110 of 111 players found to have CTE

broughtupbears

Liked Posts:
Dr. Ann McKee, a neuropathologist, has examined the brains of 202 deceased football players. A broad survey of her findings was published on Tuesday in The Journal of the American Medical Association.

Of the 202 players, 111 of them played in the N.F.L. — and 110 of those were found to have chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or C.T.E., the degenerative disease believed to be caused by repeated blows to the head.

C.T.E. causes myriad symptoms, including memory loss, confusion, depression and dementia. The problems can arise years after the blows to the head have stopped.

Linemen
Running backs
Defensive backs
Linebackers
Quarterbacks
Wide Receivers
Tight ends
Place-kickers
Punters
The brains here are from players who died as young as 23 and as old as 89. And they are from every position on the field — quarterbacks, running backs and linebackers, and even a place-kicker and a punter.

They are from players you have never heard of and players, like Ken Stabler, who are enshrined in the Hall of Fame. Some of the brains cannot be publicly identified, per the families’ wishes.

The scan above is from the brain of Ronnie Caveness, a linebacker for the Houston Oilers and Kansas City Chiefs. In college, he helped the Arkansas Razorbacks go undefeated in 1964. One of his teammates was Jerry Jones, now the owner of the Dallas Cowboys. Jones has rejected the belief that there is a link between football and C.T.E.

The scan above is from the brain of Ollie Matson, who played 14 seasons in the N.F.L. — after winning two medals on the track at the 1952 Helsinki Games. He died in 2011 at age 80 after being mostly bedridden with dementia, his nephew told The Associated Press, adding that Matson hadn’t spoken in four years.

Dr. McKee, chief of neuropathology at the VA Boston Healthcare System and director of the CTE Center at Boston University, has amassed the largest C.T.E. brain bank in the world. But the brains of some other players found to have the disease — like Junior Seau, Mike Webster and Andre Waters — were examined elsewhere.

The set of players posthumously tested by Dr. McKee is far from a random sample of N.F.L. retirees. “There’s a tremendous selection bias,” she has cautioned, noting that many families have donated brains specifically because the former player showed symptoms of C.T.E.

But 110 positives remain significant scientific evidence of an N.F.L. player’s risk of developing C.T.E., which can be diagnosed only after death. About 1,300 former players have died since the B.U. group began examining brains. So even if every one of the other 1,200 players would have tested negative — which even the heartiest skeptics would agree could not possibly be the case — the minimum C.T.E. prevalence would be close to 9 percent, vastly higher than in the general population.

The N.F.L.’s top health and safety official has acknowledged a link between football and C.T.E., and the league has begun to steer children away from playing the sport in its regular form, encouraging safer tackling methods and promoting flag football.
Linemen

Daniel Colchico

Pete Duranko

Gerry Huth

Tom Keating

Tom Mchale

Joe O’Malley

Mike Pyle

John Wilbur
Linemen make up the largest share, by far, of those tested by Dr. McKee, partly because nearly half of the 22 players on the field are offensive and defensive linemen.

But that may not be the entire reason.

Linemen knock heads on most plays, and those who study brain trauma say the accumulation of seemingly benign, non-violent blows — rather than head-jarring concussions alone — probably causes C.T.E.

Data compiled by researchers at Stanford showed that one college offensive lineman sustained 62 of these hits in a single game. Each one came with an average force on the player’s head equivalent to what you would see if he had driven his car into a brick wall at 30 m.p.h.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...otball/nfl-cte.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
The issue is whose brain is beimg donated for study. Most of the family members donating their brain suspected the individual suffered from CTE. This is not a random sampling from all NFL players.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
The issue is whose brain is beimg donated for study. Most of the family members donating their brain suspected the individual suffered from CTE. This is not a random sampling from all NFL players.

also back in the day guys would get there brains beat in and the coaches would force them back out there. It will be interesting to see in the future how much the concussion protocol will help

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
This is not good, but they are examining brains of guys that died 6 years ago?

He died in 2011 at age 80

I'm no expert but I thought if they don't intentionally preserve tissue, it was pretty much dust after 5 years. I'm not doubting the findings, just surprised this is even possible after years.

BTW, that sounds like a terrible job, important work, but yikes.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

It is a weighted sampling, yes. But the correlation is that those who had played for longer periods, and at higher levels showed greater symptoms of CTE.

This is not good, but they are examining brains of guys that died 6 years ago?

I'm no expert but I thought if they don't intentionally preserve tissue, it was pretty much dust after 5 years. I'm not doubting the findings, just surprised this is even possible after years.

BTW, that sounds like a terrible job, important work, but yikes.

