1st Round Picks

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
IF a QB is there.

IF Fields isn’t the guy.

You do understand most of what we talk about on this board deal in hypotheticals?
That method has not worked out well for the bears lol.

Devil's advocate, let's say Fields ceiling IS what he has shown late last year, and into these last two games (I don't think it is), I still am not drafting another quarterback next year. Hell no. I am trading down and drafting at WR and LT (which is what I wanted to in 2021 - well not trade down, but fill either of those positions). You can sign a free agent quarterback to compete with Fields for the starting job, sure.

"Generational" quarterbacks come out "every draft".

I get what you are saying but this team needs to start building from the inside out.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
That method has not worked out well for the bears lol.

Devil's advocate, let's say Fields ceiling IS what he has shown late last year, and into these last two games (I don't think it is), I still am not drafting another quarterback next year. Hell no. I am trading down and drafting at WR and LT (which is what I wanted to in 2021 - well not trade down, but fill either of those positions). You can sign a free agent quarterback to compete with Fields for the starting job, sure.

"Generational" quarterbacks come out "every draft".

I get what you are saying but this team needs to start building from the inside out.
Yup it’s clear. This team is a QB away from 7 wins, not a QB away from competing from
Anything substantial. Build the team first.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe wait to bail on Fields until we actually put some WRS and a decent OL together.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Actually, dip-shit, Mitch was an unknown, and I did state "never trade two 1sts for a defensive player."

Imagine thinking "1 move away" after Mitch's rookie year. ???

Well if Mitch were Mahomes, that Mack trade wouldve been golden. Too bad Pace is Pace

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
The thing that everyone neglects is that when it comes to having a good offense you want a good OL and good weapons. It has 0 to do with fields …. Insert mahomes and this is a way better offense but still not top 10.

This team needs a better o line and at least 1, maybe 2 more weapons.

They may need a QB, but regardless the OL and WR play must be better, or addition of elite TE but I’ve given up on that.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
IF a QB is there.

IF Fields isn’t the guy.

You do understand most of what we talk about on this board deal in hypotheticals?
Just pointing out that you’re all over the place

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The thing that everyone neglects is that when it comes to having a good offense you want a good OL and good weapons. It has 0 to do with fields …. Insert mahomes and this is a way better offense but still not top 10.

This team needs a better o line and at least 1, maybe 2 more weapons.

They may need a QB, but regardless the OL and WR play must be better, or addition of elite TE but I’ve given up on that.

No one neglects that. Everyone acknowledges that. All I’m saying is it’s a lot harder to find a good QB than a WR or OL. So when you get a shot at one you take it.

But hey… we can just take a trip down to the QB store whenever we fix everything else.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Pace didn't draft enough qbs in the first.
the amount of 1st round picks he spent obtaining quarterbacks, the Bears could've had about 8 of them by now. with those chances, one had to hit, I think.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
the amount of 1st round picks he spent obtaining quarterbacks, the Bears could've had about 8 of them by now. with those chances, one had to hit, I think.
8? Damn we could have had four then. Imagine trading the other three great qbs for great picks?! Just taking the piss. Apparently the success rate for first round qbs is 50/50.

mecha

Liked Posts:
8? Damn we could have had four then. Imagine trading the other three great qbs for great picks?! Just taking the piss. Apparently the success rate for first round qbs is 50/50.
the Chicago Bears destroy quarterbacks like dipshits fuck up 2 car funerals

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
No one neglects that. Everyone acknowledges that. All I’m saying is it’s a lot harder to find a good QB than a WR or OL. So when you get a shot at one you take it.

But hey… we can just take a trip down to the QB store whenever we fix everything else.
Lmao anytime anyone critiques OL or WR they claim making excuses for fields.

Bottom line is this offense sucks because they haven’t invested in it to the level of any other competent teams.

Eagles drafted 2 2nd round centers and a 1st round tackle and more, all while having HOF quality play from Kelce and lane.

Bears haven’t invested shit in OL. We applaud a 5th rounder tackle for playing decently yet no other team relies on low quality draft picks like the bears

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
The eagles drafted 3 1st round WR in the last 8 years, and they traded a first for AJ brown. They took alshon ….

But hey, just keep drafting qbs that will solve all issues lmao.

Canth

Liked Posts:
The eagles drafted 3 1st round WR in the last 8 years, and they traded a first for AJ brown. They took alshon ….

Yeah, pretty much all the various analysts and media are in agreement that the Bears have done almost nothing to put Fields in a position to succeed this year. So, I fully agree it would be dumb to burn another 1st round pick on a qb when there is basically no framework for that person to be successful. They have all the cap room and most of their picks next offseason. Use it to build that framework and give Fields another year. IMO, he has too much talent to give up on him at this time.

It also dovetails nicely with the way 1st round rookie contract work. They have to pick up the 5th year option after the 3rd year, correct? So, you give him that 3rd year (presumably 2nd year in the same offense) and with better weapons and protection. After year 3, you make the decision whether or not to move on - ie, he either earned being considered the long time starter and a 2nd contract or he hasn't and you don't pick up the 5th year and draft another qb.

That would also give Poles 2 offseasons to build an offense for whoever is going to be the qb in 2024. I just hope that Fields figures it out and that will be him winning playoff games for the Bears.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
That disfunction goes pretty far back.

IIRC, since extending Brian Urlacher...the Bears have only signed three first round picks to long term contracts and two of them were drafted by Phil Emery.
Isn't it just 2? Unless we're counting Tommie Harris

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

No one is saying just draft a qb and all the problems are solved. The lack of investment in the line and WR’s has been acknowledged by almost everyone here.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Isn't it just 2? Unless we're counting Tommie Harris

I was counting Tommie Harris.

Him, Kyle Long and Kyle Fuller.

The only one really worth the extension was Fuller as Long & Harris spent most of that contract battling injuries and just generally being shells of their former selves.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I was counting Tommie Harris.

Him, Kyle Long and Kyle Fuller.

The only one really worth the extension was Fuller as Long & Harris spent most of that contract battling injuries and just generally being shells of their former selves.
That's a sad state considering that's over a 20 year span. Although, the Bears really haven't hit on any 1st round picks since Vainisi was the GM

chuck3671

Liked Posts:
That's a sad state considering that's over a 20 year span. Although, the Bears really haven't hit on any 1st round picks since Vainisi was the GM
What's even sadder is that in 20 years the Bears have failed to draft ANY impact players on offense. The best one I can think of is Matt Forte but he could never put the team on his shoulders. That's a pretty low bar in a game that is increasingly about offense.