2 Week Out Mock Draft

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
1[20] WR Rashod Bateman [Minnesota] 6'1" 190lbs.

The Bears desperately need the offense to pop. Pace has shown no signs that he values OL this high and after the contract given to Ifedi it does not appear they are in a rush to replace him. The Bears are going to have mediocre QB play this season so they need more weapons. They also need someone to develop long term in case the Robinson thing goes sideways as it appears to be. Bateman has solid size, good testing numbers, was super productive at a young age, which is a good sign for WRs. What I like most about him is that he is one of the better route runners in the draft. This is an aspect of the game where we have not seen a ton of development from the Bears younger players. Bateman will line up outside and allow Allen Robinson to move into the slot more where he is a monster. A WR core of Robinson, Mooney, and Bateman is about the best we have ever seen 1-3.

https%3A%2F%2Farrowheadaddict.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2016%2F04%2F1185635847-850x560.jpeg

2[52] CB Kelvin Joesph [Kentucky] 6'1" 195lbs.

The Bears CB spot is an under rated bad position group. Johnson is coming off an injury, Trufant is broken, Vildor is still an unknown, and Shelley isn't good. The Bears need to add a legit talent that will require the lesser talents to be less involved. Joseph, an LSU transfer, has #1 CB upside as well as the size and athletic ability. Joseph had 4 interceptions last season and gives the Bears a top young CB tandem.

JOSEPH-SEPT-29-2020-e1601380328614.jpg

3[83] QB Jaime Newman [Wake Forest] 6'3" 235lbs.

The Bears will need to add a QB at some point because of the optics of not adding one would be incredible. At some point the Bears will by 4-6 and need to make a change to spark the offense and the team. A rookie QB that shows anything would bring a lot of extra hope to a middling team. Newman has a ton of physical tools. He is a massive human, who can run, and who has a big arm. He is incredibly raw and sitting out 2020 would not help. He is a bunch of physical tools and developmental potential, but he gives them an option.

jamie-newman-wake-forest.jpg

Trade: The Chicago Bears trade WR Anthony Miller and a 6th round pick to the New England Patriots for a 4th round pick

4. OT Stone Forsythe [Florida] 6'8" 307lbs.

We know that Pace does not value the OL enough to sink major picks into it, but I think he knows that they need options. Forsythe is an SEC starting LT, with size and movement skills, but he needs some development. He can come in and compete at LT or RT and gives the Bears a young talented OT that can hopefully take over for our mediocre OTs at some point.

NSuGGK-4.jpg

5. S Caden Sterns [Texas] 6' 210lbs.

Sterns is not flashy and he is not a top end athlete. He is a reliable and smart player that can be developed at the SS spot and compete with Bush. The Bears have their play making safety in Jackson, although I would like him to get back to making more plays, what they need is a cheap, reliable player next to him that can do the dirty work we do not want to ask Jackson to do. Sterns fits that mold and should be an early contributor on special teams.

https%3A%2F%2Fhookemheadlines.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fimagn-images%2F2017%2F07%2F11766117-850x560.jpeg

6. WR Marlon Williams [UCF] 6' 222lbs.

The Bears need a WR 5 that has a skill set they do not have and that can play special teams. Williams is built like a RB playing WR and he is really powerful and physical after the catch. On offense he can bring a bruising style that the Bears do not really have. He also has the size and temperament to be a special teams contributor in the WR core which the Bears do not have.

6WEXK57CVZGKJCFNRBR5OHAHPM.jpg

6. C Jimmy Morrisey [Pitt] 6'3" 300lbs.

The Bears have a lot of Cs on the roster that are better at OG and they need to ensure that an injury to Musitpher doesn't cause a massive line shift. Morrisey is a lunch pale type of pivot with good size and movement skills. He is a solid pass protector and based on his experience should hopefully be able to make the active roster. He had a really impressive 3 cone time, which is a good test when it comes to playing C in a zone heavy scheme.