This woman heads a brain bank in Mass, run by the VA. Brains are donated by family after death. Dave Duerson also died in 2011 and his family donated his brain.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This woman heads a brain bank in Mass, run by the VA. Brains are donated by family after death. Dave Duerson also died in 2011 and his family donated his brain.

I understand that, same thing with Junior Seau, they both committed suicide with gunshots to the chest to preserve the brain. They both left suicide notes that they wanted their brains examined for CTE. I understand how that works, and would expect a high percentage of people that suspect they have CTE, actually turn out to have CTE.

Are you saying all 202 players or their families in the study donated their brains for examination after death? Okay good, they are not exhuming bodies from 6 years ago. I'm surprised so many players/families have been doing this for so long, I knew about the high profile guys, but 202?

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I understand that, same thing with Junior Seau, they both committed suicide with gunshots to the chest to preserve the brain. They both left suicide notes that they wanted their brains examined for CTE. I understand how that works, and would expect a high percentage of people that suspect they have CTE, actually turn out to have CTE.

Are you saying all 202 players or their families in the study donated their brains for examination after death? Okay good, they are not exhuming bodies from 6 years ago. I'm surprised so many players/families have been doing this for so long, I knew about the high profile guys, but 202?

Not all from NFL. The bank has been going since 2008 studying the effects of concussions and CTE. There are several current players who have now offered to donate upon their death. And to the bolded, see my reply to inchi.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not all from NFL. The bank has been going since 2008 studying the effects of concussions and CTE. There are several current players who have now offered to donate upon their death.

It's a positive thing to find this shit out. It will mess up the game, but we aren't savages, right? BTW why are boxing and mma still a thing? Anyone ever hear an old fighter try to speak, collect those brains.

Hockey players
Professional slap fighters
Honest politicians
That old guy on Benny Hill
tumblr_n7wodv0EfI1rd5rz4o1_250.gif

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
And where are they getting data for the general public. Can't imagine that sampling would be significant.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It's a positive thing to find this shit out. It will mess up the game, but we aren't savages, right? BTW why are boxing and mma still a thing? Anyone ever hear an old fighter try to speak, collect those brains.

Hockey players
Professional slap fighters
Honest politicians
That old guy on Benny Hill

Lol. They do actually collect brains of other athletes, and non-athletes, veterans, etc. The whole thing was started by an ex WWE guy.

https://concussionfoundation.org/CTE-resources/brain-bank

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lol. They do actually collect brains of other athletes, and non-athletes, veterans, etc. The whole thing was started by an ex WWE guy.

https://concussionfoundation.org/CTE-resources/brain-bank

I was apparently intentionally unaware of this, like I said, I knew about the handful of high profile cases. I had no idea this study was so wide spread and and going on this long.

BTW, the timing on the release of the findings, does anyone think this is a coincidence?

Other old guys, remember when the NFL and NCAA used to use brain injuries as a promotional tool?

"Oh my what a hit, just brutal. Look at this he is staggering to the wrong sideline, he got his bell rung. Now he's walking in circles and has collapsed, this has got to make the blooper reel. He is going to develop dementia for sure, feel bad for his family, but can't help but laugh. Retards, am I right?"

That's okay, we will always have Madden.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If these were the only cases of CTE from NFL players it would still be a hugely higher % of all players vs the general public. Obviously, there are more. Current protocols should aid prevention and severity but the risk will always be there. I doubt the game changes much but at least players will be better able to balance the risk/reward ratio.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
also back in the day guys would get there brains beat in and the coaches would force them back out there. It will be interesting to see in the future how much the concussion protocol will help
CTE is caused by repeated blows to the head, not concussions. The concussion protocol is a good thing. It has as much to do with preventing CTE as filtered cigarettes do with preventing lung disease though.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
CTE is caused by repeated blows to the head, not concussions. The concussion protocol is a good thing. It has as much to do with preventing CTE as filtered cigarettes do with preventing lung disease though.
have they tested any current player that has played under the concussion protocol? If not we wont know the extent that repeated concussions have on cte

broughtupbears

Liked Posts:

As noted in the article

broughtupbears

Liked Posts:
A lot of the issues with head injuries are sub concussive blows. Note the lineman... play after play of head banging.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:

You're right but I certainly wouldn't go that far. When a player has a concussion the brain is vulnerable to further damage. Surely players that continue to play through concussion take much more damage. The concussion protocol will by no means 'cure' the CTE issue in football, but it should help.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
have they tested any current player that has played under the concussion protocol? If not we wont know the extent that repeated concussions have on cte

I doubt any current players are up for dissection. MRIs don't work yet though they may be getting closer to some correlation (with advanced cases).