13 reasons the Bears should draft a quarterback at No. 3

Chicoman

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-bears-should-draft-quarterback-biggs-spt-0425-20170424-column.html
ribune reporter Brad Biggs provides his updated mock draft projections as of April 21, 2017. (Brad Biggs)
Brad BiggsContact ReporterChicago Tribune

If not now, when?

The time to invest a first-round draft pick in a quarterback appears to have come for the Bears, who have not selected a passer in Round 1 since Rex Grossman in 2003. The Bears dealt two first-round picks to the Broncos in the 2009 Jay Cutler deal, a trade that proved to be too good to be true because teams don't deal away franchise quarterbacks.

It simply took the Bears longer than most to come to the realization Cutler wasn't that player and now here they are with the No. 3 pick in the first round Thursday night staring down the opportunity to solve the club's never-ending issue — if they can pick the right quarterback.

North Carolina's Mitch Trubisky, Clemson's Deshaun Watson, Texas Tech's Patrick Mahomes and Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer all offer upside. It's possible general manager Ryan Pace will have his choice of this group if the Browns (No. 1) and 49ers (No. 2) invest in other positions. Even if Pace has second pick among quarterbacks, the Bears are overdue to draft one....click on link

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Link doesn't work.

Chicoman

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Absolutely agree with all his reasoning. Glad this comes out in Tribune 3 days before draft. Let Pace be swayed.....(doubtful but wth)

Chicoman

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's why I said doubtful but what the hell...

I don't think he can be swayed, but I do believe that this is what a lot of fans want and it reiterates what many of us on this board believe.....that the time is now to take a QB and reset the franchise.

Madden

Liked Posts:
Fun Fact:

2 out of the last 4 QB's the Bears have drafted in the 1st round have brought us to the Super Bowl.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Absolutely agree with all his reasoning.

Yep, he's made several of the same points many of us have been making on here this last couple of months.

That's why I said doubtful but what the hell...

I don't think he can be swayed, but I do believe that this is what a lot of fans want and it reiterates what many of us on this board believe.....that the time is now to take a QB and reset the franchise.

He may not need to be swayed. Hopefully he's already feeling that way.

Chicoman

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He may not need to be swayed. Hopefully he's already feeling that way.

Yep. I think a majority of Bear's fans are supportive. Local media is supportive. I'm sure F.O. wants to keep their jobs and not rely solely on Glennon.

Only question is, what does that board look like? Shit I might just nap till Thursday night.

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
The top QB's this year may not be all world, but they're good prospects that check off most of the boxes, guys that you can win with, build a program around, and lead the offense for the next 12+ years. You don't get that kind of value from taking any other position, and the Bears have never had their pick of QB prospects before.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
13 reasons?

The Bears only need 4.

AussieBear

another fucking twat using dat swinging shat... fuck yo ANAL g's yo..

wut be the score??how many on base.. count?? outs? inning?? who be batting nex... who dey got in da pen to counter him...any pinch hitters to counter dat couter... etc etc etc...

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
The top QB's this year may not be all world, but they're good prospects that check off most of the boxes, guys that you can win with, build a program around, and lead the offense for the next 12+ years. You don't get that kind of value from taking any other position, and the Bears have never had their pick of QB prospects before.

Matt Ryan threw 19 ints his Sr year at BC & his arm strength was in question. Yet Atl took him with the 3rd pick & today he is the MVP. Don't sell this QB class short. No one knows what they have the potential to be.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
Fun Fact:

2 out of the last 4 QB's the Bears have drafted in the 1st round have brought us to the Super Bowl.

Sorry John, but the D took those two teams to the SB, not the QB. In fact, I believe that those particular teams could have played without at QB and still likely made it as their defense was just that good. McMahon was an OK QB, but Grossman was flat out TERRIBLE and the Bears made it to the SB despite him, not because of him.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He is correct.

You have to take a swing.

Taking a swing at mediocre veterans and mid round picks is a waste of fucking time.

AussieBear

Matt Ryan threw 19 ints his Sr year at BC & his arm strength was in question. Yet Atl took him with the 3rd pick & today he is the MVP. Don't sell this QB class short. No one knows but they have the potential to be.

ppl here were saying matty ice sucked prior to this year... are these the same ppl stroking his cock now??

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
There's too many things that could go wrong to count on that. That's not so much of a plan as it is a hope.

I think picking from this years group and praying the one we end up with has to be a franchise QB because this is the year we are picking 3rd is a horrible plan. That's wishful thinking.