3389383_web1_gtr-morrisseyKO-112520.jpg

6. TE Quentin Morris [Bowling Green] 6'2" 245lbs.

The Bears need to start developing a young U TE that has some athletic ability and is more dynamic in the passing game than Kmet. Morris is undersized but he has the burst in the passing game that Kmet is missing and would offer a nice compliment to him in the passing game with some development. It is unlikely that Morris will be the long term U for the Bears but they need to start looking for the next one.

SPT-BGFB09-35.jpg

6. NT Naquan Jones [Michigan St] 6'4" 323lbs.

The Bears need a backup NT that is not going to play a ton of snaps, but who can provide a little rotational beef. Jones is built like a fridge and while I doubt he ever has an impact as a pass rusher in the NFL he should be a nice cheap backup NT on a 4 year rookie deal.

4299-15937-original.jpeg

Depth Chart

QB: Dalton, Newman, Foles
RB: Montgomery, Williams, Cohen, Pierce
WR: Robinson, Mooney, Bateman, Ridley, Williams
TE: Kmet, Graham, Holtz, Morris
LT: Leno/Forsythe
LG: Whitehair, Hambright
C: Mustipher, Morrisey
RG: Daniels, Bars
RT: Ifedi, Wilkerson

RE: Nichols, Edwards
NT: Goldman, Jones
LE: Hicks, Blackson
OLB: Attouchu, Quinn, Gipson
ILB: Smith, Woods, Iggy
ILB: Trevathan, Jones
OLB: Mack, Vaughters
CB: Johnson, Trufant/Joseph, Vildor, Shelley, Burns
FS: Jackson, DHC
SS: Buch, Stearns

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Not sure about the Bears QB situation, but barring a huge trade for established QB or moving up, I would much rather they concentrate on bringing in good talent at needed positions with the higher picks and then go the route of Mills/Ramsey/Ehlinger/Book/Brady Davis taking a couple later/UDFA guys

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Whitehair and Daniels were drafted 58/39 respectively. Quit being dramatic.

Now, do tackles! Pace picked those guys to replace Eric Kush and Ted Larsen. Not anyone with real $$ committed to him. They clearly aren't going to replace Whitehair or Daniels (nor should they). They probably aren't moving them back to center where they both were below average when they last played there. They probably aren't drafting a rookie to replace Mustipher, because of Daniels not being able to handle C as a rookie. So that leaves tackles. Ifedi was paid 4.5Mil to start. And given that Whitehair and Daniels won't be back at C, he's going to be the RT. Then there's Leno. I do think the Bears could cut Leno if they find a legit OT that can start day 1 at LT. They need to clear space to even sign a draft class. But I think the Bears value WR and CB more. I think they think they are better off with Leno starting than either Ridley (Miller will be traded) or Trufant (no guaranteed money, 15 games in last 2 years) starting. So I think WR and CB will be the first 2 picks.

This is a damn good mock draft that I'd be happy with, and I'm not really a Newman fan.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Pace's OL draft picks:

2015:
3rd : Hroniss Grasu
6th: Tayo Fabuluje

2016:
2nd: Cody Whitehair

2017:
5th: Jordan Morgan

2018:
2nd: James Daniels

2019: None

2020:
7th: Arlington Hambright
7th: Lachavious Simmons

In 6 years, he's drafted only 2 more offensive lineman than are on the field during the game.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

In 6 drafts he has spent 2 premium picks on OGs.

He has never drafted an OT higher than the 6th round.

It is pretty clear that he does not believe in building the line with premium picks.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am also not a huge Newman fan. I think he is a huge swing.

But they are going to need someone who has a reasonable shot of at least giving them a Jalen Hurts level of performance. Newman has a ton of tools.

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
Nice mock. Like the top 2 picks if we wait on a QB. Newman is an interesting project. We might need Dalton for 2 years with him but he has a chance to be a good QB.

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
Waiting that late for a QB it would be Newman or Franks. Both projects with big arms and bodies.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Solid draft other than Newmann. Obviously depends who's on the board at #20. I'd prefer Hudson for T in R4 (although again no idea who will be there). But overall this is pretty good.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I am also not a huge Newman fan. I think he is a huge swing.

