afraid to challenge them on their way of thinking on a player, who weren't afraid to tell the GM that they were wrong. Those guys will tell you, by being open minded with that, by having to defend their thoughts and sometimes admit when they were wrong, or even if they ended up being right, by being forced to really dig deep thoroughly against knowledgeable people challenging them, it made them MUCH better GMs.

But not all GMs are humble enough to allow for that. In many ways, its an ego-driven sport...
We will only know if Poles is the right guy, between the lines on Sundays (and Thursdays, and Saturdays). This is all just gnashing of teeth for no good reason at this point.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
were shitting blood at the prospect of the secondary being the worst in the entire league

That is an odd analogy. None of the causes of bloody stool have anything to do with anger or disbelief.

I wouldn't care if they were the worst or not. When you have a 2nd year 1st round pick QB priority should be keeping that QB from getting hit so you don't waste that first round pick to anything but the QB's ability. That priority should be before he ever steps foot in a game. Now it's looking like we'll be going into Field's 3rd year without any experienced skill at the positions entrusted to keep him healthy for a long career. (Why we need some 1 year signings if they're there.

How many blamed Grossman's inability on injury? And he was such a low first rounder it really didn't matter if it was a wasted pick or not.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
We need them this year. Too long of contracts is the only rational reason I can see not jumping on any of the higher talent FA QB protection this year. Maybe later in the off season FAs will be older cuts who will go along with short contracts. They can still have the talent but are on the downswing of their career.
They can fill in while rookies become not rookies.

Of course this is assuming Poles wasn't completely lying about the trenches. So far we really haven't seen anything to make that claim believable. So far we've seen the same old Bear shit, a little help for offense, a lot of help for defense.
But if he does mean it and the oline gets great talent in the draft we still need some experienced talent to keep Fields alive and evaluate him. Unless Fields isn't the plan in which case we don't, at least not until we see who works and who doesn't before the next rookie QB.
You sure do a lot of complaining...can you at least wait until after the draft?

JordanSigler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You sure do a lot of complaining...can you at least wait until after the draft?
Can’t you wait until OTAs to see how they’re progressing? Can’t you wait until preseason to see how they look in a game? Can’t you wait until the regular season to see how they play in a real game? It’s early in the season, can you wait until they’ve settled into the system?

flabear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando Magic
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tampa Bay Lightning
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide
385 pass blocks?
How's his run blocking? I read he's nasty and is costing under 7M this year, I am disappointed as well that we didn't add more OL help to, lets see what Poles ends up with after the draft and FA then we can be bitch if the line still stinks

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Allot of decent players prob got scared off when these Jack offs put together a guard rotation last season

JordanSigler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How's his run blocking? I read he's nasty and is costing under 7M this year, I am disappointed as well that we didn't add more OL help to, lets see what Poles ends up with after the draft and FA then we can be bitch if the line still stinks
Derrick Henry made him look amazing!
I wanted Issac Seumalo, would have been cheaper!

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
Can’t you wait until OTAs to see how they’re progressing? Can’t you wait until preseason to see how they look in a game? Can’t you wait until the regular season to see how they play in a real game? It’s early in the season, can you wait until they’ve settled into the system?
Not only are you annoying, you are just wrong. We, as fans, have very little information on what NFL teams actually look at in player evaluation. You don't know, I don't know, only the teams know. As far acquiring talent, the free agent period is not over and the Bears have 10 picks in the draft. Then, at that point if you wanted to moan about the Bears incompetence at least you would have a reasonable amount of data to infer from. I am sure you will bitch at that point because I believe the '85 Bears would not have been good enough for you...

JordanSigler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not only are you annoying, you are just wrong. We, as fans, have very little information on what NFL teams actually look at in player evaluation. You don't know, I don't know, only the teams know. As far acquiring talent, the free agent period is not over and the Bears have 10 picks in the draft. Then, at that point if you wanted to moan about the Bears incompetence at least you would have a reasonable amount of data to infer from. I am sure you will bitch at that point because I believe the '85 Bears would not have been good enough for you...
Scoreboard: 3-14

JordanSigler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Totschlagargument.

What helped the Bears more: 3-14 or 8-9?
Do I think Poles knows how to tear down a team and build a loser? Yes. Do I think he’s proven he can bargain bin short contract players to build a competitive team with Flus HITS system? No. He did that last year and the team was as bad as predicted ??‍♂️