But they are going to need someone who has a reasonable shot of at least giving them a Jalen Hurts level of performance. Newman has a ton of tools.

Exactly. Not going to complain about drafting a QB when it's not an extreme reach. Newman probably is going to suck, but so are like 4/5 of the other QBs in this draft class. And it's just another in the long line of Bears sucky QBs, except this one has 0 expectation. If he's good, great. If he's not, no big deal. Worth a shot.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Now, do tackles! Pace picked those guys to replace Eric Kush and Ted Larsen. Not anyone with real $$ committed to him. They clearly aren't going to replace Whitehair or Daniels (nor should they). They probably aren't moving them back to center where they both were below average when they last played there. They probably aren't drafting a rookie to replace Mustipher, because of Daniels not being able to handle C as a rookie. So that leaves tackles. Ifedi was paid 4.5Mil to start. And given that Whitehair and Daniels won't be back at C, he's going to be the RT. Then there's Leno. I do think the Bears could cut Leno if they find a legit OT that can start day 1 at LT. They need to clear space to even sign a draft class. But I think the Bears value WR and CB more. I think they think they are better off with Leno starting than either Ridley (Miller will be traded) or Trufant (no guaranteed money, 15 games in last 2 years) starting. So I think WR and CB will be the first 2 picks.

This is a damn good mock draft that I'd be happy with, and I'm not really a Newman fan.

How much would the Bears save by cutting Leno and could they get Eric Fisher, R.Okung or A.Villanueva or even old man Jason Peters to sign for what we save cutting Leno?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Pace's OL draft picks:

2015:
3rd : Hroniss Grasu
6th: Tayo Fabuluje

2016:
2nd: Cody Whitehair

2017:
5th: Jordan Morgan

2018:
2nd: James Daniels

2019: None

2020:
7th: Arlington Hambright
7th: Lachavious Simmons

In 6 years, he's drafted only 2 more offensive lineman than are on the field during the game.

Probably because they've had Leno and Massie locked up into long term deals so he didn't see the need to spend any early or mid round picks at tackle with them both on long term deals. They both were decent tackles when they got signed to their deals.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
In 6 drafts he has spent 2 premium picks on OGs.

He has never drafted an OT higher than the 6th round.

It is pretty clear that he does not believe in building the line with premium picks.

So you think he should of drafted their backups because they're both clearly starters? This is not sarcasm at all, i'm just wondering cause if he already has o-linemen locked up as the starters then why draft more?

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
How much would the Bears save by cutting Leno and could they get Eric Fisher, R.Okung or A.Villanueva or even old man Jason Peters to sign for what we save cutting Leno?
I thought Fisher is a long shot to play this year? Wasn't he the OL that tore his knee up in the playoffs?

Anyway, I want every draft pick to be a tackle. Shouldn't listen to me, but for real, I am more pessimistic about our tackle situation than QB. It's that bad.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I like the draft and it feels very much like a Pace draft:
1. Disappointed with his refusal to draft a tackle high enough that there is hope that he could supplant Leno.
2. Bateman feels like a high floor, low ceiling kind of pick, but picking at 20 you need to get a starter, but Bateman will likely never be a superstar.
3. The reason CB in the second makes sense is because they cut Fuller, so it is self inflicted
4. Taking a developmental QB in the third means his draft status is not going to stop you from taking another QB next year. I would like an OT here but ...Pace will likely live up to his stubbornness
5. Taking a Tackle in the 4th round is a step up if Pace was to do something like this, but this is the fringe of talent that you could resonably expect to be a starter. Still I would prefer OT be selected in rounds 1-3.

The rest are all just depth and an outside shot of making the team and contributing.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I thought Fisher is a long shot to play this year? Wasn't he the OL that tore his knee up in the playoffs?

Anyway, I want every draft pick to be a tackle. Shouldn't listen to me, but for real, I am more pessimistic about our tackle situation than QB. It's that bad.

He’s not a long shot but is probably still in rehab. Think he’s scheduled to be ready right around camp so it is a risk but from what Ive read he should be ready sometime this year.